FAO Cameron Dawson

Think the lad deserves some praise for his efforts this season. It cannot be easy knowing you are not the crowds #1 choice and hearing Hillsborough chant the name of another keeper, whilst having that team in front of you defending like a bunch of numpties... which is not their fault btw. 

He has done a good job this season in difficult circumstances. It is harsh what has happened but at the same time totally understandable. I hope he realises that he has a bright future and that Westwood had to come in. LB is right that Westwood’s selection picked the crowd up, and given our defensive record this season it was right to change the keeper in my opinion. But that is not to criticise Dawson in any way. 

Also worth a thought for Wildsmith who went from #2 to #3 yesterday. Another quality keeper with a bright future. 

UTO WAWAW

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Put in a very difficult position by Jos and then treated pretty poorly by a section of the fanbase. 

Westwood is back and right now his experience and quality is just what we need. Hopefully, Cameron doesn't let this knock his confidence too much, as he's a good keeper. 

3 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Think the lad deserves some praise for his efforts this season. It cannot be easy knowing you are not the crowds #1 choice and hearing Hillsborough chant the name of another keeper, whilst having that team in front of you defending like a bunch of numpties... which is not their fault btw. 

He has done a good job this season in difficult circumstances. It is harsh what has happened but at the same time totally understandable. I hope he realises that he has a bright future and that Westwood had to come in. LB is right that Westwood’s selection picked the crowd up, and given our defensive record this season it was right to change the keeper in my opinion. But that is not to criticise Dawson in any way. 

Also worth a thought for Wildsmith who went from #2 to #3 yesterday. Another quality keeper with a bright future. 

UTO WAWAW

Indeed, but his time will come again

He might not realise it yet but I think the lads performed well under preasure from both the fans and a result base having that run without a clean sheet would have been difficult and now the set back to being dropped 

this season will bow well for his future he’ll come back stronger and better for it 

and it might only be a few games before westy moves on and Cammy is our first choice for years to come 

1 minute ago, Highbury Owl said:

Hasn't been easy for him considering the quality of our defensive formations this season.

This too.

How on earth Jos thought constantly changing the backline in front of him was anyone's guess. 

Can't imagine Westwood accepting such nonsense. Perhaps Jos flipped about because he knew the kid wasn't going to say anything? 

Maybe he will be mollified by the fact that Bullen said in his press conference "Dawson could still play 100's of games for Wednesday"

and Westwoods tweet yesterday more or less starting with

"Whatever happens in the future"

Point to the fact that Westy may well be off in January.

If this is the case Cameron Dawsons future is bright, although from a fans point of view its been a criminal neglect of probably the best keeper in the division for nigh on 12 months.

Thats not Dawsons fault, though I believe most of the criticism has come his way on the back of the Westwood saga...If Cameron can accept that, its onwards and upwards...hopefully

17 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

bring him on for every penalty against us lol

He’s as good a shot-stopper as Westwood from any range IMO, and better from 12 or less. He’s shown absolute lightning reactions on about five ‘90% to score’ occasions already. Not quite got the experience to know exactly where to be from every cross etc, and who could blame him for that. He’s looked a lot less green than his years, but he is relatively inexperienced yet. Westwood’s canniness can’t be achieved any other way than with hundreds of games under your belt, and we need that right now because the rest of the gameplan still wobbly as heck.

Future’s bright with Cam and Joe though. Doubt Cam will take the change to heart, he absolutely shouldn’t and he’s done very well. Looking forward to having him back in due course.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Jos’ treatment of Dawson made me angry. He had a duty to look after his younger players and, in my opinion, he failed. 

Dawson deserves credit; a lot of it. Looking forward he could do with a loan move to another club less in the spotlight where he can learn to be a #1. 

The fans treatment of Dawson makes me angry. Embarrassing 

In terms of goalkeeping, he's a kid.

His exposure to the first team will help him massively, there will be no doubt to Cam what areas he needs to develop.

Now he can sit back and learn from one of the best Keepers in the Championship.

Hopefully he will naturally overtake Keiren at some point over the next 2 seasons.

Keepers should be hoping to play in the top 2 tiers by the time they hit their mid 20s, that gives them 10 years of first team football if they are lucky.

Hopefully Cam and Joe will be competing for that number 1 for the next 15 years.

1 hour ago, southstand said:

It was nice to hear bully went to his home Friday night to inform him westy would play Saturday 

touch of good man management 

Straight up, decent stuff.

Dawson is the future for this club, along with Wildsmith - but right now it was the absolute perfect time to re-introduce Westwood, the reaction of the kop showed that.