Bruce on his way

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The main thing is staying up; that has to be our no1 priority.

Relegation isn't an option.

We've got to make sure that we're still in this division in a short 5 months' time.

I'd say we should worry about the future then.

I think I would agree with that. The problem is, it will be an extremely tall order to find a manager who gives us the best chance of doing that, and who has the tactical nous to take us forward. I can think of managers who might give us a decent chance of staying up, but wouldn’t be confident of them taking us forward. On the other hand, there are a few managers who I would take a punt on to build something long term, but may not be a success in the short term

26 minutes ago, Bukta said:

Most Championship Managers are on around £500k per year.

Bruce was rumoured to be on around £2 million at Villa.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Which bit. The “ rumoured to be”? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I don’t see this as being beyond the realms of possibility but let’s be honest Bruce isn’t coming here without some massive reassurances. Even then it may not be enough, thinking back to the JL interview where he appeared to reveal he didn’t know he’d be signing zero players. Trust, trust, trust!!

DC can still turn this forum in to a positive if he makes a couple of critical concessions. Advising that all ties with a certain “recruitment advisor” are severed would be a massive start. Beyond that it’s clear there isn’t enough top level football expertise in our club. I’d always favour the best candidate for the job over an insular appointment of a Wednesday old boy. But given the predatory nature of football and the money grabbing sharks out there maybe we need at least one of our own.

I hate saying this but our choices of manager are going to be extremely limited without change. There are no secrets in football and failings are well documented.

This should be top of his to do list, but it wont be, 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Mark my words, I was right about Rhodes, who also was a name with a track record at this level Just a cursory glance at where we were back then, was all I needed to tell me that Rhodes wasn’t right for us

This has similar overtones. Bruce is name, who’s also been successful at this level. However, look closer, he’s dour, and has never had any sort of success when not been allowed to spend money We are in that boat, so in my opinion, he’s the wrong man for the job

Agree wrong man. Rather have Laws actually. He knows the team and got a raw deal. Have seen his book. He was better than results looked.

Sure Brucie won’t commit unless assurances were in place. 

Full control of signings etc. 

Him picking team and his staff. 

Money to spend to strengthen. 

DC must have something in place with finances to accompany this so surely it’s win win for us fans in a way. 

A manager with Champ n Prem experience. 

Promotion experience. 

Knows the league. 

Knows the players. 

Attracts quality players. 

We we have been crying out for a manager with these stats. 

Plus some new (quality) players will come in to push us up the league. 

More inviting than a manager we’ve never heard of who was on verge or retiring who doesn’t know the league or players. 

Sounds good  to me 

Edited by ozzieowl

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

This should be top of his to do list, but it wont be, 

Agree, it’s technically a very easy win. If it doesn’t happen it’s says there are financial reasons preventing it or despite the fact that every fan can see it, DC still knows best. Not great either way.

1 minute ago, ozzieowl said:

Sure Brucie won’t commit unless assurances were in place. 

Full control of signings etc. 

Him picking team and his staff. 

Money to spend to strengthen. 

DC must have something in place with finances to accompany this so surely it’s win win for us fans in a way. 

A manager with Champ n Prem experience. 

Promotion experience. 

Knows the league. 

Knows the players. 

Attracts quality players. 

We we have been crying out for a manager with these stats. 

Plus some new (quality) players will come in to push us up the league. 

More inviting than a manager we’ve never heard of who was on verge or retiring who doesn’t know the league or players. 

Sounds good old to me 

Where is DC going to get that injection of cash from? I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you would have expected something to be in place if there was going to be significant finance for a new manager to spend. If we are looking to spend our way out of relegation trouble, then that won’t be easy, with traditionally not much business done in January. Any new manager will also need time to assess the current squad, and these things take time

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

We won't and can't get Bruce.

Secondly, Bruce would not come here in a million years! No money to spend and already in FFP problems, he tends to get clubs into FFP problems, we are already there.

He would need money to spend of which we have none to spend. There's a few reasons why he won't be coming.

Bruce the journeyman is now well minted and doesn't need the hassle of a fan base baying for blood and wanting instant fixes (of which there are none)

Your question of who is better than Steve Bruce is not really relevant. It's about who could do a job with the resources we have on offer, i.e. limited funds and a huge wage bill. Who could work with Mr C, that's a key factor. I'm not slating Bruce, he has been a good manager in the past, but he is not what we need or could get now.

I suppose, though I have misgivings about saying it, the number one choice that fits our needs and budgets would be Colin. After that Megson (if he and DC could possibly work together) so that's unlikely. After that I'm struggling, Cowley Brothers?

It maybe someone out of the blue, but it won't be Bruce.

Think you have indicated not easy getting right man in place. Warnock does not come cheap either. Think Megson and Chansiri would be a ticking bomb. 

The fact we have spoken to Bruce indicates that there may be money available (it may not be enough to tempt him) and not frightened of speaking to someone who is known to be on high wages. 

I would rather we were linked with a manager who has performed well at this level was annoyed to be dismissed and eager to prove he has still got it than some geezer who does not know teams in Championship know idea what's required has bugger all contacts in game to get right players in we need.

I live in hope we can get a manager who can get club out of crisis and on upward trend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Relegation isn't an option.

On current form it will go to the wire.

But Preston at home, then Midds and West Brom away it is quite likely it will look worse end of January.

Preston, looks like our best chance of points but they are doing quite well now, 4th on current form but tbh any team on Saturday would be tough

Not forgetting we could lose 1, 2 or 3 of our 'better players' in January and right now no signs at all of improvement.

Looks like a nailed on dog fight to stay up to me.  That's why Jos should have gone 4 or 5 games ago, time is fast running out. If Jos stays I believe we will almost certainly be relegated.

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

In all seriousness, that could happen. It would fit with DC's MO.

Could it happen? Who knows with the mess we are in at present.

I’d take it At least he knows the players, and is capable of putting winnings runs together.