Two full backs needed

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

That’s just one game. He’s improved since last season and been much better this. 

He’s either not fit enough to play right back or is too lazy. Would be interested to see his scores in the beep tests they do.

We’ve conceded plenty of goals where Palmer has lost his man or is just jogging back.

Good luck to the lad but he needs moving on. He’s 27 now and has never looked a genuine first teamer at Wednesday in all the years he’s been with us

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, King_Monkey said:

Clearly evident today, last week, last month that the full back positions are clearly the weak spot.

centre halves always having to look over the shoulder because of gaps left by the full backs. Thus causing gaps in the middle.

Morgan Fox is out of his depth however Ash Baker & Liam Palmer are far worst but don’t get berated.

honestly I’ve never seen a poorer full back than Baker, he’s shocking.

Sort the full backs and it won’t cost a lot, and we start to secure the defence 

Spot on my friend. This is a desperate situation as we are so poor at full back. I do think we could put Pudil there till the end of the season though. Dominic Iorfa on loan in January for right back would be nice. Do it as part of the Reach sale.

Guest wilyfox

Yes, full-back is a big problem since Hunt was sold and Pudil's legs aged. Palmer was understudy, no more. Penney has talent, but lacks consistency having just made his breakthrough. Baker is a trier, but bang average. Fox is gash. Needs sorting in Jan as a priority. 

Edited by wilyfox

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

We've needed two new full backs since 2015

Pudil was excellent in his first season - but was also turning 30 when he joined back then. 

5 minutes ago, Ronio said:

We need new fullbacks, I would agree with that, however I think we need 2 wingers, as we really don't have proper wingers with pace who can cross.  

I think you could argue that we need upgrades across most positions.    

Agreed Ronnio.

After all, Wilder managed to upgrade his whole team into a competitive unit for £5M...using his knowledge and contacts of and in the English game.

All for bring kids through but only one or two a season, not half a dozen in one go.

If we can offload the high earners, our 'unavailable' first team and those coming to the end of their contracts then someone has a chance to start a new, properly managed and sustainable project.

Provided we can stay up in the interim!

2 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Agreed Ronnio.

After all, Wilder managed to upgrade his whole team into a competitive unit for £5M...using his knowledge and contacts of and in the English game.

All for bring kids through but only one or two a season, not half a dozen in one go.

If we can offload the high earners, our 'unavailable' first team and those coming to the end of their contracts then someone has a chance to start a new, properly managed and sustainable project.

Provided we can stay up in the interim!

This is the thing, with this thread looking at full backs, what some actually mean is attacking fullbacks/wingbacks.  When in actuality its wingers we really need, lots of pace and creativity.  

Problem though, can't see any major changes or improvements in the team until we actually know where we stand with the FFP next summer.  

A clear out is needed across all levels.