Is Steve Bruce the answer

23 hours ago, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

what like the dinosaur COLIN hasn't?

the games same as it always was, score more than the opposition and you win.

oh no! not hoofball, get it down and past it around the backline for half an hour, that's 'proper modern' football.

give him a chance first, he has won promotions from this division, we ought to know that, we gave him one of them.

• Thanks 1

If id recently bought a Championship club and, had ambitions of promotion, the first name on the list of potential managers would be Bruce. 

If this happens, and, its looks like its already done, Chansiri deserves some praise.

Half a season left to have a good go at the top 6 with a squad still capable and, a quality manager in place. Id also hazard a guess that we'll be busy in January, he's rolling the dice IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

If id recently bought a Championship club and, had ambitions of promotion, the first name on the list of potential managers would be Bruce. 

If this happens, and, its looks like its already done, Chansiri deserves some praise.

Half a season left to have a good go at the top 6 with a squad still capable and, a quality manager in place. Id also hazard a guess that we'll be busy in January, he's rolling the dice IMO. 

Agree with this, tho I think playoffs is unlikely. There’s still the nucleus of a good championship team.  If Bruce can make 3 shrewd loan signings in January and organise us into a set formation and line up, we can win a few more games 

Forestieri   Fletcher

Reach  Bannan  New DM   New RW

Penney Hector   Lees    New RB

Westwood 

Given that we don’t have millions to lavish on the squad, and the fact that other coaches may play a more entertaining brand of football, he wouldn’t have been my choice However, he’s a steady (if expensive) hand on the tiller, and we already have good players at the club. With his contacts, he can hopefully source the missing pieces to the jigsaw, and he’s proven that, with the right ingredients, he can get sides out of this division So, not my first choice, but not the worst choice either, and if we can keep hold on to most of our better players, then he should do well

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

Agree with this, tho I think playoffs is unlikely. There’s still the nucleus of a good championship team.  If Bruce can make 3 shrewd loan signings in January and organise us into a set formation and line up, we can win a few more games 

Forestieri   Fletcher

Westwood 

Been waiting for a decent rb since Roly.

I'd spaff my pants if we signed one.

• Like 2

He’s comfortably the best manager available to us at this point. Without checking any stats, I’d say he’s probably the safest, most proven pair of Championship hands there is behind Warnock.

I’m not going to allow the opinions of Aston Villa fans to influence this; a club whose sole strategy to Championship life has been to try and brute force their way past everyone else in the division financially and expect that alone to work. A club who couldn’t pay their tax bill in the summer and will allegedly “qualify” for an FFP bumming in the summer that just spent £7m on a goalkeeper. Hope they get humped by Leeds today and I don’t say that often. 

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

If Bruce can make 3 shrewd loan signings in January and organise us into a set formation and line up, we can win a few more games 

Forestieri   Fletcher

Westwood 

This ^^, I think under Bruce we’ll finally see a formation and players signed that we need. It’s going to be interesting what funds we have as Bruce wouldn’t take the job if it was to be zero incomings 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Forestieri   Fletcher

Westwood 

FF has seldom played well as a striker (or in the hole) during his time for us. Devils advocate here...If you were picking that side (442) wouldn't you play Joao with Fletcher and *FF right wing? 

*edit: I'm not a fan of playing FF anywhere other than LW or on the left of a front three myself. 

Edited by Walt

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

FF has seldom played well as a striker (or in the hole) during his time for us. If you were picking that side (442) wouldn't you play Joao with Fletcher and FF right wing? 

Personally I think if we can get an attacking RW/forward it can be 433 when attacking and 442 shape when defending.  This is something we missed during Carlos’ second season too. Ideally we need a player similar to Knockaert or Antonio. But not actually those players obviously 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Personally I think if we can get an attacking RW/forward it can be 433 when attacking and 442 shape when defending.  This is something we missed during Carlos’ second season too. Ideally we need a player similar to Knockaert or Antonio. But not actually those players obviously 

Yeah, a lot of people wanted us to sign a couple of players to enable us to go 433 when CC was here. The Arsenal cup game we won 3-0 we actually played a 433 and then reverted back to 442 the very next game.

Lets be honest,  if we'd got Bruce in as manager before his spell at Villa we'd have been unanimous that it was a great appointment with his record. I think it's just his perceived failure at Villa (where he still came within 1 game of an unprecedented 5th promotion from this league) which is making some doubt him. 

We've tried the random foreigner approach and it's failed. We've now gone for the experienced proven manager in the division we're in, for the first time in years, and still some people complain so I don't know quite who these people expect us to be able to get in our position. 

• Like 2

He's as good an appointment as we can hope for. 

After the nonsense of Carlos (towards the end) and the shambles that was Jos - a good manager, with proven pedigree is exactly what we need. 

A steady pair of hands. 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 11:57, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Jesusfucking Christ.

If the question is: Where can we get an experienced, English Championship manager who knows the game inside out and would be the perfect person to guide an inexperiened Chairman through the cesspit of English football. Who also has contacts throughout the game and would be able to tell the likes of Doyen and Paxo to jog on and take their poison out of the club and would still be a draw for players the club wanted to bring in. Oh and it would it be asking too much for him to have been promoted out of this division 4 times???

...... Then yes. Steve Bruce is the answer.

Edited by Steelman
  • Thanks 1