Two full backs needed

We have a very good left wing back in Adam Reach.

We also had a very good right wing back in Jack Hunt.

One was sold and the other runs around midfield aimlessly scoring a worldie every now and then.

But still we persist with playing wing backs. Which is basically 5 at the back because Fox, Baker or Palmer can’t get forward, let alone defend.

It’s laughable.

I get that we are trying to blood the youngsters but at the moment Ash Baker does not look up to the standard required of a championship full back. And his confidence will go because the crowd are frustrated at what utter t w a t s Jos ond DC are being, so they get on the players backs even if they are young learning their trade and even if it is totally counter productive. I did it today  Towards the end of the first half when we had a corner and the ball came back out to Baker and he had a simple pass under no pressure to go back to Hector and he ended up hitting it at Hector waist height.!!

If we are going with a system that  is genuinely attempting to be with  wing backs (as opposed to Jos's flat 5 at the back) then Penney on the left (not Fox who is the devil's footballer. Literally diabolical)  Now who we put on the right i don't know. Our best player on the books currently who can play there is  in my opinion (and based on limited playing time there) is Hutch..

Some on here saying that Jack Hunt was rubbish? He was decent was Hunt - his final delivery didn’t my head in on occasions but he was a good footballer. Now we have Liam Palmer and Ash Baker as options at right back. They are the worst 2 right backs in the championship. Left back is also a nightmare - Thorniley should never be deployed there as he is a centre half. Pudil is more of a centre half nowadays and Fox is a league 1 player. I think we need to get Penney playing at either left back or wing back and persevere with him. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Agree OP we were crying out in the first season under carlos but we kept signing forwards ....it was bizarre at the time and now its hurting us ...our recruitment in the last 3 years have been some of the worst ive ever seen at this club. 

6 minutes ago, modboy said:

Needed new full backs since promotion from L1

Feels like they aren't on the pitch most of the time. 

Great cross from Fox though today 

We signed Pudil and Hunt. It’s replacing those that hasn’t happened.

6 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

Reach can’t tackle and he has Zero bottle never make a fullback,,,

Reach was an embarrassment today - seriously worried about his attitude - looks increasingly like a bottler as you say.

57 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

Reach can’t tackle and he has Zero bottle never make a fullback,,,

I agree he’s not a full back but wing back is slightly different. More emphasis on Getting forward and there should be defensive cover from the left sided centre back (Pudil or Thorniley).

Baker has been shoehorned into the team and isn't ready to step up yet. I love the idea of playing the youth team but they have to be good enough too.

Fox is downright awful as a player, I may be over analysing but I think his balance for a footballer is way off and he just looks awkward with the ball just doing the basics. How we ever signed him is a complete and utter mystery to me.

3 hours ago, York_Owl said:

It’s a real problem area for us. I’d be tempted to play Reach at LWB. but then  who plays right wing back? Boyd?

Agree with this. Look at how Klopp has converted Milner into a full back and Pep has done it with Delph.

To me we’d look a stronger team with any of Hutch, Boyd or even Jones playing at full back