HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOY WONDER

Just now, archieswfc said:

My all time favourite player. I hate what's happened recently. Proper tainted for me now.

It's hard sometimes I know. But I try never let the actions of recent times reflect on my love of people for what they did in the shirt.

The David Hirst of that time and place, the swashbuckling striker and goal getter is a different person from a different time. A different world.

Enjoy the memories of that for what they are.

• Like 3

A fantastic player and the best striker in England for a while. Man utd were desperate to sign him and it was between him and Shearer as to who would lead England's front line. From memory, Shearer scored on his England debut and Hirsty didn't. We must also never forget what impact that horrible fecker George Graham and his cynical career diminishing tactics had on David. I hated that Arsenal side and their bent manager.

Injuries had the major impact.  You could see it in the running gait in the latter years. Thundering through the heel.

I wonder if he ever saw a podiatrist?

Never-the-less I remember one former manager commenting that "Davids 'refuelling habits' might not have always been productive to his rehabilitations" :laugh:

Still. It was a different time, a different era.

In many ways the boozy lads culture of that time and the two decades before only went to make him , and many more players of that era at many a club - even more legendary in their status among the fans.

It made them human. Young lads living all our dreams. Roy of the Rovers stuff isn't it really.

I'm yabbering again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Awww cheers. oh wait it's for damn Hirsty, how dare he share my birthday...:biggrin:

Thought the club would have emailed me an automated greeting message with being on the database and all that, it's the little things that matter....

Rangers managed to send me one again......

rfc2018.png

24 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Never saw him play. For me his legacy is tainted. Understand fully why for supporters who saw him in the flesh will look beyond recent events though. 

I was at a reserve game for one of his comebacks 11,000 people turned up to a reserve game to see him play 20 minutes. 

That was how much of a god he was to the fans, him, Waddle, Sheridan in their prime into today market would have been worth 10's of millions.

• Like 1

I ain't letting a disagreement with Chansiri get in the way of my memories of Hirst. 

He spent most of his adult life arind this club and people are ready to believe a chairman who has been here a few years, who's influence has been... Questionable...over him.. 

Big shame.

1 hour ago, steveger said:

Awww cheers. oh wait it's for damn Hirsty, how dare he share my birthday...:biggrin:

Thought the club would have emailed me an automated greeting message with being on the database and all that, it's the little things that matter....

Rangers managed to send me one again......

rfc2018.png

Wednesday would have charged you 40 quid for the privelidge

Happy birthday Steve

That'll be a fiver mate

lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't wish to disrespect Hirsty, because he was a fine player before his injuries, but it shows how far we've fallen when we revere someone who only ever played for his country 3 times, all friendlies inc v N.Zealand and Australia. And 25 years ago.

First Owls team I ever saw fielded EIGHT England internationals (ex, current and future) in Albert Quixall, Ron Springett, Peter Swan, Tony Kay, Redfern Froggatt, John Fantham, Gerry Young and Ron Staniforth.

All a bit sad for us oldies.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Wednesday would have charged you 40 quid for the privelidge

Happy birthday Steve

That'll be a fiver mate

lol

Think they're a little classier than that mate.

"Happy Birthday Steve! To celebrate it properly you must purchase something from the club shop. You really are a true fan. See you soon!"

• Haha 3