Why is our defending so bad?

What's happened? Record breaking seasons of clean sheets, followed by this season's disaster.

Is it the GK? Full backs? Centre backs?

I don't think it is. Yes Jack Hunt going didn't help, but even with Jack Hunt I don't think it would be much different. I think we are losing it in midfield. Pelupessy and Bannan are not strong enough to mop up and fill the gaps, and the full back's don't have enough cover with whoever is in front of them, because the system is failing. Under Carlos there was a fairly clear system with wide players covering, and the likes of Hutchinson / Dave Jones providing some experience in the middle with Lee scampering around as well. 

Yes individual errors don't help, but from the very beginning when Jos came in we have been wide open at the back. Last season we were just very lucky. This season we are being found out. It is far too easy for the opposition to break through. Our players are just running round in circles with no idea what to do. Their confidence is shot. 

I refuse to believe it is the players not putting in the effort which is why we SHOULD NOT get on their back. This position is brought about by the manager, and the manager alone.

The only way to fix this mess is with a new manager coming in and going back to basics. Get the team organised, bring back the experienced frozen out players, stick to a formation and take it from there. 

Edited by crookesowl

5 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

What's happened? Record breaking seasons of clean sheets, followed by this season's disaster.

Is it the GK? Full backs? Centre backs?

I don't think it is. Yes Jack Hunt going didn't help, but even with Jack Hunt I don't think it would be much different. I think we are losing it in midfield. Pelupessy and Bannan are not strong enough to mop up and fill the gaps, and the full back's don't have enough cover with whoever is in front of them, because the system is failing. Under Carlos there was a fairly clear system with wide players covering, and the likes of Hutchinson / Dave Jones providing some experience in the middle with Lee scampering around as well. 

Yes individual errors don't help, but from the very beginning when Jos came in we have been wide open at the back. Last season we were just very lucky. This season we are being found out. It is far too easy for the opposition to break through. Our players are just running round in circles with no idea what to do. Their confidence is shot. 

I refuse to believe it is the players not putting in the effort which is why we SHOULD NOT get on their back. This position is brought about by the manager, and the manager alone.

The only way to fix this mess is with a new manager coming in and going back to basics. Get the team organised, bring back the experienced frozen out players, stick to a formation and take it from there. 

In a word COACHING

3 things in my opinion;

* Changing system/formation every week, therefore no settled way of playing.

* No captain/leader in the team to organise.

* Central midfield is physically weak and we have no proper defensive midfielder in there to protect the back line. The amount of times Blackburn waltzed around Joey yesterday was embarrassing. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Because of Jos

No other reason.

We have gone from one sort of defensive record to another under this clueless fella

Worse than Irvine when you compare resources available to him

25 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Agreed. He does work hard though, I have nothing against the lad but we need better. 

I haven’t anything against the guy. His attitude his good and he is tidy on the ball but it’s all very limited for this level. Championship has come on over the last few seasons and in my opinion he is a league 1 player. 

We are so lacking a strong, physical defensive midfielder. We do have one but our inept manager won’t play him. I ‘get’ that is injury record isn’t great but more than half the squad are the same. 

A lot of criticism been thrown at our defence lately.

But I think the biggest issue is what’s in front of them. Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach, Matias has to be the softest midfield I’ve ever seen. I lose count the number of times the opposition run straight through our midfield and at our defence. I can probably count on one hand the number of tackles all four of those players won yesterday. 

Both Hutchinson and Jones would be brought in for the Rotherham game if it was up to me, and I’m really not a jones fan. 

Several reasons.

Firstly we lost our best defenders. Loovens (prime), Hunt, Venencio etc.

The midfield in from of the defence is useless.

We let the opposition have the ball and invite pressure.

We don’t press as a team. The odd headless sprinting closing down doesn’t matter if you’re the only one occasionally doing it.

Full backs don’t follow runners or go to the ball. No decision is made and they just stand between allowing teams to easily pass round and through us.

We are static. Don’t follow up for rebounds. Opposition are always first to act. It’s an after thought for us. The team also doesn’t track runners from deep. Neither the midfield follows or passes on a runner to a defender, so one pass and they are in behind.

As much as Dawson looks like a fantastic shot stopper I don’t see organisation from the back. Our shape is bad and I don’t see him barking instructions. Yes that is a keepers job because he has the best view on the pitch and sees where space will/is opening up. He only seems to get vocal after the mistakes b*llocking players. 

We rarely win a second ball. Just constantly comes back.

Everyone looks switched off. It’s all reactory rather than anticipating.

Lastly, we are sh*t.

Edited by jonesy87shef