Joao

33 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Only Lewis Grabban has a better goals to minutes ratio in the entire league. Criminal that he isn't getting more game time but what do you expect from Jos the mastermind.

It’d be higher still if you take off the time he’s messing around playing out wide. Wasted in midfield 

1 minute ago, dave said:

It’d be higher still if you take off the time he’s messing around playing out wide. Wasted in midfield 

Ditto Forestieri when he plays Both players can be match winners, but it seems their primary job under Jos, is to try and negate the opposition wide players

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Ditto Forestieri when he plays Both players can be match winners, but it seems their primary job under Jos, is to try and negate the opposition wide players

It's so frustrating. These 6 players today gave absolutely no idea how to get the ball up the pitch...

Baker (truly awful, constantly)

Fox (Ditto)

Hector (I don't even think he knows where he's supposed to be playing.)

Lees (We all know the score- hates having the ball at his feet)

Pulepessy (dreadful, dreadful 'footballer')

Thorniley (decent defender, might have something, but playing in this side will do for him what we did to Mark Beevers)

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To an extent. I think Forestieri can still be effective from wide because it involves him in the game. I still don’t know where his best position is after 3 years. Because he drifts about it can be detrimental to the front pairing if he plays in a 2. 

Joao needs to be playing up top with someone else

But you’re right about the negating the opposition thing. 

It is very difficult for our strikers to be consistent. 

In the first half we played awful and 90% of balls that Joao got he had his back to goal and was in his own half.

What is he supposed to do in that position?

Once he got an opportunity to run onto a ball he stuck it in the net.

A class above anybody else on the pitch.

His scoring stats are fantastic and he scores any type of goal you like. 

45 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It is very difficult for our strikers to be consistent. 

In the first half we played awful and 90% of balls that Joao got he had his back to goal and was in his own half.

What is he supposed to do in that position?

Once he got an opportunity to run onto a ball he stuck it in the net.

A class above anybody else on the pitch.

His scoring stats are fantastic and he scores any type of goal you like. 

Agree with this, unlike Nuhiu and Fletcher he is not a back to goal striker. He needs to play as the 2nd striker with someone else taking the physical battle.

Over the last 12 months his goals per minutes ratio must be really top notch and a lot of them of real quality.

Jos is wasting him playing him wide and asking him to track back and defend.

Can see him going elsewhere a being a big hit.

4 hours ago, GerOwl said:

His first half, sans goal, was a typical Joao performance. Constantly giving the ball away trying to do too much, back heels etc. Happy that he scored two but his general contribution to the game needs to increase a lot. 

as an edit: Their striker was great, was impressed with how he worked the line and gave our "3" CBs problems all afternoon.

Their striker played between the width of the penalty box and ran away from all 3 of our central defenders who looked like they were running in quick sand.

Our best striker scored 2 goals despite the fact our manager is insistent on playing him wide left and getting him to track back. Lucas Joao is a striker, not a winger/wide forward. 

4 hours ago, GerOwl said:

His first half, sans goal, was a typical Joao performance. Constantly giving the ball away trying to do too much, back heels etc. Happy that he scored two but his general contribution to the game needs to increase a lot. 

as an edit: Their striker was great, was impressed with how he worked the line and gave our "3" CBs problems all afternoon.

If his general contribution was better he wouldn't be with us. He'd be in a better league than the Championship

He plays in the Championship because he has those inconsistencies.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not true.

Forestieri is hopeless up the middle.

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I think jos the rotator got it pretty bang on last year, Nuhiu can't play up top on his own neither can Joao, but they somehow seem to work as a partnership together and get goals. 

Joao goals were nothing to do with Nuhiu.

10 hours ago, NYowl said:

Agree with this, unlike Nuhiu and Fletcher he is not a back to goal striker. He needs to play as the 2nd striker with someone else taking the physical battle.

Over the last 12 months his goals per minutes ratio must be really top notch and a lot of them of real quality.

15 goals in 1900 minutes since he started scoring, February v Birmingham.

A goal every 125 minutes - outstanding.

9 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I think jos the rotator got it pretty bang on last year, Nuhiu can't play up top on his own neither can Joao, but they somehow seem to work as a partnership together and get goals. 

Of his 15 goals, 11 have come playing alongside Nuhiu. 

The only exceptions were his pair against Derby last season and his pair at Bristol City this season.

If we play to his strengths he will score for fun. Always had it in him.

By strengths I mean it’s as simple as him not playing with his back to goal. Running at the opposition and facing the goal from 30 yards or closer I see him as a real threat. Unfortunately we too often play to feet or even behind the player wanting the ball. 

His weaknesses are obvious, but for me when fit he has to start. This last 10 months or so his goals per minute stats are exceptional. Even more impressive with limited/poor service. 

I don’t expect him to run about like a headless chicken, but I’d wish he’d yo his work rate. Can’t bang on about potential at his age, but he has it in him to be one of the best forwards in this league if he can improve his Link up play and find more consistency. There are plenty of late bloomers in football.

Has to play centrally so he can run both channels. Which in turn either splits their centrebacks or makes their fullbacks not bomb on as much.

It's defending from the front because they have fewer players in attack.

With just Fletcher or Nuhiu up front we invite the other team on as we lack pace to get in behind.

The first goal he beat both their centrehalves in a sprint. It told Dross what he needed to know. We carried on having him track back. If he stays up top they have to drop off, the pitch opens up and BB gets more time and space.

Treat him as a 5'8 forward,