Lees goal “celebration”

12 hours ago, lincolnowl said:

I thought Lees’ reaction to the goal he scored, in front of a half full Kop, was very telling. 

Very muted, almost reluctant to engage with the fans. And that, in a single moment, sums it all up doesn’t it? 

No passion, no enjoyment,  no hope. 

As for the big lump cupping his ear, he can sod off back to Kosovo. 

It's sad isn't it? What ever happened to the Kop? It took a hit when it was seated, but it wasn't that bad in the following years. Another, Kop killer was cited as being the club band.

Other clubs seem to be able to maintain an enthusiastic Kop, but you do get the feeling that the more vociferous fans are sprinkled around the North and the South stand away end areas.

It does worry me that we have two generations who have been brought up on dismal football, with promotion from the third tier of English football being the only thing too celebrate in twenty years. And that was so good we had to go back and do it again, but at United's expense.

I think the "Carlos had a" ...... Knightmare days have gutted the support. It's literally as if we have "no more heros anymore" , and I'm not suggesting that should be the club's anthem.

I stand up and shout to tell the players to "close him down", or "man on" or "get rid" and I feel like people think I've escaped from a lunatic asylum, (But that's not the point) back in the day that was normal. Clapping all so seems to be something considered to be a mental health issue at Hillsborough. And if you smile or laugh, then the stewards are looking see if you should be removed from the ground and taken back to the Asylum (Never again)

I pay on the day when I can so I've been all around the ground because I can, but the one thing that's been common this season is the level of negativity where people will slate Dawson, Fox, Jos and Nuhiu during the game. This appears to be common around the ground. And when they make mistakes there is glee that the Neggers have been vindicated. There are kids listening to all this bile, and maybe that's part of the problem. When Hector had his car crash on Saturday I could hear a kid slating Dawson then Jos and then calling for Westwood to be brought on. That's what he thinks being a supporter is. WAWAW and we can neg who we like. 

I'm sure it's not just a Sheffield Wednesday problem. I've long been aware that Sky have to pipe crowd noise into their "Big Matches" and you maybe aware of the embarasment they brought on our City by piping crowd noise over the minutes silence at BL during the Derby. 

There is also a lack of Characters at the club I feel, but I suspect our players have been coached not to show emotion, and it's that way in most clubs nowadays, so I'm not having a dig at Jos. Ross Wallace was a rare example of the old characters in football.

The only thing I can offer are memories of how it should be at Hillsborough, and maybe if we all try harder we can help our team turn the corner, but I accept then other side of this argument is it has to be a two way street.

Lees did his part last night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lincolnowl said:

I thought Lees’ reaction to the goal he scored, in front of a half full Kop, was very telling. 

Very muted, almost reluctant to engage with the fans. And that, in a single moment, sums it all up doesn’t it? 

Last night’s goal was like celebrating a consolation goal when you’re 3-0 down and performing abysmally. I’ve celebrated harder going ahead in friendlies than last night. 

As for Nuhiu cupping his ear? Why so offended?! It wasn’t exactly deafening in the ground last night. What other point could you possibly think he could have been making other than to make some noise and get behind the boys?

14 hours ago, lincolnowl said:

If you think that, maybe you should sod off back to Lincoln........

I’m all for our players giving opposition fans sh*t and winding them up. 

I have no idea what Nuhui did as I haven’t seen the replay so won’t comment on this particular incident.

What I am very surprised at though is the number of fans condoning our players giving our own fans stick. 

Just my opionion but it isn’t the same to me as fans expressing their annoyance. I’m not one for booing when I go, but it’s usually I see it as a kick up the arse and dismay at what they are being presented with.

Players having a go back at their own fans is basically saying a big f*ck you. When they start with that kind of behaviour it’s hard to get fans back onside. 

If his gesture was ‘I can’t hear you, help give us some encouragement’, then great. If it’s a ‘where are the boos now we’ve scored’, then it’s idiotic.

fans are such snowflakes

They rain down all kinds of abuse & vitriol and get all uppity when someone looks at them funny

But it's ok because they pay for tickets

I pay for plane tickets, doesn't give me the right to start lambasting the cabin crew for being a little slow with the drinks

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

fans are such snowflakes

They rain down all kinds of abuse & vitriol and get all uppity when someone looks at them funny

But it's ok because they pay for tickets

I pay for plane tickets, doesn't give me the right to start lambasting the cabin crew for being a little slow with the drinks

But if you had a genuine and reasonable frustration, aired it and the cabin crew gave you some stick back I’m sure you wouldn’t be best pleased.

7 minutes ago, markg said:

But if you had a genuine and reasonable frustration, aired it and the cabin crew gave you some stick back I’m sure you wouldn’t be best pleased.

Sorry.

Didn’t realize our fans were all raising their frustration in a genuine and reasonable way.

Plus, if they turned round and said, hey...that doesn’t really help me do my job well then I’d probably say you know what...fair point

Polite snowflakes then.

I was sat towards front of kop where players came over to after goal. 

All Nuhui and one or two other players did was request more noise from us fans.  

Understandable given importance of game. 

Like I said before game, result mattered far more than performance. First half was very poor but credit to Jos and players for second half, still wasn't brilliant but we was worthy winners in end. 

On 28/11/2018 at 08:54, Vaughan said:

He did ...  but not in the way the OP has suggested...

He did it as a way of saying "get behind us.... we cant hear you" ... that sort of thing... then moved his hands to say "be louder"    Not really embarrassing..    but hey..... lets have a go at him .

Just seen the highlights

exactly this .. cupped his ears, jestered with his hands arms, like he's done in the past for the crowd to get going, get cheering and get louder

some fans just look for the little thing in order to complain and spout bile against certain players

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Sorry.

Didn’t realize our fans were all raising their frustration in a genuine and reasonable way.

Plus, if they turned round and said, hey...that doesn’t really help me do my job well then I’d probably say you know what...fair point

Polite snowflakes then.

haha, yes fair point mate.

"Excuse me, Mr Fox, you seem to be having a bit of an off day'

7 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

If his gesture was ‘I can’t hear you, help give us some encouragement’, then great. If it’s a ‘where are the boos now we’ve scored’, then it’s idiotic.

The former. He cupped his ear then waved his arms up and down to try to get the crowd lifted.

Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. 

I do wonder why some people bother supporting a club. 

I'd like to see any one of you standing in front of 20k people trying to do your job facing instant criticism by a baying mob.

I bet most of you spit the dummy if you get a bad appraisel at work?

Will it take a pro footballer topping himself after a game before people realise this abuse has consequences.

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi
  • Like 1

Agree with some of the recent comments.

Lees’ celebration was perfectly fine! In fact his initial instincts seemed to be to celebrate more vociferously but were subdued somewhat by Hector. I don’t think many of us would be able to execute a 15 metre knee-slide with a 6’4”⁽¹⁾ beefcake⁽²⁾ clinging to us like a limpet.

As for Nuhiu... Flippin’ heck. There’s nothing remotely sinister in his gestures. I hope those who haven’t had chance to watch it yet, don’t get swept along with this mischievous nonsense.

(Goal shown at 6m 25s)

⁽¹⁾ Source: Wikipedia

⁽²⁾ Citation needed

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

The former. He cupped his ear then waved his arms up and down to try to get the crowd lifted.

Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. 

I do wonder why some people bother supporting a club. 

I'd like to see any one of you standing in front of 20k people trying to do your job facing instant criticism by a baying mob.

I bet most of you spit the dummy if you get a bad appraisel at work?

Will it take a pro footballer topping himself after a game before people realise this abuse has consequences.

Feels like you’re telling me off when I’ve said I don’t boo and have no opinion on what happened as I didn’t see it. Bit strange lol

As for the bad appraisal thing, it would depend if it was warrented. If I knew I’d been poor and slacking off I’d deserve one. Pretty much like most the team at the moment.

Well whilst I certainly don’t condone abuse, footballers have gone on for centuries without topping themselves due to negative crowds. Not heard of any other sportsmen and won doing it eithe.

You could argue the fact people tend to be more sensitive (or at least vocally) these days, rising suicide rates and easier access through things like social media. With mental health being very highlighted recently I would hope anyone feeling like that would get help. Although I stand by the fact I believe no sportsperson will commit suicide due to some ill feeling fro.mm a crowd at football games.Mathe many other things like pressure and expectation might get to them, but booing.

7 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Feels like you’re telling me off when I’ve said I don’t boo and have no opinion on what happened as I didn’t see it. Bit strange lol

As for the bad appraisal thing, it would depend if it was warrented. If I knew I’d been poor and slacking off I’d deserve one. Pretty much like most the team at the moment.

Well whilst I certainly don’t condone abuse, footballers have gone on for centuries without topping themselves due to negative crowds. Not heard of any other sportsmen and won doing it eithe.

You could argue the fact people tend to be more sensitive (or at least vocally) these days, rising suicide rates and easier access through things like social media. With mental health being very highlighted recently I would hope anyone feeling like that would get help. Although I stand by the fact I believe no sportsperson will commit suicide due to some ill feeling fro.mm a crowd at football games.Mathe many other things like pressure and expectation might get to them, but booing.

No mate, I wasn't singling you out. Far from it. This is a general point.  It's a sickness in society. We want instant gratification. If we don't get it we act like toddlers who've been told no. 

There used to be genuine love for the game. Yes if we were gash we'd grumble but we'd immediately look forward to the next game. Now the money, the expectation of success has replaced that and it brings the worst out in people. It's gone beyond banter.

They may as well play in closed door games. It would be better for their mental health not having to listen to some of the vitriol they have to contend with if a pass goes astray.

Did Fox pick himself? No. I'm sure he knows his own limitations. Do you think it helps that before he's even touched the ball some tool is abusing him?

None of this is how you get the best out of anyone. People slag off Jos for not being able to motivate the players, what good would it do when the "fans" are so negative? Football is a confidence game and  fans aren't showing any confidence in the players at all.

Banter on here is one thing. Tweeting abuse at a player directly is something else.