1970’s was worse! Absolute B***ocks!

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

It's because the majority of fans think we're entitled to winning by playing nice football.

We're going to have to fight our way out of this mess, and the last four years has been a diversion which has brought back the old dillusions. We're no longer a big club, because it's all about money today, not the number of fans you have.

That's really sad, but it's the truth.

Agree with you.

We can look at Bournemouth today with a wealthy backer and decent manager and doubtless a high degree of shrewdness they've done really well in recent years

34 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Every time somebody moans about how totally utterly poo it is we get some bl00dy ‘i’ve seen it worse than you’ bullsh1tters telling us it was far worse in the 70’s.

was it boll0**ks!

Yes the 70’s was a poo decade. But that is all it was, a decade. From 1979 the upward trajectory was back not to be lost.  All through the 1970’s we always knew that the bigger clubs would rise back to the top and we’d be back eventually.

we are going to go two decades without top flight football!

The longest in the clubs history!

We’ve been down to the third tier twice since we left the PL and we look like we could make it three!

Even if we get back to the PL, the best we can hope for is to scrape by for a few seasons before getting relegated again.

we have the highest ticket prices in the division, an idiot running the club and a muppet in charge of the team.

Im a season ticket holder that doesn’t go and I don’t even get depressed when we lose any more.

Make no mistake about it, this is the worst it’s been in our 150 year history and any thoughts to the contrary is absolute balls from those in denial!

Agreed, we had no money and awful players so you never expected anything in the 70s. Today we have plenty of talent but have wasted plenty of money as well.

1 minute ago, stevewhiterose said:

Agreed, we had no money and awful players so you never expected anything in the 70s. Today we have plenty of talent but have wasted plenty of money as well.

I agree we expected little back then , it’s the hope and expectations that D.C. has promised and made a total mess of that’s hurting , I sense anger more now than at any other time . 

Been watching Wednesday for over 50 years and if there is one thing I have come to realise what ever the football Gods throw at us we have, and always will bounce back, it may not be as quick as some would like but we will succeed,  its like a boxer, sometimes you have get back up of the canvas after being knocked down and dust off the gloves and come back out swinging, watching Wednesday hurts as much trust me 

Yes, but we have an owner now.

We've modernized.

That was supposed to change everything.

Back in the 70s other big city clubs had rich owners pumping money in, we didn't.

What is it about this city and football?

The Blades get a sheikh without a well, and we get a chairman - though wealthy - with the intellect of a turnip and the organizational skills of a plant pot.

Why us?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

OP doesn't appreciate that we didn't know how long the seventies problems would last, at the time.  We were getting sub 10,000 crowds and nearly bankrupt. Getting beaten by Darlington, Lincoln, York, Cambridge, Oxford.  Not just by the odd goal either.

Shef Utd were in the top division 1971-2 to 75-6 to make matters worse.  And L**ds were European Cup Finalists 1976. 

Hooliganism was rife- you wouldn't take your gran to a game as a birthday treat.

We didn't have the option to stay at home and watch on Sky, SkyNow, Ifollow, dodgy streams.  You either went or you didn't see the game.

We'd get soaked stood on open terraces, peering from wire cages with police alsations snarling at our legs.

Not so many had cars and there were no trams to Leppings Lane.  It was bus stops, walk or get a train for many fans.

Yes it's bad now..... but nothing like the 70's.

How bloody right you are ...but absolutely loved it

10 minutes ago, Green Howard Owl said:

Been watching Wednesday for over 50 years and if there is one thing I have come to realise what ever the football Gods throw at us we have, and always will bounce back, it may not be as quick as some would like but we will succeed,  its like a boxer, sometimes you have get back up of the canvas after being knocked down and dust off the gloves and come back out swinging, watching Wednesday hurts as much trust me 

I've watched the Owls for 40 years and in that time I've seen other big-city clubs win titles, cups European and domestic, whilst we've, er, won the League Cup in 1991.

I accepted it, because we all knew that our financial system meant that a ceiling was imposed on what we could achieve.

But when Mandy bought us and we modernized I really thought that we'd finally be able fulfil our potential.

So we get a rich chairman, like everyone else, but he turns out to be a noodle whom you wouldn't entrust with the task of going to the bar and buying a packet of crisps.

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I've watched the Owls for 40 years and in that time I've seen other big-city clubs win titles, cups European and domestic, whilst we've, er, won the League Cup in 1991.

I accepted it, because we all knew that our financial system meant that a ceiling was imposed on what we could achieve.

But when Mandy bought us and we modernized I really thought that we'd finally be able fulfil our potential.

So we get a rich chairman, like everyone else, but he turns out to be a noodle whom you wouldn't entrust with the task of going to the bar and buying a packet of crisps.

Right back account, wrong person 

What on earth possessed DC to buy a football club I’ll never know 

You need to have an interest, and be present, for it to be a success- he’s neither 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Right back account, wrong person 

What on earth possessed DC to buy a football club I’ll never know 

You need to have an interest, and be present, for it to be a success- he’s neither 

Because he thought he was going to make a financial killing in getting us into the PL.

It's analogous with what happened in the City a decade ago before the Crash.

Financial people who thought that they were invincible, investing in things of which they knew nothing.

And nobody being prepared to admit to his ignorance, for fear of being branded a thickie.

A fool and his money ...

Just now, Athelwulf said:

Because he thought he was going to make a financial killing in getting us into the PL.

It's analogous with what happened in the City a decade ago before the Crash.

Financial people who thought that they were invincible, investing in things of which they knew nothing.

And nobody being prepared to admit to his ignorance, for fear of being branded a thickie.

A fool and his money ...

Well yeah I get the financial aspect, it’s just clear he did absolutely no homework on how to effectively run a football club 

Plastering your name across the stadium and sanctioning deals isn’t enough. A chairman needs to be somewhat hands on.

How often is he at the club, does anyone know? More often than not he seems to be in Thailand 

32 minutes ago, Green Howard Owl said:

18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Well he is from Thailand

• Haha 1

Wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

Yes it’s been worse on the pitch. And it’s been worse off it. This team isn’t as bad as the 70’s and Chansiri isn’t as bad as Dave Allen or the limbo years ending up in the high court.

But it’s not just about that. Look around. Listen. People are tuning out. People are exhausted. The Chairman has played fast and loose with people’s patience from the day he arrived but he’s always got out of jail with it. Alienate the box holders, but it’ll be fine because we’re off to Wembley. Change the stripes, but it’s fine because we’ll try and get back to Wembley. Fleece the fans at every turn, but it’s fine because we’re spending money. Change the badge, make up sponsors, slap your name all over the ground.. do whatever you like Mr Chansiri, because you’ve put a few quid in.

The reality is the money got us nowhere, and now it’s either gone or unable to be spent there’s no buffer between Chansiri and some of the DREADFUL business decisions he’s made at this club from Day 1. 

Ive said it before.. but I fear relegation more than I did the last two times. There are elements of the club I don’t think will survive a third stint in League One in 20 years. People will walk away and not come back. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Surely things were worse when we nearly out of business about 10 years ago.

But cant argue we are not in a big slump at the moment.

I don’t agree.

10 years ago the amount of money needed to give us a chance could even have potentially been raised by wealthy fans if MM didn’t come along.

if Chansiri follows through with his track record we really could end up in the conference.

if we go down and he can’t afford to pay the bills we’ll end up in Admin without a pot to p1ss in and -10 points.

Then we can’t exit via CVA and end up in liquidation we’ll be at least -20 points more.

There is no hope whatsoever at the moment. Not a shred of light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

If I cast my mind back to the 70s the negatives are losing, in fact losing a lot to just about everyone.

Getting wet and cold home and away and with only 8000 inside Hillsbrough what a depressing time that was.

Can anyone remember the slag heap at Halifax?

BUT the 70s did have two major plusses, JC arrived and after an awful decade our very last home match of the 70s was beating the mighty blades 4-0 .

UTO

58 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

OP doesn't appreciate that we didn't know how long the seventies problems would last, at the time.  We were getting sub 10,000 crowds and nearly bankrupt. Getting beaten by Darlington, Lincoln, York, Cambridge, Oxford.  Not just by the odd goal either.

Shef Utd were in the top division 1971-2 to 75-6 to make matters worse.  And L**ds were European Cup Finalists 1976. 

Hooliganism was rife- you wouldn't take your gran to a game as a birthday treat.

We didn't have the option to stay at home and watch on Sky, SkyNow, Ifollow, dodgy streams.  You either went or you didn't see the game.

We'd get soaked stood on open terraces, peering from wire cages with police alsations snarling at our legs.

Not so many had cars and there were no trams to Leppings Lane.  It was bus stops, walk or get a train for many fans.

Yes it's bad now..... but nothing like the 70's.

Of course I appreciate it.

But it was a few years.

Everybody could still remember coming 2nd in the league and Wembley in 66.

There was no false dawns.

We were poo and kept getting worse until Big Jack but then it was onwards and Upwards.

We have been poo for 20 years apart from 2 seasons. 

As the saying goes its the The hope that kills you.

In the 70’s, then the two League One’s after that I always KNEW we’d be back.

Im now sat here with absolutely no hope and genuinely feeling like it could get far worse than anybody thought possible.  

and the worst thing is Im not finding it painful.  I am completely numb to the pain.

This really is horrific!

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt