Thorniley

54 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

Does anyone know the stats when’s he’s played?

Think it would make interesting reading 

I mentioned on another thread earlier today - of the 4 games this season in which we've conceded 3 or more goals, Thorniley didn't start any of them. He came on as sub at QPR and we conceded 1 in the half hour he was on the pitch, and as a late sub v Norwich when we were 4 down.

And he's now started both games when we've kept clean sheets.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s superb and should start every week. Preferably at centre back, with Penney at left back. 

So do we drop Hector? 

He's been poor for the last two games IMO but was player of the month before that!

Not been the same since Jos dropped him

In theory Hector's passing should mean we get further up the pitch because Bannan doesn't have to keep coming into the back four. I'd want to keep him in for that reason, But Bannan was back in his quarter-back role tonight anyway so we might as well play Thorniley who is a better defender.

1 minute ago, davetherivelinowl said:

So do we drop Hector? 

He's been poor for the last two games IMO but was player of the month before that!

In theory Hector's passing should mean we get further up the pitch because Bannan doesn't have to keep coming into the back four. I'd want to keep him in for that reason, But Bannan was back in his quarter-back role tonight anyway so we might as well play Thorniley who is a better defender.

I don't think Hector had a bad game tonight tbh..He at least looks to carry the ball forward

4 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

So do we drop Hector? 

I’d have Hector in front of the back four instead of Pelupessy. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I was just going to say this.

Thorniley CB, Penney FB, Hector just in front of the back 4 where he can bring the ball forward, Bannan further, much further up the pitch, making the play in the opposites half, instead of on the edge of our box.

I want us to stick with 4 at the back. Thornily is by far our best left back option in a 4.

Especially in games we have coming up , Blackburn Rotherham are physical teams.

Just let the back four defend and defend properly.

We have enough flair players to choose from further up the pitch.

He played against their most dangerous player tonight and won his battle.

Edited by oldishowl

57 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Of all the squad decisions that Luhukay has made this season and the bemusing number of changes he seems addicted to making, perhaps the worst two are that Thorniley has not been more of a fixture and that Pelupessy has.

29 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Of all the squad decisions that Luhukay has made this season and the bemusing number of changes he seems addicted to making, perhaps the worst two are that Thorniley has not been more of a fixture and that Pelupessy has.

You could be right there. 

One could easily be used more, and the other far less. 

Dropping Joey seems like a change he is unwilling to make. 

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

I get the slow integration of youngsters but let’s assess I’m a case by case basis. This lad is mature enough and mentally strong enough to cope. 

Hes also one of few players that has natural aggression and we need them where we find ourselves now 

MOTM

That second half tackle in front of the North it had Sam written all over it !