Serious Candidates?

Just now, ChinaOwl said:

Aye, why not throw a young, inexperienced manager into this cauldron and faced with these constraints to see how he gets along. :blink:

Ahh bit like what happened across the city, most would have Wilder now in a heartbeat. inexperienced??? Young ish when he was brought in

47 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

He signed them after he won promotion. The side he won promotion with in the 12-13 season contained none of those players. 

Your right. 

I didn’t realise he’d got them promoted twice. 

1 minute ago, Suffolk.Owl said:

Ahh bit like what happened across the city, most would have Wilder now in a heartbeat. inexperienced??? Young ish when he was brought in

This absolutely would not be an ideal job for the first crack at a largish club for someone making their way in management. 

Just now, ChinaOwl said:

This absolutely would not be an ideal job for the first crack at a largish club for someone making their way in management. 

Totally accept what your'e saying and indeed a risk, but tell me who wouldn't be a risk. But he's doing well on very limited resources albeit I accept in lower divisions.Paul Cook is an example of another manager from lower division who's done well. many names mentioned have many many failures behind them, he hasn't so far.

1 hour ago, GEE said:

Paul Sturrock

Knocking on a bit now, but maybe as a director of football with a hurst or Heckingbottom as head coach to learn off him and deal with the more physical stuff in training would work, maybe even promote Stevie Haslam, been doing a cracking job with the kids and with an experienced director of football, so not getting thrown in the deep end. 

1 minute ago, Suffolk.Owl said:

Totally accept what your'e saying and indeed a risk, but tell me who wouldn't be a risk. But he's doing well on very limited resources albeit I accept in lower divisions.Paul Cook is an example of another manager from lower division who's done well. many names mentioned have many many failures behind them, he hasn't so far.

Think toxic and volatile with split squad and obstinate Chairman.

A job for a calm, experienced campaigner with skin as thick as a rhino.

Paul Cook? Danny Cowley?

Come on. This is supposed to be about serious candidates.

Both the above are up and coming managers. Why would they touch us when they would be on a hiding to nothing at S6? I doubt either of them are stupid - they would know that coming here would only damage their careers.

If we're going to be serious, Paul Hurst is probably the best realistic option for me. I don't read too much into his brief time at Ipswich, he's been damned good everywhere else he's managed. But it would take time for him to reshape the squad and get them playing the right sort of football, and probably a drop into League 1 before he gets the job done. Would we accept that?

I don't think this has formatted very well, but Holloway's record is very good except for a short spell at Millwall which was fantastic compared to Jos.

Managerial record by team and tenure

Team From To Record Ref P W D L Win % Bristol Rovers 13 May 1996 29 January 2001 247 90 70 87 36.4 [45] Queens Park Rangers 26 February 2001 6 February 2006 252 100 71 81 39.7 [45] Plymouth Argyle 28 June 2006 21 November 2007 71 28 23 20 39.4 [45] Leicester City 22 November 2007 23 May 2008 32 9 8 15 28.1 [45] Blackpool 21 May 2009 3 November 2012 161 62 43 56 38.5 [45][46] Crystal Palace 4 November 2012 23 October 2013 46 14 14 18 30.4 [32] Millwall 7 January 2014 10 March 2015 62 14 19 29 22.6 [45] Queens Park Rangers 11 November 2016 10 May 2018 80 26 14 40 32.5 [37][45

Our current squad doesn’t have the attributes needed for some of these names to be successful In general, they are a technically gifted squad, better suited to going forward, than grinding out results. We need a coach who can release the shackles, and gets the players playing to their strengths

1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Bruce has always had an admiration for our club. 

Di Canio would take it.

Carbone would take it.

Hurst, Heckingbottom.

Simon Grayson would probably keep us up.

Anyone but this guy. He's been in a year now and taken us backwards.

I'll take anyone on that list apart from Bruce, he's tainted, he picked his Sheffield colours years ago, once a pig, aleasys a pig. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I fail to see how abject failures at this level like Heckingbottom and Hurst get a mention. If one didn't used to play for Wednesday and the other a fan, they would never get mentioned. This is now a very big job, and needs some experience.  

I agree - however, we should have gone for Dean Smith way before Villa came in for him.