6 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I remember that...................we actually featured on MOTD when they only used to show two matches , imagine that now, a league 1 game getting preference over 10 premier league games.

Was at this game, went up to a copper after game asking for directions to train station and never noticed police dog at side of him. 

Bit me on arm ripping new jacket I had bought for christmas, mother went mad when I got home. :duntmatter:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

At the risk of being pedantic that game was 16th October 1976! Soother you were 13 then or you're 58 now! lol

Thought it was 79 because of topic thread ... but only a couple of years out !!!!.... anyway my point is ... watching players like Johnson .. Curran.. .andy mac .. Taylor ..Smith  etc....really made you relate to the team ..and most people in their fifties now got their loyalty engrained into them by watching those players.... rose tinted glasses maybe ???.... but far more commitment from them players than nowadays 

31 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Thought it was 79 because of topic thread ... but only a couple of years out !!!!.... anyway my point is ... watching players like Johnson .. Curran.. .andy mac .. Taylor ..Smith  etc....really made you relate to the team ..and most people in their fifties now got their loyalty engrained into them by watching those players.... rose tinted glasses maybe ???.... but far more commitment from them players than nowadays 

I think part of it is also down to the fact that in those days, especially at Div Three (currently League 1) level players could make a decent living playing football, but it certainly didn't set them up for life so they played for the love of the game not the money.

Many of them when they retired from the game went on to do the sorts of jobs that most of the fans watching would be doing anyway so there was definitely the feeling that they were "one of us", unless of course they committed high treason by joining the Blunts in which case they were definitely "one of them"!.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

On 21 November 2018 at 20:32, bradowl said:

Was at this game, went up to a copper after game asking for directions to train station and never noticed police dog at side of him. 

Bit me on arm ripping new jacket I had bought for christmas, mother went mad when I got home. :duntmatter:

Perfect day this. There were eight of us in two cars and we ended up staying overnight in a pub in Stow-on-the Wold. Plenty of beer that night rounded off with a decent cigar and watching the re-run on MOTD. Best night out ever - good mates, good beer and good result.

• Like 2