Let's assume it's Steve Bruce, happy with that?

15 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

To disregard a whole raft of managers purely because of being foreign seems a little foolhardy to me.    

Well to be honest to disregard the behind the scenes stuff is absolute absurd to me.

Did Paul Jewell, Peter Shreeves, Terry Yorath, Chris Turner, Paul Sturruck, Brian Laws, Alan Irvine, Gary Megson, Dave Jones, Stuart Gray have anywhere near the money to spend that Carlos had, or the squad that Jos Luhukay inherited in the 2nd flight?

Edited by HarryPlopper

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not jumping for joy at Bruce but if asking happy yes or no I would certainly say yes.

We wanted someone who has Championship experiance. Bruce got a good track record and best of all he wont stand for any nonsense with things like recruitment. Hopefully be an end to signing players on big money that manager either does not want or doesnt know how to use.

The bit that concerns me is that we have paid over the odds wages and accepted him not starting to after his holiday (although can see the reasons). Doesnt come across that he is chomping at the bit to start.

He's on holiday with his family. Can hardly be expected to pack his bags up and return early just to get immediately started. Football is a big deal and the money he will be earning certainly demands 100% commitment but he's human at the end of the day with a family just like the rest of us. 

P.s acknowledge that you said you did see the reasons. Just my thoughts on the matter 

Edited by poite
  • Like 1

How can Bruce appointment be in question really.

we have been crying out after last two appointments for a British manager that knows the league and players in n around..

four promotions. Prem experience. Should attract good players. Will gain respect. Won’t be a yes man. 

No brainer. 

5 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Well to be honest to disregard the behind the scenes stuff is absolute absurd to me.

Did Paul Jewell, Peter Shreeves, Terry Yorath, Chris Turner, Paul Sturruck, Brian Laws, Alan Irvine, Gary Megson, Dave Jones, Stuart Gray have anywhere near the money to spend that Carlos had, or the squad that Jos Luhukay inherited in the 2nd flight?

None of those have had major success in football since they left so its a fair assumption that they wouldn't have fared any better than CC and Jos

18 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's got the experience we've craved. 

With hard work and a bit of luck...

Luck certainly. 

(speaking non-theologically for a moment)

Sometimes managers gel with clubs and players and fans and sometimes they don't. None of it is nailed on.

As to wages,  as I have said on another thread,  the manager is more influential than any individual player and to skimp on his wages is foolish. If Bruce does get us promoted,  2 million will be a drop in the ocean. Considering what we have spent / would like to spend on players. It's a strange world football where the boss earns less than the workers. 

Edited by Rev Owl

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

None of those have had major success in football since they left so its a fair assumption that they wouldn't have fared any better than CC and Jos

Can't argue with a stupid man so I bow out.

Ignore my points to make your own every time.

Those men I quoted did not have the resources that CC had, and any one who says or argues otherwise is as dim as you are Mycroft - you clearly are not as smart as the character you take your name from.

Don't quote or talk to me again, I will not engage with you as you quite simply talk crap.

• Haha 4

My only concern will be the style of football. We were spoiled under Carlos with high tempo attacking play. Under Jos with a lot of good players injured or frozen out we didn’t have an identity.

All I really want is a solid team who can score goals to win games. I think Bruce will bring that. Might not be the best football but it would be nice to go to Hillsborough anticipating a win rather than wondering which defender will make the mistake which costs us a goal. 

Just now, HarryPlopper said:

Can't argue with a stupid man so I bow out.

Ignore my points to make your own every time.

Those men I quoted did not have the resources that CC had, and any one who says or argues otherwise is as dim as you are Mycroft - you clearly are not as smart as the character you take your name from.

Don't quote or talk to me again, I will not engage with you as you quite simply talk crap.

No one said that they had the resources as CC, you're constructing a very poor strawman argument.   Good day to you Sir. 

Still remember Bruce talking about the Wednesday Fans after the playoff final.  Most Managers would have been talking about their team, club, fans etc after winning promotion but he seemed blown away by our support.  Always wondered if he wasn't fated to come to Hillsborough at some point, could be wrong but convinced he stated as such in a interview.

• Like 1

I hope I'm not building Bruce into something he isn't, but I think although he's been a pantomime villan for me in the past he's everything Wednesday have lacked in recent years.

Wednesday have lacked communication skills from the Board to the Pitch in recent years and Bruce will fix that in one fell swoop, hopefully being the old school sporting director/ manager.

He's well connected and has a reputation for bringing ex players with him, for me that takes us back to the days of Big Ron, which was the start of the most successful spell in the club's modern history. I hope his connections are also going to see some new names we have not heard of turn up from clubs he's been associated with. Players he knows he can rely on. It will be interesting to see if we can get any cast offs from the Man Utd youth team using his connections in the game.

This will only work if he's allowed to bring in better players into midfield and defence, something which I assume will only really start to happen in the Summer. You also have to assume this is happening because Mr C is still trying to drive Wednesday forward if he signs Bruce.

I also think it bodes well that he achieved success at Hull. Wednesday maybe a step down from Villa, but without being patronising to Hull, but in my blue and white biased eyes Wednesday are potentially a much bigger club than Hull.

Hopefully, a Happy New Year to us all.

:Chansiri:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ponym110 said:

Still remember Bruce talking about the Wednesday Fans after the playoff final.  Most Managers would have been talking about their team, club, fans etc after winning promotion but he seemed blown away by our support.  Always wondered if he wasn't fated to come to Hillsborough at some point, could be wrong but convinced he stated as such in a interview.

That's Bruce Fergy time winner against Wednesday all those years ago on Sky Sports again this evening as I heard Waddle describe that the lines man forgot to start his watch after an injury to the ref on the Owl Sanctuary pod cast.

Bruce played in the Rumbelows Cup final so he knows what Wednesday can achieve.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Football_League_Cup_Final

Let's face it Hull didn't even sell their half of Wembley in the play off final.

Football is a funny old game and has strange twists of fate.

Expectations are the key for me. He was under pressure at Villa as the expectations were building. He'll have a season and a half here before he has to actually have to produce the success you all crave. The caveat to that of course is we stay in the Championship which shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

• Like 1

It’s not an appointment that really will excite fans, but it’s the appointment of a steady hand. Someone who’s been there, done that and will bring stability to the club. 

Bit of an old school manager, but that is probably what we need at the moment and will be good for the club long term.

Edited by Shezza

Not my first choice but not far off, we aren’t going to see champagne football but we will see a well organised effective unit. Hopefully Bruce will be a success but also signify a change in direction, managers left to manage .i don’t see chansiri going anywhere soon hope he lets football people run the football side of the club 

got to be far far better than what we have witnessed over the last year As it was turgid at times ,so any different to that will do me and the players will all get a fresh start to stake a claim so they will have to put a shift in ,So yes i'm happy