Avengers 4

jonnyowl

5 hours ago, Gnarwolf said:

As we get more footage I'm even more confused about what's going to actually happen in this film

What I think (spoiler tagging from pure speculation)  

Well Black Widow still has blonde hair on the ship, so I’m guessing pretty soon after the snap, they take Captain Marvel to get some revenge on Thanos pretty early on in the film. I don’t think Iron Man is on the ship, so he isn’t going with them. 

They’ll get beat again, or maybe even kill Thanos. Then we get a time jump where everyone gets a new look. Then Ant Man turns up from his time travel escapade and tells them all they can use his machine to go back and stop Thanos for real. 

Thats when everyone gets their white suits. 

One interesting thing to note is that Thanos doesn’t use the space stone to teleport down to Iron Man, Cap and Thor at the end of that trailer. He uses the teleport on his ship, which his minions use in the last movie. So either that’s in the past before he gets the space stone (time travel stuff), or it just doesn’t work anymore.

13 hours ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well Black Widow still has blonde hair on the ship, so I’m guessing pretty soon after the snap, they take Captain Marvel to get some revenge on Thanos pretty early on in the film. I don’t think Iron Man is on the ship, so he isn’t going with them. 

They’ll get beat again, or maybe even kill Thanos. Then we get a time jump where everyone gets a new look. Then Ant Man turns up from his time travel escapade and tells them all they can use his machine to go back and stop Thanos for real. 

One interesting thing to note is that Thanos doesn’t use the space stone to teleport down to Iron Man, Cap and Thor at the end of that trailer. He uses the teleport on his ship, which his minions use in the last movie. So either that’s in the past before he gets the space stone (time travel stuff), or it just doesn’t work anymore.

Interesting theory, makes sense with a lot of the shots but I guess we'll see, I still want to know what they're going to use the BARF technology for and I strongly believe one of them is going to die so it'll be interesting to see who, my moneys on Cap.

Got my tickets too, couldn't get IMAX midnight tickets so I'm seeing it at The Light at midnight and then seeing it in IMAX at Cineworld the next day, can't flipping wait.

Went to infinity war/Endgame double bill last night. Anyone else think it was just a decent film and not "amazing" like half of Facebook seemingly do?

On 02/04/2019 at 21:12, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty decent guess. 

8 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

I didn’t really like it. Structurally it’s a complete mess. 

Yeah, I totally get that. Although I liked it. I did, a lot to be fair. I’d watch it through again now. 

But all you’re ever going to get with that kind of plot is endless questions and plot holes. 

10 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

I didn’t really like it. Structurally it’s a complete mess. 

It was a glorious enjoyable overblown sentimental mess though.  The plot doesn't stand up to the least amount of scrutiny but it was ten times more fun than similarly disjointed messes of logic like the recent Star Wars films.

Spoilers:

They discovered that time travel is scientifically possible in that universe (without the need for any kind of magical maguffin such as an infinity stone etc.). Not only possible but actually pretty easy, straightforward, and reliable. 

Now that the time travel plot device (contrivance) has been established then they may as well use it in every film from now on to stop the respective villains once they show up. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg as far as lazy writing went in this film. 

26 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Spoilers:

They discovered that time travel is scientifically possible in that universe (without the need for any kind of magical maguffin such as an infinity stone etc.). Not only possible but actually pretty easy, straightforward, and reliable. 

Now that the time travel plot device (contrivance) has been established then they may as well use it in every film from now on to stop the respective villains once they show up. 

Well no, because it is the 'branching timelines' type of time travel.

Going back and changing things explicitly doesn't work as it just creates a branching timeline.  When you go back to YOUR future, nothing will have changed.

You CAN go back and steal things from the past as they did in this film.  You don't even have to put them back if you don't care about flipping over all those versions of people in the alternate timelines.  But that is of much more limited use than being able to go back and change things for yourself.

Don't ask me about the bit right at the end though, which broke all the rules they had already clearly established.

2 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

Spoilers:

2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Well no, because it is the 'branching timelines' type of time travel.

Going back and changing things explicitly doesn't work as it just creates a branching timeline.  When you go back to YOUR future, nothing will have changed.

You CAN go back and steal things from the past as they did in this film.  You don't even have to put them back if you don't care about flipping over all those versions of people in the alternate timelines.  But that is of much more limited use than being able to go back and change things for yourself.

Don't ask me about the bit right at the end though, which broke all the rules they had already clearly established.

MORE SPOILERS

Yeah pretty much this. It’s established early on and reiterated a few times during the movie.

They outright say that even if they went back in time and killed baby Thanos, they’d only create a new timeline and only ever stop the snap happening in that new timeline. 

If they come back to our main timeline, the snap still happened. No changing that. 

So for example there now exists a timeline where Thanos, his army, Nebula, and Gamora literally vanished just before the first Guardians movie. Because they time travelled to the final battle of Endgame and either got stuck there (Gamora) or killed (all the rest). So the Guardians as we know they never come to be, and Thanos never started collecting stones or killed Loki and Vision, and no snap. But that doesn’t affect our main movie timeline at all. It still happened for our bunch of characters. Maybe they’ll set some movies in these new timelines, who knows. 

I’m not denying it was messy. But it was fun as hell. 

My main issue with the whole thing is how selfish the heroes were throughout the whole thing. Half the population of the universe is gone for 5 years and then just reappear wherever they vanished remembering nothing. How traumatising is that not only for them but also for the people who didn’t get snapped? 

5 years is a long time. Billions of people would have come to terms with it and moved on. And then almost 4 billion people on Earth just reappear and somehow have to just carry on? It’s even more terrifying than the snap when you think about it. Would many of the snapped want to come back knowing what they were coming back to? And would the survivors want everyone back after having spent five years rebuilding their lives?

No one ever really stopped to ask those questions. 

4 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

MORE SPOILERS

Yeah pretty much this. It’s established early on and reiterated a few times during the movie.

They outright say that even if they went back in time and killed baby Thanos, they’d only create a new timeline and only ever stop the snap happening in that new timeline. 

If they come back to our main timeline, the snap still happened. No changing that. 

So for example there now exists a timeline where Thanos, his army, Nebula, and Gamora literally vanished just before the first Guardians movie. Because they time travelled to the final battle of Endgame and either got stuck there (Gamora) or killed (all the rest). So the Guardians as we know they never come to be, and Thanos never started collecting stones or killed Loki and Vision, and no snap. But that doesn’t affect our main movie timeline at all. It still happened for our bunch of characters. Maybe they’ll set some movies in these new timelines, who knows. 

I’m not denying it was messy. But it was fun as hell. 

My main issue with the whole thing is how selfish the heroes were throughout the whole thing. Half the population of the universe is gone for 5 years and then just reappear wherever they vanished remembering nothing. How traumatising is that not only for them but also for the people who didn’t get snapped? 

5 years is a long time. Billions of people would have come to terms with it and moved on. And then almost 4 billion people on Earth just reappear and somehow have to just carry on? It’s even more terrifying than the snap when you think about it. Would many of the snapped want to come back knowing what they were coming back to? And would the survivors want everyone back after having spent five years rebuilding their lives?

No one ever really stopped to ask those questions. 

You raise a good point there. If 4 billion people suddenly appeared then there would be a huge issue with mass starvation across the planet, especially in developing nations. 

It would take a long time to rebuild the economy and infrastructure.