Bruce on his way

1 hour ago, swfc1983 said:

No smoke without fire I reckon on this one. My only concerns are-

1. That the longer we hang about waiting for Bruce to finish his jollies the longer we are stuck with Jos.

2. We set on Bruce then a more appealing job comes up leaving us stuck with Jos.

3. By some miracle we pick up some points over Xmas and DC decides to stick with Jos.

4. Basically anything that means we end up stuck with Jos. :luhukay:

Lets be honest, there are more appealing jobs on the notice board in Asda so I wouldn’t worry too much about point 2. lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

We won't and can't get Bruce.

Secondly, Bruce would not come here in a million years! No money to spend and already in FFP problems, he tends to get clubs into FFP problems, we are already there.

He would need money to spend of which we have none to spend. There's a few reasons why he won't be coming.

Bruce the journeyman is now well minted and doesn't need the hassle of a fan base baying for blood and wanting instant fixes (of which there are none)

Your question of who is better than Steve Bruce is not really relevant. It's about who could do a job with the resources we have on offer, i.e. limited funds and a huge wage bill. Who could work with Mr C, that's a key factor. I'm not slating Bruce, he has been a good manager in the past, but he is not what we need or could get now.

I suppose, though I have misgivings about saying it, the number one choice that fits our needs and budgets would be Colin. After that Megson (if he and DC could possibly work together) so that's unlikely. After that I'm struggling, Cowley Brothers?

It maybe someone out of the blue, but it won't be Bruce.

They are my thoughts about why it shouldn’t, and probably won’t be Bruce. It’s why I drew a parallel with the Rhodes saga, we have to choose a person who fits the chairman’s vision for the club, and the situation as it currently stands. The problem is, at the moment, those two things might not be compatible 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They are my thoughts about why it shouldn’t, and probably won’t be Bruce. It’s why I drew a parallel with the Rhodes saga, we have to choose a person who fits the chairman’s vision for the club, and the situation as it currently stands. The problem is, at the moment, those two things might not be compatible 

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

We won't and can't get Bruce.

Secondly, Bruce would not come here in a million years! No money to spend and already in FFP problems, he tends to get clubs into FFP problems, we are already there.

He would need money to spend of which we have none to spend. There's a few reasons why he won't be coming.

Bruce the journeyman is now well minted and doesn't need the hassle of a fan base baying for blood and wanting instant fixes (of which there are none)

Your question of who is better than Steve Bruce is not really relevant. It's about who could do a job with the resources we have on offer, i.e. limited funds and a huge wage bill. Who could work with Mr C, that's a key factor. I'm not slating Bruce, he has been a good manager in the past, but he is not what we need or could get now.

I suppose, though I have misgivings about saying it, the number one choice that fits our needs and budgets would be Colin. After that Megson (if he and DC could possibly work together) so that's unlikely. After that I'm struggling, Cowley Brothers?

It maybe someone out of the blue, but it won't be Bruce.

Bit in bold.

Steve Bruce would and will come to SWFC if the club can meet his demands and expectations. Believe me

• Like 1

We are rapidly heading to a time when this becomes a salvage job Then DC will have to decide whether this becomes a long term project, or he looks for someone who can impact the side short term, but who may not be the right man to take us beyond the end of the season. 

Bruce looked like a broken man in his last few weeks at Villa and as things stand, it’s hard to imagine how him coming to us would be much help to either party. He’d probably have been perfect for the job when Carlos was appointed and there was serious money to spend and build with but I don’t think that’s the case now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Growl67 said:

Bruce looked like a broken man in his last few weeks at Villa and as things stand, it’s hard to imagine how him coming to us would be much help to either party. He’d probably have been perfect for the job when Carlos was appointed and there was serious money to spend and build with but I don’t think that’s the case now.

Exactly, I couldn’t be more anti Bruce at the moment, but yes, with the budget we had in those first two years, then he could have been a candidate

I don’t see this as being beyond the realms of possibility but let’s be honest Bruce isn’t coming here without some massive reassurances. Even then it may not be enough, thinking back to the JL interview where he appeared to reveal he didn’t know he’d be signing zero players. Trust, trust, trust!!

DC can still turn this forum in to a positive if he makes a couple of critical concessions. Advising that all ties with a certain “recruitment advisor” are severed would be a massive start. Beyond that it’s clear there isn’t enough top level football expertise in our club. I’d always favour the best candidate for the job over an insular appointment of a Wednesday old boy. But given the predatory nature of football and the money grabbing sharks out there maybe we need at least one of our own.

I hate saying this but our choices of manager are going to be extremely limited without change. There are no secrets in football and failings are well documented.

Edited by Morepork

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are rapidly heading to a time when this becomes a salvage job Then DC will have to decide whether this becomes a long term project, or he looks for someone who can impact the side short term, but who may not be the right man to take us beyond the end of the season. 

It's a salvage job now IMO.

Our primary aim now is to stay up.

If we have to sell players, then sell them to Leeds' promotion rivals.

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I'm in Burgh Le Marsh Atm Dale.

where is it I'll go take photos 

Well in a few Hours or 10

I'm "With Drink" at present 

..............lol

My old man lives in Burgh had some good sessions in the Belle, I'm going down Saturday for the week. Plenty of boozers to go at.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

It's a salvage job now IMO.

Our primary aim now is to stay up.

If we have to sell players, then sell them to Leeds' promotion rivals.

Do you mean, salvage time, as in, we need to bring someone in with the sole focus on keeping us up? Or maybe, someone who will start building a side for the future, which will probably mean selling the family silver, and maybe relegation as a consequence?

13 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

Good point.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Do you mean, salvage time, as in, we need to bring someone in with the sole focus on keeping us up? Or maybe, someone who will start building a side for the future, which will probably mean selling the family silver, and maybe relegation as a consequence?

The main thing is staying up; that has to be our no1 priority.

Relegation isn't an option.

We've got to make sure that we're still in this division in a short 5 months' time.

I'd say we should worry about the future then.