Round and round we go

All this Jos out stuff bla bla bla.

i agree with the sentiment that the team are underperforming (only marginally though)

However, Looking at all the rumours around the club, previous hirings and firings and how hands on DC and Doyen have been with the running of the club; I am firmly in the - 'changing the manager is akin to rearranging the chairs on the titanic' brigade

Jos is for my money looking at it something of a fall guy; toes the line from those above; hands tied somewhat with team selection (not helped by injuries) and having to reduce the wage bill.

i agree he could have us more organised and playing with more fluidity but he's the monkey not the organ grinder 

Who ever comes in as a replacement, sections of OwlsTalk will be calling for their head from day one, just to be the guy that says "told you so" at the end. 

Looking at the many topics of replacement managers on here, every single name mentioned is followed by posts of him being the best manager ever, and the worst manager ever.

We gambled and spent to the limit, we missed out, just - Now we have to suck up for a few seasons until we can spend again. Regardless of who the manager is, we as a fan base need to realign our expectation levels. We are not going to be challenging for the playoffs. We are going to need to sell one or two players. We won't be bringing in a manager who spent £200m at his last club. Our team will be half populated by young lads from the youth system. We will likely lose as many as we win. 

For the record, I'd like to see Jos replaced as the tactics don't gel with the players we have on the books, but I'd like the replacement to be with a long term goal, and the fans to be told this very clearly, so we can get back to being at one with the manager and the team.

• Thanks 2

It’s pretty much true of all clubs though Underperforming manager loses his job, and the cycle starts again To be fair, DC has tried to mitigate against that, by letting the coach concentrate on coaching the team. The recruitment team bring the players in, and it’s up to the current coach to organise them into a competitive unit

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s pretty much true of all clubs though Underperforming manager loses his job, and the cycle starts again To be fair, DC has tried to mitigate against that, by letting the coach concentrate on coaching the team. The recruitment team bring the players in, and it’s up to the current coach to organise them into a competitive unit

The crux of the issue in how we operate this method is that we don't have a DoF but rather aligned ourselves to Doyen so are being pushed to sign their players and leaving ourselves in a less stable financial position consequently.

The continental method if done correctly I actually think is the best; but we are doing a botched copy version of it looking from the outside 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Are they playing solitaire and minesweeper all day?

lol

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 2

I agree with the sentiments of the OP and always have; changing manager is never really the solution, because the manager is hardly ever even 50% of the problem. The players are the ones out there, and getting a tune out of the squad somehow is the ONLY way to fix a slump. However...

Given you can’t just sack playing staff, in a crisis it has to be the next best thing. Sometimes a change of backroom staff seems to work, sometimes it doesn’t - by its very nature, it’s necessarily a bit of a Hail Mary. But the thing is, we’re rapidly approaching a scenario where results couldn’t really get an awful lot worse. And at that point, there’s literally nothing to lose by rolling whatever dice you can.

Sad times either way, it sucks at the moment and it has done for a while. I don’t really know what’s up, but it’s fast approaching crunch time.

Edited by Mr. Tom

There’s always a tipping point. 

I suppose it might not be today but it could be defeat to Toytown-Minipigs. 

Jos has had nearly a year to cheer the place up. Ageist, undemonstrative, enigmatic, unreasonable, maybe all or none, but we are shybo at the minute and I’m pretty sure that squad of players could be organised to be more successful. 

I read on another thread if Jos goes who will replace him? I saw names Pardew and Bruce. Well I wouldn't wish Pardew on Wo1ve5 and Bruce maybe out of the budget, but, since I don't know what that is I can't comment. Last night a name hit me. Michael Appleton. He is great at stablizing clubs was pompey during their sell off. He took Oxford utd from league 2 relegation zone to mid-league 1 after Chris Wilder tanked them. Both Championship and Premier experience as well.

10 hours ago, fudge27 said:

i agree with the sentiment that the team are underperforming (only marginally though)

However, Looking at all the rumours around the club, previous hirings and firings and how hands on DC and Doyen have been with the running of the club; I am firmly in the - 'changing the manager is akin to rearranging the chairs on the titanic' brigade

Jos is for my money looking at it something of a fall guy; toes the line from those above; hands tied somewhat with team selection (not helped by injuries) and having to reduce the wage bill.

i agree he could have us more organised and playing with more fluidity but he's the monkey not the organ grinder 

He’s utter dross!!! Jos is dross.....end of

10 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Did you not see the defensive set up yesterday? 

We’re underperforming marginally? We’re much better than results suggest. With the quality we have at our disposal we should be competing for a mid table finish. We should not be in a relegation battle. 

Also, to highlight Dross’ lack of game plan and defensive strategy, I’ve taken this from the Blackburn forum: 

“Indeed. You would have to wonder what the Wednesday manager was at. It's like they had never seen us play before”.

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Personally I'd love to see us go for an up and coming , hungry management team making their way up in the game. My choice would be the Cowley brothers at Lincoln City.

I’m torn, that type of management team is appealing, perhaps more so if we go down, but there’s always the nagging doubt that we are too big a club Not meant in a conceited way, but more about the sort of pressures that come while managing a club of this size. It’s also why smaller clubs like Brentford and Peterborough can regularly bring through non league players, while they often get lost in the system at larger clubs 

Currently, I believe at least, we have the sort of squad that, with the right manager, can thrive in this league. At the moment, the huge rebuild that some are suggesting, is not necessary That may change come January If we have to sell our better players, the ones that could bring us success at this level, under a better coach. If that happens, we will more than likely get relegated, and the major rebuild, will be a reality. More than that, it will probably have to be a rebuild on a budget. Under those circumstances, in a lower league, then maybe an up and coming manager would be a way to go

11 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Whilst I agree the problem if much deeper than Jos imo the players just aren’t playing for Jos. We can’t sign players to change things up so the only thing I feel we can do to give us a new lease or life is to change the manager. It needs to happen ASAP. 

Or the players are simply fed up with the whole club, not just Jos. No bumper contracts for many of them any time soon at Hillsborough and not able to compete at the high end.