Sam Alladyce or Nigel Clough

This obsession with British managers some of our fans have really baffles me.  There's no proof that they would do any better than a non-British manager, in fact it's the complete opposite.  They have performed worse at the top end of the Championship in recent years and this season.  

11 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Apart from Big Ron, Wednesday have always thrived best under dour, phlegmatic characters comfortablenin their own skin who aren’t seeking popularity with the fan base cos they know deep down we are loyal and will respect footballing honesty at all levels.

Allardyce does half fit the bill give or take the odd bung, but his bill would be astronomical so the obvious candidates are Pearson or  Megson or Gray for me now that Mad Mick has gone back to Dublin. 

I read that pearson isn't interested in a sheffield job (I can fully understand why), gray's appointment would be an admission of getting it wrong in the first place, and wouldn't be considered (but very likely a solidifying effect), that leaves megson, who you may well figure would be at a 'very low' cost given his present management situation (he must have wore that garden out).

Just now, Suzuki_San said:

This obsession with British managers some of our fans have really baffles me.  There's no proof that they would do any better than a non-British manager, in fact it's the complete opposite.  They have performed worse at the top end of the Championship in recent years and this season.  

yeah! BUT, we're not in the 'foreign manager' market, we've been getting 'dumplings'.

the clamour for a 'british manager' is because the general fan base know these managers, know these names, know their pedigree, know, and understand their football tactics and set up will have a solidifying and stabilising effect. 

we set a clown on with a thousand words to explain his one idea, and a bloke who sits in dugout like a guy fawkes, 'kin 'ell, another appointment like that might see the club in div 2.

no more 'wild' left field appointments needed, STABILITY IS.

26 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Wednesday have always thrived best under dour, phlegmatic characters comfortablenin their own skin who aren’t seeking popularity with the fan base.

THIS

You got to have a thick skin cos when results turn sour much of the fan base simply speaks it's mind and can quickly turn.  Some of it is warranted and some of it isn't.

I think there is a new breed of manager that manages with their ego and too busy thinking about their profile.. and people from Sheffield can spot them a mile off.  It's obvious when they are simply there for themselves.  They simply have to have a love for football and want the best for Wednesday with a large dose of honesty.  Maybe this is asking too much in todays football climate which is controlled by money and 'personalities'.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

19 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

The next appointment needs to be someone who can turn the ship around. Unfortunately they have a chairman that hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing. Anyone half decent would look at what’s going on and think “do I need that hassle” 

'when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth' :-- sherlock holmes.

garymegson

13 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

It’s bizarre isn’t it Evidence suggests that most sides promoted from the championship, in recent times, were managed by overseas coaches, while all but one of the sides relegated, were managed by British managers

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s bizarre isn’t it Evidence suggests that most sides promoted from the championship, in recent times, were managed by overseas coaches, while all but one of the sides relegated, were managed by British managers

This has come off the back of Carlos's pressers...and now Jos.

When the fans were/are clamouring for answers about strange team/different setups, players in different positions and tactics they make a drama about not understanding their explanations and took/take to social media to take the p@ss.  And not even stopping to think for a second that it's not their first language.

This is why Mick Mcarthy/Megson/Warnock/Wilder are wet dreams for most Sheffield football fans 

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

10 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

THIS

You got to have a thick skin cos when results turn sour much of the fan base simply speaks it's mind and can quickly turn.  Some of it is warranted and some of it isn't.

I think there is a new breed of manager that manages with their ego and too busy thinking about their profile.. and people from Sheffield can spot them a mile off.  It's obvious when they are simply there for themselves.  They simply have to have a love for football and want the best for Wednesday with a large dose of honesty.  Maybe this is asking too much in todays football climate which is controlled by money and 'personalities'.

I think there's always (from memory) been managers with egos, clough, shankly, revie, allison, venables, ferguson, it appears more so today because of 24 hour almost 'microscopic' coverage of the game.

there are also more cities and towns than sheffield where a 'charlatan' is easily spotted, swansea for example were far quicker to catch on.

the latter 'highlighted' part of your post, could well describe megson.

2 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

This has come off the back of Carlos's pressers...and now Jos.

When the fans were/are clamouring for answers about strange team/different setups, players in different positions and tactics they make a drama about not understanding their explanations and took/take to social media to take the p@ss.  And not even stopping to think for a second that it's not their first language.

This is why Mick Mcarthy/Megson/Warnock/Wilder is a wet dream for most Sheffield football fans 

If fans can not understand JL tactics, selections etc its because the team is playing terribly and results are poor rather then anything he says in press conferences.

If he struggles to get his point across is the media as English is his second language isn't a point that he might struggle to get his point across at half time as well?

If JL was replaced I dont think being British would be an advantage necessarily but would certainly think having Championship experience would be a big plus.

You mention Mick McCarthy/Megson/Warnock/Wilder as these are some how bad managers, must have got thousands of games under their belt and probably had 15 promotions between them. 
What wrong with wanting a manager we can identify with? (although I agree being a good manager is more important). Club has lost so much of its identity last few year what's wrong with wanting some of it back?

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How many times has Warnock been promoted? 

12 of the last 18 teams that got promoted had British managers. 

when are everyone going to get it ,chansiri,carlos,jos have f**ked this club up ,chansiri says were 8 figures over ffp that's well over 10 million I would guess on top of the 39 million permitted over 3 years ,I guessing the 8 figures is just on 1 season above the 13million so carry that on over 3 years would be appx 70 million , buying ageing has beens has got us into this mess ,yer we will lose a lot of them in the summer but it is easily going to take 2-3 years minimum to get where we can be signing decent players again . just for now need someone to guide us for a couple of years ,McCarthy when he was available would have been ideal.   bruce,jokanovic , alladyce all command big fees and also have a set of there own staff what wont come cheap , none of them can work on peanuts , selling reach for 10 million would be eaten up by the overspend ,it will just be 2-3 loans we will be allowed , can those 3 work with that? 

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

What wrong with wanting a manager we can identify with? (although I agree being a good manager is more important). Club has lost so much of its identity last few year what's wrong with wanting some of it back?

Personally I think it just restricts us to a small pool of people when there is whole world of ways of handling and managing our team/club/fans.

When Carlos's methods worked it was a massive breath of fresh air, when it didn't the fans turned on him quickly.  I think we didn't have the players that could live up to his high standard trying to play triangles all over the pitch and we ended up looking like lower league Portuguese team playing a friendly.

But the point i'm making is each manager and approach is a gamble and an experiment.  Personally i'd prefer a modern approach but for mid table security maybe some old fashioned grit, determination and organisation is needed.

As for the clubs identity, i'm not sure what that is in the modern era and we've struggled hard to move on from not moving with times, financial mis-management, not being able to modernise and the shadow of the disaster.

2 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

How many times has Warnock been promoted? 

12 of the last 18 teams that got promoted had British managers. 

Go back even further and you’ll find British managers, even more to the fore. In recent times, which has to be more relevant, there is a definite trend towards foreign managers. Warnock bucked the trend last year, and more pragmatic managers like him, and Pulis, are sometimes able to crash the party It’s becoming more and more unlikely though Hopefully, some young British managers will embrace the new ideas, employed by some of the successful foreign coaches, and I think we are starting to see that happen. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Go back even further and you’ll find British managers, even more to the fore. In recent times, which has to be more relevant, there is a definite trend towards foreign managers. Warnock bucked the trend last year, and more pragmatic managers like him, and Pulis, are sometimes able to crash the party It’s becoming more and more unlikely though Hopefully, some young British managers will embrace the new ideas, employed by some of the successful foreign coaches, and I think we are starting to see that happen. 

I think it’s pretty random tbh. You can go over each team to see how and why. Like with Newcastle they had Rafa but also had a bloody good team. Wolves spent a fortune on good players that clicked. Hudds did well to get through as did Cardiff so it’s lottery really. No way were hudds 3rd best team that season. 

Edited by owlmanc

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

who at the club has the depth of football knowledge to know 1) the level of on field trouble we are in?, and 2) anything about any prospective manager replacements?

if dc wants to sell up and leaves and heads for home until the deal is done, who will oversee the football side of things? if jos is left in place for another month or two the crowds will disappear, what S/T holders left going will raise hell, we are in a spiral and the way to correct it is a passionate, knowledgeable managerial appointment.

Which is why I see Holloway as the go to guy bud and the fact he'd very probably want the job too.