Full-Backs and The Balance of the Midfield.

Jim

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d like to debate this. While I think your observations are spot on, I don’t agree with the remedy. 

Firstly, the full backs are an issue, but they aren’t the only one. In fact, they’re not even the main one. While I agree, it is an area where we could upgrade, we have a decent pairing in Palmer and Penney. Unfortunately, they are not the ones selected by this hapless coach, who prefers to go with Baker and Fox.  Ditch the three at the back, what’s the point when we don’t have wing backs. The key for me, would be to play with a proper holding midfielder sat in front of a back four. An obvious candidate for that role is Hutchinson. If not him, then Hector, both have done the job in successful championship sides. Immediately, that gives the full backs licence to get forward more. In Palmer’s case, that won’t be much beyond the final third, as I don’t think he is confident in being able to recover his position That may improve in a new system. Penney on the other hand, has no such limitations, and has the speed and the ability to get up and down the pitch. Underrated by many at the club, I think he has the ability to be an outstanding left back. As for the midfield, with a proper anchor in there, we can release Bannan further up the field. Because we are then coming from a solid base, we can use various permutations alongside Bannan, whether that be Onomah or Pelupessy to the right, or Reach to the left. It’s not rocket science, as they say, it just needs someone with the tactical nous to work it out, which sadly rules out Megson I’m afraid

Palmer is not good enough. The fact he can’t get in ahead of Baker should tell you this. Penney’s got talent but it would take someone with enormous faith in him to play him regularly at the moment. That obviously isn’t Jos and I’m not convinced the next manager would this season anyway.

While Hector is here playing him just in front of the back four would be where I would play him. I’d be more inclined to play Hutchinson at centre-half alongside Pudil. Both decent defenders and also both comfortable in possession. I would play Reach wide left and Matias wide right but I suspect there’s a strong chance Reach will be sold next month. Personally I think several of the current under 18 players will get fast tracked. Not ideal but at the same time a few of them seem to possess qualities that our current first team lacks?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

You’re wrong Guru. Fullbacks are the main issue to sort out. Despite what you say Palmer is garbage and has had his chance as has Penney. Penney could become very good at wingback, I’d say if he played for Utd in their system they’d be looking at their next big profi from a youth product. In our shanmbles of a back line he’s looking every bit the young pro starting out in the game - hit and miss, not helped by him changing roles in the side. Let’s not forget that this ‘hapless’ coach does select Penney and gave him a new contract.

We have not got a reliable decent fullback pairing (Penney looks like a genuine wingback to me) however you juggle it and whatever system you play. It could be way better than it is now though by just sticking to the same formation and players.

28 minutes ago, Bigaltheowl said:

I agree with this just one question was Matt Penney injured yesterday or just another crazy example of his team selection like dropping hector.surely you build a solid back four as a starting point

No idea mate on Penney.

There are some good points made in this thread. However CC unique style of play once sussed by opposition resulted in a block defence until that was eventually rumbled. think Jos has tried numerous formations all without any semblance of success. I think we just do not have sufficient energy in the side to play with high pressing game lots of teams employ. We also do not have sufficient defensive quality in the side. Lee was only decent defender we had for a long period but this season he has been short of his best. Thorniley has shown on occasions but both are not mobile. hector is also non mobile and not as good in air as you would expect from tall player you can see why he was left on shelf at end of transfer window. The midfield just lacks mobility and opens up when any body runs at it. New players are required to make this a team.

ive said for some time our biggest problem is midfield and full backs ,I doubt any central defenders/keepers would be keeping many clean sheets when they have garbage like fox,baker,palmer at full back and a weak midfield of cat reach and bannan easily the most lightweight midfield in the league . these problems also started before jos we needed a leader in midfield ,and quality full backs when carlos the clown was here but instead he wasted the loot on jones,abdi ,Rhodes etc etc we could easily have a squad competing in the top half of the league for half of the 29 million wages what is been wasted . take away complete wasters in hooper,abdi jones,boyd,matias,fox,fletcher Rhodes as well as others like lee,hutchinson,westwood that's 280k a week in wages or around half our entire wage bill of 29 million ,yes I know Norwich are paying Rhodes wages this season .