CAMMY

If Dawson is worth £2.5m then we are under valuing Reach at £15m lets hope for £30m the transfer market has gone mad.

I hope the valuation is based on potential as he is a £500k keeper at best and would not be first choice at a championship level team currently.

7 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I'll be honest, I don't feel nervous with him goal.

I do feel nervous pal.

Not because of him, and definitely not because of his ability.

Purely because, the first time he drops a "Big" clanger, and he will because every goalkeeper does, no matter how good and experienced they are.

Then all the idiots will be back, singing for another keeper to take his place.

When it happens, i hope he is strong enough to come through it.

I think, he will be strong enough to come through it.

12 minutes ago, MAL said:

I do feel nervous pal.

Purely because, the first time he drops a "Big" clanger, and he will because every goalkeeper does, no matter how good and experienced they are.

I'd rather have Westwood in the team but like I say Dawson doesn't worry me atall.

I've been far more nervous with plenty of keepers over the years.

The kid is competent and can make good saves. He'll only improve.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MAL said:

I do feel nervous pal.

Dawson in a few years with the right progression will be a good keeper but he should be out on loan learning his trade in league one or two not learning his trade for us in the championship.

We have an international keeper who for the 4 years previous to this season was the best keeper in the league, who back to back for 2 season made our defense record breaking and contributed to probably getting 15-20 points a season from his performances add to that he has a record of one clean sheet in every 3 or 4 games. When you have a player like this in your goal it gives the defense confidence in front of him, that if they make a mistake he normally bails them out. If you are keeping clean sheets you only need to score 1 goal to win games this gives your attackers confidence.

Currently we have the worst defense in the league, Dawson is a great shot stopper but is command of his box is poor, he does not close attackers down to narrow angles, his distribution is not great either and he does not have the football skills to pass the ball around at the back but he is 23 and needs game time to develop.

What has happened to him so far this season could have a massive detrimental affect on him and for all we know he could ask for a transfer to leave.

We also forget the other guy who the manager has thrown on the scrap heap, you know they guy that did so well last season for 20 odd games, signed a 5 year deal and now warms the bench while the worse defense in the league plays and he cannot get a game. Bet Wildsmiths confidence is through the roof at the moment with the way he has been treated. 

Let's be honest, we were never going up this year. Therefore I'm more than happy he is being blooded in during a rough championship season. Think this season alone will be worth 3 seasons in league 1 or 2.
I bet he's nervous when the game plan is soak up pressure and defend.
Have to say Jos has got this one right, no matter what the reasons behind it, could be a strong loyal asset.

• Like 1

Usual suspects spouting nonsense on this subject as usual.

The kid has the number 1 spot on merit and is progressing nicely, what has impressed me most is his mental strength.

He will go on to be an excellent goalkeeper

I like Dawson. I think he's gonna be a really good keeper, at least one of the best in the Championship. He's not far off that already.

He's not as good as the Westwood of some years ago but wouldn't be surprised if he's better than the Westwood of today.

I liked Wildsmith too but although he made more spectacular saves he also dropped clangers on a more regular basis.

With rookie goalkeepers you should expect the odd clanger but Dawson has been pretty reliable (apart from that hash of a clearance a few weeks ago).

Think Dawson gets a somewhat hard rap... he's definitely a Championship standard keeper, it just so happens he's not one of the better keepers in the division... probably a little below average? Even with just my few years' experience of watching Wednesday I've seen two of the better GK's in this division in Kirkland and Westwood. He has some big shoes to fill, but in the grand scheme of the Championship he's doing fine. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

If Dawson is worth £2.5m then we are under valuing Reach at £15m lets hope for £30m the transfer market has gone mad.

I hope the valuation is based on potential as he is a £500k keeper at best and would not be first choice at a championship level team currently.

But he is currently first choice at a Championship level team, or am I missing something?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

But he is currently first choice at a Championship level team, or am I missing something?

He is but only because the team he is t has a muppet in charge.

I am not doubting he could be a good player but he currently is not the best player of his position at his own club. But the Westwood travesty has been done to death now.

• Like 1