Martin O'Neill

15 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

His last stint in club management was over 5 years ago, and the last time he won promotion was...?

There's nothing to suggest he still has what it takes to do any better than what we have now - do you honestly think there's a manager out there at the moment who could win promotion with the current squad?  We are building for the future.  O'Neill would be going back into the past, for no obvious reason.

Mate my comment was not about us, it was about Stoke City

20 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

His last stint in club management was over 5 years ago, and the last time he won promotion was...?

There's nothing to suggest he still has what it takes to do any better than what we have now - do you honestly think there's a manager out there at the moment who could win promotion with the current squad?  We are building for the future.  O'Neill would be going back into the past, for no obvious reason.

Last time he won promotion was at Leicester in 1996, but has always managed in the top league or internationally since so that is slightly misleading.

At one time one of the best managers about but think he is a bit over the hill. Doubt he would want the grind of 2-3 years building a club in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

I can’t actually believe they wouldn’t.

He is JUST what this club needs. Been successful everywhere he’s been, massively experienced. If we could persuade him to come ( which I very much doubt) we should do it in a heartbeat.

There are now two massively better managers out of work now in O Niel and Jacanovic. 

4 now actually Plonk .......

The Two you've mentioned and also 

O'Neil and Jokanović.

I'll get me coat ........lol

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Ok you obviously know more than me.

What on O'Neills career would you say he would be a perfect fit to take a former Premiership team back up at the first time of asking,

He has a cv that consists of 5 promotions 2 of which were to the premier league, has won the cup on 5 occasions, and also 3 league titles with Celtic and a runners up in the Eufa Cup. He has managed in our league and had success, the premier league and also the Scottish premier league, he has international experience and has a lot of contacts in the football world.

Yes he is 66 but I feel still has a lot to give the right team.

He also had the sense to ditch DiCanio and go on to win 3 league titles.