L***s Fans Want Westwood In January

On 17 November 2018 at 18:49, Ash76 said:

Hahaha, who is going to spend 500k in January on an ageing injury prone keeper that they'd could pick up for free in the summer? 

We won't get a penny, should be happy to save the money on his wages

Possibly a team with ambitions to improve who haven't dug themselves into a massive hole and want to blame the players?

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

Westwood has been a great keeper for us but I don’t know where people get this idea he’s premier league standard. If he was at that level then he’d be playing at that level. As things stand he’s 34 years old and has played 19 prem games.

Exfuckingactly

45 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Oooooh another Westwood thread

Another chance for the apologists to pile on and tell us hes shyte - like they do about Hutchinson.

Who said he’s poo ? 

On 17 November 2018 at 18:54, Utah Owl said:

Look we know that he was a very good keeper, we don't know if he still is. We do know that Dawson is a more than capable replacement.

We also know that financially we are up the proverbial creek. The only way we can rebuild for the future is to move as many of the high earners as is sensible and possible out as soon as we can so that we can rebuild from a mixture of our own youth, exciting young prospects from elsewhere and loans.

On that basis Westwood (and others) leaving not only makes sense but is essential to our immediate prospects of being able to start signing so we can compete again.

Let's hope we have a good promotion campaign in league 1 next season then. 

On 17 November 2018 at 19:01, Utah Owl said:

Why should he have played for us? You're not privy to seeing him in training and being able to compare on a daily basis with Dawson but Jos is.

Stop basing who should be playing on what they were doing for us 18months or more ago, otherwise we'd still be playing Pressman, Walker, Waddle, Sheridan et al!

The past is gone and it can't be resurrected no matter how much we want it.

Bit of a difference between Pressman 20 plus years ago and our best keeper for years from the last few seasons. Don't get sucked in by the clubs PR.

Just asking and not being argumentative, but it says Utah Owl? Do you get to matches?

14 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Bit of a difference between Pressman 20 plus years ago and our best keeper for years from the last few seasons. Don't get sucked in by the clubs PR.

Just asking and not being argumentative, but it says Utah Owl? Do you get to matches?

I'm from Sheffield and have followed Wednesday all my life.

No I don't get to matches these days as it a bit difficult travelling 5,000 miles from Utah as opposed to 2.5 miles from Stannington!

That doesn't stop me from following them every other way I can though does it, even though clearly I am not of the "true faith" because I don't go every week and am therefore not entitled to an opinion!

23 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

That's what training is for.

Any slot in the first team belongs to the player in possession of the shirt. Anyone who wants to replace them has to prove themselves first in training then in reserve matches. No one should have an automatic right to walk back into the first team regardless of who they are, yet that seems to be what you and others on here are saying. If so that is complete madness, none of the great managers would ever operate that way, not Busby, Shankley, Revie, Clough, Paisley, Dalglish, Ferguson etc, etc.

I have never known a club announce their first team keeper before a season starts. Built up into something massive and we just binned Westwood. If you had a poll on Owlstalk, 80/90% would have said Westwood number one. I'm not saying that is the ultimate measure. Because Jos went with Dawson people who want to seem to be ITK agree with this decision. We conceded goal after goal with Dawson. His confidence seemed fubarred. Flapping at crosses, not coming for the ball, not commanding his defenders. If we are going to stick with him he just needed a game or two out. Jos just kept going. We got a clean sheet against Utd and we celebrate like it was a lottery win. If he performs in training like he performs in matches he wouldn't be sat on the bench. Apparently Wildsmith is struggling in the U23s. Not everything the club decide on is beyond question. 

4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I'm from Sheffield and have followed Wednesday all my life.

No I don't get to matches these days as it a bit difficult travelling 5,000 miles from Utah as opposed to 2.5 miles from Stannington!

That doesn't stop me from following them every other way I can though does it, even though clearly I am not of the "true faith" because I don't go every week and am therefore not entitled to an opinion!

I said I wasn't being argumentative and was asking a question. I didn't say anything about true faith or going every week so stop with the grief. I didn't ask about travelling distances or ability to have an opinion. All I would say and it may have a bearing on your thoughts is watching the Jos project week in week out is mind boggling and may have a bearing on your support of him and his decision making. 

5 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

I said I wasn't being argumentative and was asking a question. I didn't say anything about true faith or going every week so stop with the grief. I didn't ask about travelling distances or ability to have an opinion. All I would say and it may have a bearing on your thoughts is watching the Jos project week in week out is mind boggling and may have a bearing on your support of him and his decision making. 

Why even ask the question if it's not being argumentative?

Anyway back to Jos. I think we have a manager who is trying to build something the right way by bringing on the youth. We have effectively blooded four youngsters this year who look as if they will make the grade. If we can add two or three more over the next few years in addition to scouting out young talent from elsewhere and a couple of decent loan signings, then the picture starts to look a whole lot healthier. The big questions for me are:

a) does our owner have the patience for this?

b) do our fans have the patience for this?

Growing your own takes longer but ultimately it's a far better more sustainable way for any club.

In any event we are somewhat hamstrung over the next couple of years until the reckless overspending has worked it's way out of the FFP calculations so really we have little option. My only major disagreement over the Westwood situation is why wasn't he shipped out in August as he is an expensive luxury we currently can't afford (as are many others still on the books - see my thread on "Perspective - This Is A Major Rebuild & Jos Needs Time").

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Why even ask the question if it's not being argumentative?

Anyway back to Jos. I think we have a manager who is trying to build something the right way by bringing on the youth. We have effectively blooded four youngsters this year who look as if they will make the grade. If we can add two or three more over the next few years in addition to scouting out young talent from elsewhere and a couple of decent loan signings, then the picture starts to look a whole lot healthier. The big questions for me are:

a) does our owner have the patience for this?

b) do our fans have the patience for this?

Growing your own takes longer but ultimately it's a far better more sustainable way for any club.

In any event we are somewhat hamstrung over the next couple of years until the reckless overspending has worked it's way out of the FFP calculations so really we have little option. My only major disagreement over the Westwood situation is why wasn't he shipped out in August as he is an expensive luxury we currently can't afford (as are many others still on the books - see my thread on "Perspective - This Is A Major Rebuild & Jos Needs Time").

Seen the thread and read it. I agree we have big problems and need to address the utter mess made. However it's easy to support what's happening when you don't see it and don't pay to see it and not weeing £1200 up the wall and seeing the utter poo that is happening on the pitch. I asked you a fair question. 

Just now, stanningtonowl said:

Seen the thread and read it. I agree we have big problems and need to address the utter mess made. However it's easy to support what's happening when you don't see it and don't pay to see it and not weeing £1200 up the wall and seeing the utter poo that is happening on the pitch. I asked you a fair question. 

No, it's not a fair question at all because you don't even consider how much I've spent watching crap Wednesday sides all over the country over the last fifty years.

One single trip from here to see them costs more than most fans spend in a season and you only have to look at the site to see there are plenty of overseas Owls who desperately look forward to getting back home every few years to visit S6.

There are far too many on this site who put our views down just because we can't attend regularly. We all listen or look in on the internet and I promise you if you cut us we all bleed blue and white stripes (DC take note) and we all avidly follow the news from back home.

9 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

No, it's not a fair question at all because you don't even consider how much I've spent watching crap Wednesday sides all over the country over the last fifty years.

One single trip from here to see them costs more than most fans spend in a season and you only have to look at the site to see there are plenty of overseas Owls who desperately look forward to getting back home every few years to visit S6.

There are far too many on this site who put our views down just because we can't attend regularly. We all listen or look in on the internet and I promise you if you cut us we all bleed blue and white stripes (DC take note) and we all avidly follow the news from back home.

I don't doubt you have spent loads over the years to watch Wednesday and i get that you do everything to see what's happening but you don't see the utter poo week on week. On top of the lies from the chairman and Jos on an almost weekly

basis to justify their mind blowing decision making.

I like to also follow the Liverpool/Klopp experiment but it doesn't cost me a penny so I can accept the daft decisions he makes. 

1 hour ago, stanningtonowl said:

He did mine as well :manager: . 

Sometimes it's best to post just so he has goal in life and gives him a focus. Bless. 

1 hour ago, stanningtonowl said:

IQ?? Very high. 

BF4D6950-3191-4F9F-8854-1481A434ABAE.gif

13 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

I don't doubt you have spent loads over the years to watch Wednesday and i get that you do everything to see what's happening but you don't see the utter poo week on week. On top of the lies from the chairman and Jos on an almost weekly

basis to justify their mind blowing decision making.

I like to also follow the Liverpool/Klopp experiment but it doesn't cost me a penny so I can accept the daft decisions he makes. 

Were you around in the 70's? I was there through the whole mess. I've seen far worse than what is going on now as have many other older Owls.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Were you around in the 70's? I was there through the whole mess. I've seen far worse than what is going on now as have many other older Owls.

Yes I was and so have I but I moved on. 

Because we have been crap in the past should we just accept dross now? Because I was lucky enough to cop for supporting Wednesday?