Steve Bruce is too much in love with his ego to take the risk of coming to us. 

• Disagree 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Bruce is not the answer in our current position. 

Difficult to know who is but wish the best of luck to them. 

On balance, temporary appointment like Megson. Only with a job to keep us up. 

If Bruce can't make villa and their squad good we could end his career

I disagree about the Villa thing. He inherited a mess and within 18 months he had Villa one game away from a return to the premier league. I think he would’ve had Villa challenge at the top again had they not had been taken over. Once that happened there was immediate talk of Thierry Henry coming in and I think that put him under unnecessary pressure and unsettled him as a result plus he’s had a tough year from a personal point of view.

Being a past Birmingham Manager and a successful one it was never going to take much for the Villa fans to turn. I think he’ll relish the challenge here and we could yet be his last job in football so I think he’ll want to prove himself again after the Villa episode and finish his career on a high?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, NYowl said:

Having seen How Villa have performed this season I am not sure Bruce has the desire and drive any more.

Villa didn't look motivated to me and have had a real turnaround since bringing Smith in.

Would rather see someone younger on the way up with something to prove.

In fairness to Bruce, his record before this season at Championship level is excellent. It’s been a tough year for Bruce this year with the deaths of both of his parents, could the dip this year roughly at the same time be purely down to coincidence? 

Perhaps, perhaps not but if it did affect his performance you could hardly blame him.

Most managers have a bad club on their CV’s, Gary Monk who is doing a good job at Birmingham had Boro but prior to the did an excellent job at Leeds and Swansea. Gary Megson had Forest but you won’t find many fans at Hillsborough or the Hawthorns with a bad word to say about him.

£2m is a lot of money (although I’m not sure how accurate that figure is) but his CV speaks for itself and you won’t find many out of work managers with a better one than him.

• Agree 2

We havn't even got him yet and the £2m can only be speculation.

Edited by chrisd0407

1 hour ago, Anthndav said:

He managed ok at Birmingham on a shoestring budget. People forget his earlier managerial career. 

And Wigan. 8th place on a small budget and was good at finding players on the cheap who performed well, Man Utd's Valencia started with Bruce at Wigan. Think some of the Villa criticism Bruce gets is unfair, over 45% win percentage, play off final, all while working under that fruitloop "Dr." Xia who makes Chansiri seem boring and normal in comparison.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

And Wigan. 8th place on a small budget and was good at finding players on the cheap who performed well, Man Utd's Valencia started with Bruce at Wigan. Think some of the Villa criticism Bruce gets is unfair, over 45% win percentage, play off final, all while working under that fruitloop "Dr." Xia who makes Chansiri seem boring and normal in comparison.

I think that's a fair reflection.

Wasn't aware of the personal tragedies that beset him during the last 12 months or so, bound to affect anyone.

You'd only hope that he himself is ready to step back into a role that demands an awful lot of anyone.

Just looked at some stats. In 102 games with Villa his PPM was 1.60, his best since 2001. Other than getting to two playoffs Carvalhal only managed 1.56 in 131 games. Luhukay 1.27 in 48.

I couldn’t give a flying fk what he costs as long as he organises the team & gets us moving upwards.

It’s not my money, cos that covers nothing.......

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

I know he would be a good appointment but, if the reports are true, £2m seems a lot of money, especially considering the FFP situation. It is 4 times the amount Eddie Howe was paid last season. It might be just me that thinks this, but comparatively to other managers in the Championship it is also very high.

The £2m is specualtion. Your right about FFP, I can only think they will part with the likes of Bannan or Reach to give us some transfer maneuvering. I would have included FF & Hoops but they are fast turning to horse meat value with their injuries.

Edited by chrisd0407

It’s a ridiculous amount to pay for a 57 year old centre half, but we’re desperate to replace Loovens organisation (and still represents a better deal than Joost Van Aiken). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Edit

Edited by malek

3 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Bruce is in a different league to the last 2 idiots we rescued from long term unemployment.

Considering where we are financially, to bring him in would be DC's greatest achievement, and a minor miracle.

I may even smile if it happens. I have my doubts though.

Whilst I broadly agree with your sentiments I do wonder what qualifies you to call the two guys idiots. It’s this insulting of our coaches and players that really frustrates me and is so negative.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chrisd0407 said:

Just looked at some stats. In 102 games with Villa his PPM was 1.60, his best since 2001. Other than getting to two playoffs Carvalhal only managed 1.56 in 131 games. Luhukay 1.27 in 48.

And? Doesn’t this say his recent record is similar to Carlos?

11 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Whilst I broadly agree with your sentiments I do wonder what qualifies you to call the two guys idiots. It’s this insulting of our coaches and players that really frustrates me and is so negative.

Apologies. To be fair Carlos was more of a Clown, and poor old Joss was just a bit clueless and unqualified.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

And? Doesn’t this say his recent record is similar to Carlos?

And nothing. Just quoting stats.

14 hours ago, NYowl said:

Having seen How Villa have performed this season I am not sure Bruce has the desire and drive any more.

Villa didn't look motivated to me and have had a real turnaround since bringing Smith in.

Would rather see someone younger on the way up with something to prove.

That’s more to do with Smith being a good manager. Look how Brentford have dropped off since he left. I still don’t think Bruce is a done deal, money and interference from owner will scupper it. 

Steve Bruce wouldn’t come here unless he has had certain assurances about the playing squad. If he does rock up here then you you could assume DC has a plan around FFP restrictions.

Of the current squad I don’t think there’s a player there who wouldn’t sit up & listen if a manager like Bruce walked through the door. He should at least be able to organise us into something resembling a coherent side though surely?

I can't believe that all the press reports are linking us with Bruce on £2M year! Surely this is wrong? This bloke resigned from his first job with the pigs due to turmoil at boardroom level and lack of funds! We have NO money and would have to sell a player each year to pay for a man who has taken as many teams up as he has down and with lots of money at his disposal. He is not what we need right now. We would be better off with a rising star from the lower divisions who could boost our squad without emptying the bank. The right man could probably buy four decent players for £2M.

I am not one to clamour for manager's to be sacked, but as he ain't been appointed yet Bruce out!