If you don’t win, you must make sure you don’t lose it

I've never seen a team who keep a clean sheet lose a game so it seems like a sound policy to me but you have to do it on a regular basis and have players who can nick you a goal to win games  like they did under carlos …..not sure what we have at the moment are capable of doing that . 

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I've never seen a team who keep a clean sheet lose a game so it seems like a sound policy to me but you have to do it on a regular basis and have players who can nick you a goal to win games  like they did under carlos …..not sure what we have at the moment are capable of doing that . 

Youve summed up Carlos season 2 which was a genuine if boring plan to get out of the division. 

I’m just not sure there is a plan with Jos - we survived a 0-0 massacre - the team got a clean sheet - but mi underpants were choddified by 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Youve summed up Carlos season 2 which was a genuine if boring plan to get out of the division. 

I’m just not sure there is a plan with Jos - we survived a 0-0 massacre - the team got a clean sheet - but mi underpants were choddified by 90 minutes.

They never looked like scoring after the penalty.

10 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Nappies are the answer!

9 minutes ago, GrowlerInAThermos said:

Negative mentality that. As soon as you start thinking about not winning  the game's over.

Perhaps so. It's originally a quote from Johan Cruyff when he was Barcelona manager.  Though most notably became the pre match team talk mantra of Mourinho when he first arrived at the Bridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Perhaps so. It's originally a quote from Johan Cruyff when he was Barcelona manager.  Though most notably became the pre match team talk mantra of Mourinho when he first arrived at the Bridge.

harry Catterick always  used it in his dressing room pre match talk …...his mantra that he told the players was " right now you  have your £2 draw bonus make sure you don't lose it "...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GrowlerInAThermos said:

Negative mentality that. As soon as you start thinking about not winning  the game's over.

more than one way to win a football match ,the Italian clubs were famous and probably still are for shutting up shop and hope to pinch a goal …….I don't believe though that any side no matter how negatively they set up arnt thinking of winning the game it's just that keeping a clean sheet is there number 1 priority. 

27 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Just had my local Blunts mate on the phone. He had no idea that last week was our first clean sheet of the season. Says he's now really embarrassed.

RESULT!!!!!!

Think about that again.

United are the only team NOT to have scored against us this season.

If I were Jos I would set out to try and win every game 3-2 until the end of the season. Appart from the next Derby, where another clean sheet would be critical. It won't happen, but we really don't need anymore clean sheets now appart from against them.

:tango:

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

harry Catterick always  used it in his dressing room pre match talk …...his mantra that he told the players was " right now you  have your £2 draw bonus make sure you don't lose it "...

Ten wins= Thirty points

Twenty Draws = Twenty points

In scenario two you are unbeaten, but victory will eventually seem impossible and relegation often haunts teams who draw too often.

We can't have another Norwich, and theirs been occasion where we have looked just as bad defensively in other games.

Personally I think Jos needs to get us defending better further up the field, but creating quality chances is key.

We also desperately need one of our Strikers to hit form.

57 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Carlos had better players available to him in his second season than Jos imo.

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Ten wins= Thirty points

Twenty Draws = Twenty points

In scenario two you are unbeaten, but victory will eventually seem impossible and relegation often haunts teams who draw too often.

We can't have another Norwich, and theirs been occasion where we have looked just as bad defensively in other games.

Personally I think Jos needs to get us defending better further up the field, but creating quality chances is key.

We also desperately need one of our Strikers to hit form.

in cattericks day 20 draws was the same as 10 wins 10 losses.....obviously with 3 points for a win you need to be winning games but if you are a poor (ish) side then concentrating on keeping a clean sheet is a good starting point for cobbling together enough points to survive . …….that season under gray being a good case in point ...we scored less than a goal a game and still finished a comfortable 13th with I think only 3 teams conceding less ..