FAO Cameron Dawson

18 hours ago, SiJ said:

Put in a very difficult position by Jos and then treated pretty poorly by a section of the fanbase. 

Westwood is back and right now his experience and quality is just what we need. Hopefully, Cameron doesn't let this knock his confidence too much, as he's a good keeper. 

Its not Westwood coming back that will have knocked his confidence,

Its being given the burden of being no1 when your not ready by that Dutch Muppet.

He was never ever going to be ready this season for 46 Championship games.

My own feeling, based on this season's  performances of the WHOLE team -

Were I to be Cameron Dawson, I would be knocking on Chansiri's door asking for a transfer!

I would have no wish to stay at a club where the fans pick the side! The only regular, consistent and excellent performer in a crap Wednesday side this year, is sidelined once Jos left for a player who is not match-fit, but is obviously a crowd favourite. This is no disrespect to Westwood, but was a deliberate snub to CD.. We've payed crap all season, so want to make changes. but nothing can alter the fact that the change was a crowd-appeaser. Were I to be CD, I would view my future very closely at SW.

This is in no way detremental to Westwood, whom I admire,, but we were constantly being asked to accept that Dawson was Westwood's stand-in until such time arose when he could come in and prove himself. This,he has done, but now the ground rules are changed!

I still maintain this move was a crowd-appeasement move. 

Dawson and Wildsmith both desperately need a loan somewhere playing first team football.

Can we afford to sign a decent experienced back up to Westwood which would allow this to happen? 

I doubt it.

So I’d probably get Wildsmith out on loan in January and then try and get Dawson out on loan for a full season next year. 

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Can we please stop with 'Westy' love in, David Blunkett could have kept a clean sheet against that poor 10 man Preston. Lets be honest as well, his kicking was also poor throughout the game, Dawson would have been slaughtered for the same thing.The whole team seemed to give an extra 20% on saturday which probably more down to the fact that Jos was sacked. Also the defence were keeping a higher line and had been told to get the ball forward quicker. I bet Dawson was thinking F.. K me, they change everything and i get dropped. 

Agree Dawson needs to be more vocal to his defence, but in general is an excellent young keeper. 

After the way Dawson has performed with the constant changes in defence and poor management by Jos. For me he deserves his chance under new regime to keep the gloves. 

I know we have disagreed in the past but top post and bang on . I’ve always rated Westwood but he’s a decent championship keeper who can’t kick , nothing more . The treatment of Dawson was shocking ...

11 minutes ago, modboy said:

Personally would loan him out for the remainder of the season. A decent league one side. No point him being sat on the bench 

It's not football manager.....a decent league 1 side will already have a decent keeper to go with their 'decent' status

No matter what anyone thinks of the goalkeeping situation

For a young kid to be subjected to the amount of abuse that Dawson received from his own supporters is just inexcusable

Some so called Wednesdayites need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Thanks 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Dawson’s conceded 40 goals this season. Granted not every goal he’s conceded has been his fault but the way he commands his area and organises his defence tells you he’s a big reason why our defensive record is so bad but I expect to get negged for stating the bleedin obvious?

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Dawson’s conceded 40 goals this season. Granted not every goal he’s conceded has been his fault but the way he commands his area and organises his defence tells you he’s a big reason why our defensive record is so bad but I expect to get negged for stating the bleedin obvious?

So. We have a crap defence. Dawson may have conceded 40 goals, BUT he isn't the only man in the defence. He's just the last line, and its a bit hard to cover the goals when you are being constantly overrun. If anybody can tell me which of the defenders IS good enough, I'm pleased to hear.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

My own feeling, based on this season's  performances of the WHOLE team -

Were I to be Cameron Dawson, I would be knocking on Chansiri's door asking for a transfer!

I would have no wish to stay at a club where the fans pick the side! The only regular, consistent and excellent performer in a crap Wednesday side this year, is sidelined once Jos left for a player who is not match-fit, but is obviously a crowd favourite. This is no disrespect to Westwood, but was a deliberate snub to CD.. We've payed crap all season, so want to make changes. but nothing can alter the fact that the change was a crowd-appeaser. Were I to be CD, I would view my future very closely at SW.

This is in no way detremental to Westwood, whom I admire,, but we were constantly being asked to accept that Dawson was Westwood's stand-in until such time arose when he could come in and prove himself. This,he has done, but now the ground rules are changed!

I still maintain this move was a crowd-appeasement move. 

Agree with most of what you say except the highlighted bit.

Whilst I think CD has a great future and hope it's with us, he's nowhere near the finished article.

Good shot stopper yes but that's where it currently ends. No command of his area, doesn't come for crosses and doesn't talk to/chastise defenders.

I guess a lot of this could be down to confidence, being thrown into a struggling team and being exposed.

We can see this, why can't Weaver and why is he not working with CD on these areas of his game.

To be honest, I'd like to see CD as our no.1 keeper going forward with KW as goalkeeping coach.

Also, quite rightly said by others, he shouldn't get abuse on match day.

Edited by ElsecarOwl

8 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

So. We have a crap defence. Dawson may have conceded 40 goals, BUT he isn't the only man in the defence. He's just the last line, and its a bit hard to cover the goals when you are being constantly overrun. If anybody can tell me which of the defenders IS good enough, I'm pleased to hear.

Well Tom Lees looked a different player with Westwood behind him in goal, did he not? Granted the full-backs need changing but you can’t deny that apart from being a decent shotstopper he’s terrible at commanding his area but this should improve in time but we can’t afford to get relegated while we’re waiting for him to improve on this?

I don’t usually neg posters but you can have one back :tongue:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

This was probably JL’s worst single decision 

And thats no reflection Dawson - he just wasn’t/isn’t ready.

Westwood is one of the best keepers in the league and clearly instills confidence in the defence (badly needed).

Genuinely don’t know JL was trying to achieve here - but it backfired badly and imo largely precipitated the rot which ultimately cost him his job.