thanks from westwood

11 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

In a way it kind of is because he’s out of contract end of season and DC said at the fan forum he would be leaving , not personal choice think it’s more they can’t offer him a contract

Why cant they offer him a new contract but on a more realistic amount for a mid table championship team? Cant see anyone else offering him close to what hes currently getting. I may be wrong but would be surprised. 

He’s just a standard guy with a huge talent, for reasons that we’ll never know both Hutch and he were frozen out by forces that have all but destroyed our club, not to forget Dawson who was used in the internal politics that DC must take the responsibility for. Can we now have a manager who manages, a coaching team that coach and a chairman who keeps his nose out of matters that are beyond his comprehension?

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Not at all.

But I wonder if it might have been part of his non-appearances this season, so maybe it did actually cost us.

Regardless I was more just suggesting that whilst talented, I’m not sure saying he’s the best professional is entirely accurate

Do you have any more than here say and gossip to base your belief on? 

A few also said he was a bad apple and unpopular in the squad - looked like the team were really disappointed to have him back in the side yesterday!

If we are just basing perceptions on gossip then I have heard Westwood had a lighter training regime under previous managers to account for his past injuries, maybe Jos didn't feel this was necessary and so took a harder line - which clearly aided our defensive record.

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you have any more than here say and gossip to base your belief on? 

A few also said he was a bad apple and unpopular in the squad - looked like the team were really disappointed to have him back in the side yesterday!

If we are just basing perceptions on gossip then I have heard Westwood had a lighter training regime under previous managers to account for his past injuries, maybe Jos didn't feel this was necessary and so took a harder line - which clearly aided our defensive record.

Yes.

Chris Kirkland and Martin O’Neill. 

Both commented about it

Edited by McRightSide

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Yes.

Both commented about it

Kirkland has commented on it yes, never said he wouldn't pick him though and acknowledged that Westwood constantly performed as one of the best at this level. 

O'Neill picked Millwall's keeper as 1st choice for Ireland when he was dropping blunders every month, not sure he is the best judge as his past few years as their boss indicate.

Everyone in football will have been made aware of Westy's situation at S6 under Luhukay. His phone won't have stopped ringing since he was announced as third choice by Luhukay. There will be lots of clubs after him. What we have to do now is to be smart and get him to re-sign. However, to fund this type of contract and also to satisfy FFP we will have to sell others in the window.

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Yes.

Both commented about it

13 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Kirkland has commented on it yes, never said he wouldn't pick him though and acknowledged that Westwood constantly performed as one of the best at this level. 

O'Neill picked Millwall's keeper as 1st choice for Ireland when he was dropping blunders every month, not sure he is the best judge as his past few years as their boss indicate.

What an easy life it would be for managers if all players were like robots and had exactly the same attitude and approach to training. This isn't the reality and part of the job of management is to deal with things like this appropriately. No previous manager in Westwood's career has seemingly taken the course of freezing him out completely and continued this stubborn approach despite the fact his team have the worst defensive record in the division having previously been among the best for a few years.

Plenty of players don't enjoy training or have different regimes to manage past injuries but continue to get picked as long as they perform on the match day and don't create disharmony in the squad - it didn't look like the other players resented him being back in the squad yesterday.

We have one of the best paid goalkeepers in the division - who is among the best paid thanks to what he has done for us. We have been paying him handsomely for literally nothing, not even sitting on the bench or academy games and speculation is that we could lose him for next to nothing next month - to a team who are going for automatic promotion and want him as their first choice. Great management of resources on our part that.

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Again, talent over professionalism though

Arrived rather closer to ko yesterday, and was surprised to see Westwood named in goal.. During the past few weeks, as a Westwood fan, I have followed closely the matches that have been played, and , whilst I wasn't too surprised, I was convinced that certainly the one defender who deserved to be retained was Dawson.. Not having the twisted thinking of many OP's , I was convinced that this had come about for two reasons. The first was a thought that perhaps it might be a good idea for Dawson's development to rest him, because the defence in front of him was so crap that he was probably getting a little shell-shocked. The second, and reading both Westwood's comments, and Bullen's, which I must take at face value, this was done for ONE REASON alone - a sop to the fans! And obviously to get a positive vibe from the crowd. It worked.

I cannot read anything more into W's twatter than a big Thank You to the crowd. Nowhere does it intimate to me anywhere that he is definitely moving.

As for the game itself, Westwood played a Goalkeeper's role.He took free kicks, and challenged for cross balls from corners.Preston rarely offered a threat, even when playing  with eleven men. It was a dream game for a goalkeeper. Money for nothing, no more.

17 minutes ago, erowl said:

Also proves you need all the management team singing from the same sheet ... Jos ostracised players and Bullen (part of his team) immediately brings some of them in from the cold!

So Bullen obviously didn't agree with the Dutch Maestro

Bullen alluded in his press conference that he played Westwood and Hutchinson to give crowd a lift and he also said he agreed with previous managers opinion.

Don’t forget Westwood signed for us when Mandaric was in charge and we weren’t exactly lobbing money everywhere. That means he could be open to a new contract on reduced money. Game time, general happiness and affinity with a club go a long way with some players.

14 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

He’s off.

Thanks Jos.

Why? Thats to the second line. Do you know the reason why he wasn't picked. Do you believe everything the chairman says.

2 hours ago, ANDY said:

I heard that under the previous manager (CC) Westwood got away with doing minimal training.

Jos wanted him in at least 4 times a week.

That was the latest rumour I heard. Can't prove or disprove it any more than many of the other rumours that circulate but it seems plausible.

Some players have serious injuries and fitness issues that mean full training isn't practical for them. There have been plenty of high-profile players in the past like McGrath and Ledley King who were like this and I am sure there are a fair few others. If it is agreed and there is legitimate reasoning behind it then it makes sense and shouldn't upset the rest of the squad.  I've never got the impression that the squad appear to resent Westwood in any way.