10 men for the good of the game?

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

Tower of Babel.

Home ground of the Babylons.

They built it when they got promoted into the Heaven Premiership.

No parachute payments when they got relegated.

They did get free parachutes though.

source.gif

Wasn't that named Ashtar Gate? lol

4 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

The best way to open play up is to get rid of offside altogether.

Firstly it removes controversial decisions but also the players have a greater area to cover and so more space to play football in. 

Somewhere in the distant past there was a trial of only having offside in the last 30/40 yards. It might have been in the US. The result? Less congestion in the midfield, more goals and better decisions from linos who had a smaller area to cover. Teams couldn't play a highline. Of course it was ditched, I mean why would Fifa want better attacking play and more goals?

• Thanks 1

I've always thought 10 men was more logical than eleven, especially in the digital age.

Clubs would save 10% on the wage bill which could be a life saver for the smaller clubs. (OK, with subs,coaches etc it's maybe under 5%).

Pitches could be smaller so valuable land would be saved.  Could  save millions in a place like London.

You'd get more goals so the sport might be more popular outside Europe and Sth America.

Stadia could be slightly smaller  .... or the same size but with larger capacity.

Careers of older players would last longer as they have slightly less ground to cover.

Don't see why tactics would be much different.

I'd also make the goals 25 feet wide instead of the current 24 feet.  So shots which at present hit the post would go in.

Football is the world's most popular sport- but it still needs to change and develop to survive.

6 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I've always thought 10 men was more logical than eleven, especially in the digital age.

Clubs would save 10% on the wage bill which could be a life saver for the smaller clubs. (OK, with subs,coaches etc it's maybe under 5%).

Pitches could be smaller so valuable land would be saved.  Could  save millions in a place like London.

You'd get more goals so the sport might be more popular outside Europe and Sth America.

Stadia could be slightly smaller  .... or the same size but with larger capacity.

Careers of older players would last longer as they have slightly less ground to cover.

Don't see why tactics would be much different.

I'd also make the goals 25 feet wide instead of the current 24 feet.  So shots which at present hit the post would go in.

Football is the world's most popular sport- but it still needs to change and develop to survive.

Like the idea of moving the goals ...........................could do it in play :biggrin: 

8lvtqa48oen11.gif

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Nah ......................that was the 8th gate to the inner city of Babylon, spelled Ishtar Gate.

Know some stuff me :stuwinky:

untitled_by_metalowy_metalowiec-d9a6oeb.gif

Close enough!

I was playing on Ashton Gate - Ishatr Gate ergo Bristol = Babylon!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am not really a fan of VAR but think it is coming. Think VAR will hold the game up too much and spoil the flow of the game. Even after seeing penalty incidents 5 or 6 times from various angles I am still unsure if it should be a pen or not.
I was against video replays in Cricket but think this had added to the game so I suppose I might change my mind but at moment I am not a fan of VAR.

When it's used properly it's actually really good. Was in Germany watching a match last week and it was only after i got home and read match report I knew they had used VAR 4 times during the game.

Like with everything else, FIFA just made a total shambles of it in the World Cup.

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Which club was it that couldn't build their stadium any higher as it was getting to peak and ended up making the pitch smaller and lowering into a pit to extend downwards?

I think Barcelona did that. 

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think game would be more interesting if players did not go down all the time and fake and exaggerate injuries and contact.

Think this has spoiled many games for me. Really miss the old blood and thunder games.

Now find many game more tactical and find it a bit dull. 

Non league is where it's at. 

9 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

The best way to open play up is to get rid of offside altogether.

Firstly it removes controversial decisions but also the players have a greater area to cover and so more space to play football in. 

Id go further. Make goals twice as big and all goalkeepers are not allowed to be any taller than 5 foot. Goals galore ,and value for money for the supporters.