Over Complicated

Do people think the current crop of coaches are over complicating what is basically a simple game ?

Many teams seem to play out from the back , as that style is en vogue, but how many teams actually have the players with the ability to do this ?

We only have to look at Baconrola at the Lane yesterday and see what can happen.

IMO we certainly don't have the players to play this way. I can only think of Penney and possibly Hector, in a defensive role, who seem comfortable with the ball at their feet.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I don't think it's over complicated at all ..... We are shiete. 

I think we'd be less shiete if we played 3 at the back, which I'm not a fan out anyway, and then lumped it up to the half-way line rather than fart around at the back. Believe it or not, we're making difficult work of an easy game 

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Blackburn had an interesting tactic yesterday...when they got the ball they ran with it towards the Wednesday goal and then kicked the ball at it. Maybe we could copy that?

Too simple it will never worki

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Blackburn had an interesting tactic yesterday...when they got the ball they ran with it towards the Wednesday goal and then kicked the ball at it. Maybe we could copy that?

Yeah but they were playing Sheffield Wednesday. Other clubs would have used tactics to suppress the threat like closing them down. :ph34r:

Too many teams try to play like Man City or Barcelona. There’s a reason why they play like that, they’re bloody good teams.

Players in the Championship and below are no where near good enough to play like this so why everyone seems to try it and be fashionable is strange. Stick to the basics and do what your players are able to do.

14 minutes ago, rob1601 said:

Too many teams try to play like Man City or Barcelona. There’s a reason why they play like that, they’re bloody good teams.

Players in the Championship and below are no where near good enough to play like this so why everyone seems to try it and be fashionable is strange. Stick to the basics and do what your players are able to do.

I agree. I watch a lot of lower league football and it's even filtering through to many of those teams. Mainly those with ex pro players involved in managing or coaching.

Frankly, we havent got the fanbase (me included) for playing it out from the back.

We are an impatient bunch - we have a right moan at anyone who passes it backwards or sideways if there was an opportunity to fling it forwards.

Our current players are (largely) incapable of it.

High tempo, aggressive, direct, wingers - I bet thats what 90% of our fans want, despite seeing the likes of Man City and co on MOTD playing 'lovely' football.

Playing out from the back is a fad just like the ill-fated Charles Hughes’ long ball. Ironically it’s development was to counteract teams who park the bus against higher quality sides. It has little to do with playing nice football and more to do with drawing opponents further away from their goal in order to create more space to play through them. 

We don’t have players at the back who are comfortable enough on the ball to play this system. Nor do we face many teams who park the bus against us. Therefore it makes no sense to play out from the back. We should play to our strengths by playing higher up the pitch and more direct (not lumping it long) in order to get players like Bannan, Fessi, Matias, Joao and Reach on the ball in the final 3rd

3 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

I think we'd be less shiete if we played 3 at the back, which I'm not a fan out anyway, and then lumped it up to the half-way line rather than fart around at the back. Believe it or not, we're making difficult work of an easy game 

Its easier to defend from your opponents half ,so if our defenders just cleared it up field instead of trying to play it out , i dont think we would concede half as many as we do .

6 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Do people think the current crop of coaches are over complicating what is basically a simple game ?

Many teams seem to play out from the back , as that style is en vogue, but how many teams actually have the players with the ability to do this ?

We only have to look at Baconrola at the Lane yesterday and see what can happen.

IMO we certainly don't have the players to play this way. I can only think of Penney and possibly Hector, in a defensive role, who seem comfortable with the ball at their feet.

In a CLASSIC 4-4-2 your full backs don't have to get forward to get crosses in and also get crucified by fans for being out of position while we are defending. They are there to cover for the wingers and ensure the centre halves don't have to cover the entire back line themselves.

Gary Megson will sort this out given the chance.

garymegson

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Its easier to defend from your opponents half ,so if our defenders just cleared it up field instead of trying to play it out , i dont think we would concede half as many as we do .

Nice location BTW

garymegson

The great thing about clearing the ball early and playing on the break against a team like Blackburn, who were pushed onto our midfield and defenders, is you catch them on the break, playing into the space they leave behind them.

HE will sort it.