MEGSON as DOF?

12 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

Would have to disagree on a fair bit of that. Subjectively, of course.

Colin has a pretty good cv for promoting sides. I suspect it’s down to his management in part and his oily schmoozing powers within club hierarchy. Whereas Gary Megson is, I suspect, a bit more of a direct honest broker and says it like it is hence his bristly character with owners, who are maybe a bit more reticent about appointing him???

Pulis (not a fan personally) isn’t doing too shabbily with Boro atm; even after Villa humped them at the weekend. He got as far as he could with Stoke on a relatively meagre budget against Prem clubs awash with investors, compare him also to Sparky etc and Alan PardonMe. Wilko, last English manager to win the top division title albeit 20 odd years ago. Can’t really say they don’t work. Howard was a steady hand on our board during choppy times.

Jos, has a bum deal at the minute, needs to work on his hand to be fair. God knows what the inner-political wheel is like inside Hillsborough other than the collective OT guesswork based on admittedly the odd kernel of fact.

etc.

... all this talk of managers, each club b is different it’s a bit of a roulette wheel for owners and a cash bonanza for the sacked coach cannon fodder on the managerial merry go round.

imho lol

It's all about different opinions FS.... With a certain amount of guess work ( don't know that Colin scmoozers anyone and that GM is more direct)... Just basing my opinion on what I know ... Colin has a better track record than GM ....IMO

Wilko did great winning the title 20 odd years ago !!!!.... That type of football doesn't win titles in the modern game

agree that JL has had a bit of a bum deal but still think he's massively out of his depth , said from early on that he wasn't the manager for us... Again IMO !!

just my thoughts and not meant to cause offence or harm !

40 minutes ago, Ridgeback owl said:

It's all about different opinions FS.... With a certain amount of guess work ( don't know that Colin scmoozers anyone and that GM is more direct)... Just basing my opinion on what I know ... Colin has a better track record than GM ....IMO

Wilko did great winning the title 20 odd years ago !!!!.... That type of football doesn't win titles in the modern game

agree that JL has had a bit of a bum deal but still think he's massively out of his depth , said from early on that he wasn't the manager for us... Again IMO !!

Not at all, we’re at least reading the same book, but perhaps not on the same page!

Yes, good points.

11 hours ago, Ridgeback owl said:

Colin has a net worth of circa £17 million, why would he be remotely interested in getting involved with a club that is in terminal free fall at age 70?

4 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Colin has a net worth of circa £17 million, why would he be remotely interested in getting involved with a club that is in terminal free fall at age 70?

Never said he would be interested in coming here, the discussion was about him being a better manager ( result's wise ) than GM …… IMO

21 hours ago, Ridgeback owl said:

I don't think anyone wants to see us in the 3rd division but just because some people can see past or don't agree with the almost hysterical " get Mego back " call it doesn't mean we want to see the club sink. 

I was referring to colin, not megson.

Doesn't a DoF work for the manager ?

I would think its an advisor for the board what is needed - a football man or a couple maybe one with knowledge of the game ala Roeder and one with running a club knowledge ala Aldridge.

I for one think this club went down hill when Aldridge left.

But its a No for me on Megson, you stopped the rot and did a job but it was the right decision sacking you when we did but a return wouldn't be a good move for me.