Adam Reach - One ray of sunshine

In a season which is giving little pleasure, Adam has been a rare exception, and we should enjoy him. 

Six goals in 18 games from midfield in a low-scoring side is superb. It’s a better return even than the excellent Kieran Lee provides. Kieran averages around 7 per season. If he continues at his current rate he will end the season with an eye-catching 14-16 goals.

His own effectiveness is the polar opposite of the team’s. In our last 9 games Adam has scored 4 of our pitiful 8 goals. He’s also no flat-track bully, having scored against Boro, West Brom, Leeds and Derby so far.

On Saturday he was excellent again. Apart from his superbly timed run and ultra-confident finish (did anyone really think he would miss?), he was shear quality on the ball. Picking the ball up deep and driving forward he was uncatchable by a strong set of Derby players. His confidence is sky-high, and you can feel him trying to get into shooting positions four or five times each game now. His thru-ball to Nando was top class.

He doesnt have the tricks of a Waddle or a Forestieri to make you purr, but his stride, pace and powerful shot make him a high-quality player. Moreover, he is freakishly fit - he has played 90 minutes in 16 of our 18 league games this season. I remember being shocked and stunned when it was announced he had failed a last-minute fitness test at Brentford. He needed 2 minutes rest by being subbed on 88 v Stoke...lazy git.

I still think he is under-appreciated and we need to enjoy him while he is here, for it will be a miracle if he is wearing our colours in August next year. At 25 years old and clearly improving year on year he has his best 4 or 5 seasons ahead of him. Seems a top bloke. I’m delighted for him and hugely saddened that we haven’t been lucky enough or shrewd enough to have seen him playing for Wednesday in the Prem.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

Adam Reach is a strange one for me, like Saturday he seems to have a corker of a game every 5 or 6 games but in the other games has little influence. ( Thought he took his goal wonderfully well )

After 2 years I am still not sure what is best position is and I don't think Carlos or Jos could/can make their mind up. He looks perfect for left wing back but when he plays in that position it doesn't work.  I like him a roving attacking midfield role as I think he is poor defensively.

For me despite his goals this season his best form was last year when he carried the team when Bannan was out.

Think his stock will be very high come January and if we get an offer of anything around 15 million I would wish him all the best and cash in.

Adam could be responsible for the financial saving of us if he leaves for big Money in January. Having said that I have no idea whether income in January from player sales counts immediately as far as Profit and Sustainability rules go regarding our current position. I am sure that one of us will have the definitive answer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Adam could be responsible for the financial saving of us if he leaves for big Money in January. Having said that I have no idea whether income in January from player sales counts immediately as far as Profit and Sustainability rules go regarding our current position. I am sure that one of us will have the definitive answer.

We also do't know if there was some sort of sell on clause in the transfer with 'Boro.

Example if they insisted we had a 20% sell on clause, it means we will lose a big chunk of the fee we receive. 

He's one of a number of good available players we have at the club (Baz, FF, Fletch, Lees) and we should be doing better. Add to them the likes of Jaoa, Matias, Pudil, Thornily, and its not a bad squad. Then, ofcourse, sitting in the wings we have the mystery of  Messrs Abdi, Hutch, Boyd, Jones, Winnall, Hoops and Westy. Plus KL who I fear we'll never see again. So yes Reach is a good player, he carried us last season, but with that talent we should be doing an awful  lot better than we are.

3 hours ago, NYowl said:

Adam Reach is a strange one for me, like Saturday he seems to have a corker of a game every 5 or 6 games but in the other games has little influence. ( Thought he took his goal wonderfully well )

After 2 years I am still not sure what is best position is and I don't think Carlos or Jos could/can make their mind up. He looks perfect for left wing back but when he plays in that position it doesn't work.  I like him a roving attacking midfield role as I think he is poor defensively.

For me despite his goals this season his best form was last year when he carried the team when Bannan was out.

Think his stock will be very high come January and if we get an offer of anything around 15 million I would wish him all the best and cash in.

I know your post is very positive on the whole, but just to point out that for a player having little influence he has scored 4 in 9 games, hit the woodwork (aluminium-work?), forced great saves, and played some superb thru-balls.

For a midfielder that’s Lampard/Gerrard-esque.

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Top player who we will probably be forced to sell in January :-(

Nah, I don't think so, Chansiri can be quite stubborn when it comes to selling our good players.  Look at the offers we've had in the past for Forestieri, Bannan, etc.  

I think the P&S shortfall we apparantly have next year will be covered by all of our natrual outgoings (we all know who they are!) and we'll plug gaps with free's and bringing more youngsters through.  I can't see us selling anyone decent.  

If we do sadly lose him he needs to go to a club that starts him and doesn’t just use him from the bench. Bournemouth comes to mind, as does Everton and Leicester, this is assuming that he goes to a Premier League club. However he is the sort of player that we should be building a team around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I know your post is very positive on the whole, but just to point out that for a player having little influence he has scored 4 in 9 games, hit the woodwork (aluminium-work?), forced great saves, and played some superb thru-balls.

For a midfielder that’s Lampard/Gerrard-esque.

He is most definatly having a purple patch with his goal scoring at the moment, but if you look at his goal scoring record since he joined its more like one every 9 or 10 games which is about normal for an attacking midfield player.

He played well on Saturday, but for the 4 or 5 games before that he was below average.

We are up to our neck in financial problems and are in a position were we have to trade. In the past I think we have hung on to players and seen their value fall.

Adam Reach is a good championship player and several times on this forum I have stated that he must be a managers Dream with his versatility, fitness and great attitude, but  along with the other Crown Jewels if the price is decent  we should sell and start getting ourselves out of the red.

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

In a season which is giving little pleasure, Adam has been a rare exception, and we should enjoy him. 

Six goals in 18 games from midfield in a low-scoring side is superb. It’s a better return even than the excellent Kieran Lee provides. Kieran averages around 7 per season. If he continues at his current rate he will end the season with an eye-catching 14-16 goals.

His own effectiveness is the polar opposite of the team’s. In our last 9 games Adam has scored 4 of our pitiful 8 goals. He’s also no flat-track bully, having scored against Boro, West Brom, Leeds and Derby so far.

On Saturday he was excellent again. Apart from his superbly timed run and ultra-confident finish (did anyone really think he would miss?), he was shear quality on the ball. Picking the ball up deep and driving forward he was uncatchable by a strong set of Derby players. His confidence is sky-high, and you can feel him trying to get into shooting positions four or five times each game now. His thru-ball to Nando was top class.

He doesnt have the tricks of a Waddle or a Forestieri to make you purr, but his stride, pace and powerful shot make him a high-quality player. Moreover, he is freakishly fit - he has played 90 minutes in 16 of our 18 league games this season. I remember being shocked and stunned when it was announced he had failed a last-minute fitness test at Brentford. He needed 2 minutes rest by being subbed on 88 v Stoke...lazy git.

I still think he is under-appreciated and we need to enjoy him while he is here, for it will be a miracle if he is wearing our colours in August next year. At 25 years old and clearly improving year on year he has his best 4 or 5 seasons ahead of him. Seems a top bloke. I’m delighted for him and hugely saddened that we haven’t been lucky enough or shrewd enough to have seen him playing for Wednesday in the Prem.

Yet 18 months ago we had posters on here telling us, in there expert view, that has was a waste of £5m, worst money we had ever spent, getting the blame for every thing at the club.