Should we agree to sign up with Sky's new deal?

14 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

I remember when we were one of the original clubs discussing a European league never mind this lot now !!!

Now we are not even mentioned in the same breath as Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Huddersfield and Cardiff.....tragic :-(

They can't polish a turd, but they can role it in glitter.

Can you imagine Bournemouth v Burnley in the FA Cup final?

:tango:

No Matter how much we like to moan about the Sky money that has ruined the game we've loved over the last few decades,Nothing is ever going to get done about it because of the absolute stench of Corruption and Greed that has manifest itself in the game ie Sky TV and FIFA.In any other Business,There would have been strong case for the Government to intervene but Knowing FIFA they will not tolerate Government interference in the Sport.:carlos::carlos:

FFP is part of the same broken Premier League scam to abolish relegation and promotion.

Can you imagine that Brian Clough took Forrest from a second division team to European Champions in the same era when Liverpool and Villa were also winning European honors?

Football is so good now Bournemouth are a MASSIVE Premier League club.

I watched all three parts of this documentary earlier this evening, Howard Wilkinson claimed he'd come to Wednesday to win the European Cup too! That will only ever happen now if someone buys it for us, which ain't happening.

So we should just get on with enjoying being Sheffield Wednesday.

Premier League 2 just got a step closer.  

Derby, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Stoke, West Brom, Norwich, QPR, Boro, and I'm sure DC will be chasing the cash.  Clubs from PL1 would rather get relegated to PL2.  It'll end up with PL1 15 teams, PL2 15 teams; less games per season and a break at Christmas. 

Could work out well for the national team. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Premier League 2 just got a step closer.  

Derby, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Stoke, West Brom, Norwich, QPR, Boro, and I'm sure DC will be chasing the cash.  Clubs from PL1 would rather get relegated to PL2.  It'll end up with PL1 15 teams, PL2 15 teams; less games per season and a break at Christmas. 

Could work out well for the national team. 

And to think all this is happening at a time when Acrrington Stanley are competing in L1 to try and get into the Championship for the first time in their history.God knows what they will feel like if they were to go up this season and find they cannot play in PL2.For me the whole things Stinks.:tango:

I agree football is broken. 

However there's money and someone's going to get it.  It might as well be us. 

And if that's the case we should hold out for more. Much more. 

The only logical way for ticket prices to come down (which won't happen) or stabilise (which might) is the club to have another source of income. 

For context I have 2 and half seasons left on my season ticket and a Sky Football subscription. So I'm paying either way lol

Edited by Rev Owl

4 hours ago, everydays_wednesday said:

I remember when we were one of the original clubs discussing a European league never mind this lot now !!!

Now we are not even mentioned in the same breath as Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, Huddersfield and Cardiff.....tragic :-(

When the fizz were we ever genuinely part of talks for a Euro Super League?

We may have had a great side in the early 90’s, but we’ve never had the elite levels of support of a Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool; or even the support of a Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Everton, Villa, Leeds, or Sunderland.

You’d need to have at least 10 English sides guaranteed to be part of a European Super League for us to even be considered.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I hate to break it to you but pre Sky the entire football league got £11m per season for the League rights.

Coverage was shockingly bad

Crowds were shockingly bad

Stadiums as we know all to well were shockingly bad

Football really was broken then and us that lived it do not have a rose tinted recollection it was better. It wasn't 

9 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Would a breakaway league have it's own FFP rules?

No, which is why DC is starting his own league: D-League

The plan is to have 4 official sponsors, but no actual football teams. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I hate to break it to you but pre Sky the entire football league got £11m per season for the League rights.

Coverage was shockingly bad

Crowds were shockingly bad

Stadiums as we know all to well were shockingly bad

Football really was broken then and us that lived it do not have a rose tinted recollection it was better. It wasn't 

What about the football though?

Was there genuine sporting competition?

Was it more or less of an even playing field? 

Was entertainment atleast a slight consideration? 

Think it needs to be rejected. Seems a very one sided deal to me.

The introduction of Sky red button transmission for all but Saturday matches will destroy our attendances next season.

The money has to be sufficient to compensate for playing in almost empty stadia. Who will turn out on a snowy January Tuesday night when the game can be watched at home?

The repeated tinkering with fixtures and the advent of 3 international breaks mean that not enough of our games are played on Saturday afternoon. Even season ticket holders will think twice reducing the in stadium revenue.

25 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Think it needs to be rejected. Seems a very one sided deal to me.

The introduction of Sky red button transmission for all but Saturday matches will destroy our attendances next season.

The money has to be sufficient to compensate for playing in almost empty stadia. Who will turn out on a snowy January Tuesday night when the game can be watched at home?

The repeated tinkering with fixtures and the advent of 3 international breaks mean that not enough of our games are played on Saturday afternoon. Even season ticket holders will think twice reducing the in stadium revenue.

Totally agree, these are the issues that need to be addressed. Sky now "owning" international football will also mean more pushes for more games etc. That plays havoc with a 46 game season + cups. You would hope that all clubs are taking this into account before signing anything. 

Compared to the money going to the Premier league and the increasing strength of the Championship, doesn't seem a good deal to me.

Would be nice to see the club's take a stand and will be interesting who holds the balance of power.

With due respect, without the Championship clubs the EFL have a significantly diminished product, much the same way they have devalued the league cup into a reserves competition.

PL2 will be inevitability within the near future and we should be looking to be involved.

Edited by striker