My take

15 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Must be a different Steve Bruce we took 3 points off a couple of months back whilst fans threw stuff at him and screamed for him to be sacked. Maybe a different Steve Bruce who, once sacked, has seen his old team transformed from rubbish to excellent under dean smith.

shocking choice of manager I only hope it’s a smokescreen for someone else.

Every manager  has had a spell at a club where it didn't work out. Villa do look a lot better now but Smith should be looking to get them up, Bruce nearly managed it with them don't forget. I regard him as a bit of a chequebook manager who needs the resources to work with so am a little surprised by the strong links to us at this time but would certainly give him a chance. 

Bruce has had a very difficult year following the passing of his parents. I know the toll my parents passing had on me and so to suffer a double loss in a short space of time is bound to have an adverse affect if they were close. Hopefully the time away to reflect will see him come back with renewed ambition if he is to be our manager.

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Must be a different Steve Bruce we took 3 points off a couple of months back whilst fans threw stuff at him and screamed for him to be sacked. Maybe a different Steve Bruce who, once sacked, has seen his old team transformed from rubbish to excellent under dean smith.

Refuse to judge a man on one job. His overall track record speaks for itself 

To be honest nothing surprises me anymore. I didn't climb onboard when we were doing well and I feel no better or worse with how things are at the moment. I lived a fair amount of time and seen and experienced a lot of things, so much so that I've become desensitised to just about everything. Football almost seems unimportant anymore. I still watch/follow the lads but I just can't get excited about it anymore 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Exactly the appointment we need as it will tell us two things.

Firstly DC has decided to go down the tried and tested route and get a manager with a proven track record at this level.

Secondly, in appointing a manager such as Bruce you are effectively rendering Paxo surplus to requirements as Bruce will want full control over who comes in and how things are done.

If this happens I would be very very happy and will see it as DC has gone some way to making things right.

This is the biggest positive to Bruce. The bloke works wonders in that market, one of those managers that players want to play for. He’s got more knowledge in the market and more knowledge than any advisors he’s got on how to get teams up. 

4 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

To be honest nothing surprises me anymore. I didn't climb onboard when we were doing well and I feel no better or worse with how things are at the moment. I lived a fair amount of time and seen and experienced a lot of things, so much so that I've become desensitised to just about everything. Football almost seems unimportant anymore. I still watch/follow the lads but I just can't get excited about it anymore 

I blame the pig fans for feeling like that 

Edited by owler66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Maybe,just maybe the loss of both parents within a few months had a bearing on the latter part of his villa tenure? Just maybe he had his mind on other things ? And just maybe he has got over it and is refreshed and envigoured for a new challenge ? Who knows ,but a massive improvement on the previous 2 incumbents in both stature and know how ! :luhukay::manager:

• Like 1

Bruce wouldn't have been my first choice as I thought he'd stalled a bit recently but,

I wasn't aware of his personal issues so, if it is to be him, I hope this could be a big

turning point for both us and him and I'll wish him well and back him.

Best wishes to Jos also - he did well last season, under difficult circumstances.

Edited by Finney on the Wing

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Jos should have gone 3 months ago, but he’s gone now, so let’s move on. 

The Bruce appointment would be an excellent one for 2 reasons.

Firstly his track record at this level. He knows the league, and someone like Bruce should have followed Carlos. It was crying out for it. 

Secondly, Bruce is no mug, and doesn’t need a crap job at this stage if his career. He must have looked at this and seen a plan, and/or given assurances that he has a chance to succeed. He wouldn’t have come otherwise. For me, that’s the most important part of this appointment. It’s indicates to me that things may be changing upstairs. 

Bruce is a good bloke. I remember his class in the run up, and after the playoff final. He’s a bit like Ghia X version of Brian Laws, and he just has the gravitas and credibility to manage Sheffield Wednesday.

Great fit and well done DC. 

If he calls us Sheffield, so help me

• Haha 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

It’s always a gamble and he did struggle to get a tune out of his villa sides at times but he is by far the best of the realistic candidates out there currently...and he has tended to have a bit of a soft spot for us. I quite like how he comes across and represents his club and that is something I didnt like at all about Luhukay. 

Nonethelss its all about results at the end of the day and we need some quickly!

As I said in another thread, his sides sometimes lack an identity and can be a collection of talented players individually and we’ve seen that before under Carlos. At least that was the case at Sunderland and Villa, less so at Hull who were a solid team. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Jos should have gone 3 months ago, but he’s gone now, so let’s move on. 

The Bruce appointment would be an excellent one for 2 reasons.

Firstly his track record at this level. He knows the league, and someone like Bruce should have followed Carlos. It was crying out for it. 

Secondly, Bruce is no mug, and doesn’t need a crap job at this stage if his career. He must have looked at this and seen a plan, and/or given assurances that he has a chance to succeed. He wouldn’t have come otherwise. For me, that’s the most important part of this appointment. It’s indicates to me that things may be changing upstairs. 

Bruce is a good bloke. I remember his class in the run up, and after the playoff final. He’s a bit like Ghia X version of Brian Laws, and he just has the gravitas and credibility to manage Sheffield Wednesday.

Great fit and well done DC. 

I can a be a good bloke for 40k a week. This chairman is to say the least very unpredictable which is a worry. By the way I think Bruce would be terrible appointment especially with no funding. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Sometimes things don't work out. 

Look at Mourniho at United. 

Bet you wouldnt be saying shocking choice and how he has wrecked United if we suddenly appointed him.

19 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Two massive plus points if it's Bruce.

1. He's English & will stand up to Chansiri.

2. He knows the massive potential of this club & knows we just need to get to the premier League to realise it. 

Je also knows what this club means to its fans and won't come out with stupid comments like it's just another match when we play the unclean.