Steven Fletcher to play for Scotland on Saturday?

Scotland resume their UEFA Nations League campaign on Saturday, where recalled Owls striker Steven Fletcher is hoping to make an impact.

Should the 31-year-old be selected, it will be his first cap in 13 months.

Fletcher came off the bench during Scotland’s 2-2 draw with Slovenia in the World Cup qualifying clash back in October 2017.

But the Wednesday forward never gave up hope of a recall, despite his absence from the international stage and said:

“I never thought of officially retiring but maybe that my time had gone for the national team.

"I've managed to get back pain-free which is always good and I've started playing well this season so when I got the call I jumped at the chance to come back.

"I still feel I have a lot to offer and if I can help in any way, shape or form then happy days.”

Fletcher has made 18 appearances for the Owls this season, chipping in with three goals from his last nine.

He added: “I'm here to try.

"Even if that's not playing and it's off the pitch, by giving advice to the young lads and helping them in training or in games."

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Scotland resume their UEFA Nations League campaign on Saturday, where recalled Owls striker Steven Fletcher is hoping to make an impact.

Should the 31-year-old be selected, it will be his first cap in 13 months.

Fletcher came off the bench during Scotland’s 2-2 draw with Slovenia in the World Cup qualifying clash back in October 2017.

But the Wednesday forward never gave up hope of a recall, despite his absence from the international stage and said:

“I never thought of officially retiring but maybe that my time had gone for the national team.

"I've managed to get back pain-free which is always good and I've started playing well this season so when I got the call I jumped at the chance to come back.

"I still feel I have a lot to offer and if I can help in any way, shape or form then happy days.”

Fletcher has made 18 appearances for the Owls this season, chipping in with three goals from his last nine.

He added: “I'm here to try.

"Even if that's not playing and it's off the pitch, by giving advice to the young lads and helping them in training or in games."

They've confirmed he's starting and playing first 60 mins but will then be rested as McNuhiu has to come on, irrespective of score and performance.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, torres said:

They are desperate but not that desperate 

Gi’ o’er :ghoulguy:

If Scotland started with Fletch and Rhodes up front against most international sides, I’d put a fiver on one of them to score. That’s a cracking partnership compared to what they normally put out IMO.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Gi’ o’er :ghoulguy:

If Scotland started with Fletch and Rhodes up front against most international sides, I’d put a fiver on one of them to score. That’s a cracking partnership compared to what they normally put out IMO.

Take it you haven’t seen him play for 8 years 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, debram said:

His recent form has been one of the positives for me, thats when jos doesn't decide to drag him off when were on the front foot, good luck with the scotland squad fletch.

dont get injured ffs. weve nowt apart from him,at the mo,upfront

Just seen this take on Fletcher by Steven Thompson ex Scotland striker.

'Fletcher has played at a high level his whole career'

Thompson believes Steven Fletcher, recalled to the squad after a 13-month absence, should start up front against Albania.

He said: "If you play a back four and you have five in the middle and it goes something like James Forrest, Callum McGregor sitting deep, Stuart Armstrong, maybe Ryan Christie and then Ryan Fraser. That, to me, is a midfield full of ambition, full of attacking options.

"The other issue is who is going to play up front. For me, it would be Steven Fletcher. He has been out of the international scene for a wee while, but he's been there, done it, he's played at a high level his whole career and he's an exceptionally gifted footballer."

McDonald added: "There is a case for Matt Phillips. There was a case for Callum Paterson possibly away from home in terms of pace and power, but he won't give you as much in terms of bringing other people into the game - that would be the one thing to worry about.

"But, if you were boxed in and were looking to stretch the game, someone like Paterson or Phillips would be ideal. However, with the five in behind, you need someone to bring them into the game and that is Fletcher for me."

51 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Might as well not bother. Herr Fleck isn’t even on the bench. WTF:

Announcement I heard was that Fleck, whilst joining the squad, would not be available for selection tonight but would be available for the next match against Israel on Tuesday.

39 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Announcement I heard was that Fleck, whilst joining the squad, would not be available for selection tonight but would be available for the next match against Israel on Tuesday.

Sheffield star will publish a 4 page special if fleck gets a few minutes on the pitch

• Haha 1