If we were relegated...

2 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

Through just accepting the first bid out of fear we'll be stuck with a player we can't afford? Or just our sheer incompetence in the transfer market?

I'm not sure we 'own' some players outright. Some, we will almost certainly only get a percentage of any transfer fee

Don't think we will go go down.

But going down to league one probably won't be that terrible in terms of finance anyways. The fan numbers won't drop by that much, may even go up if we are top of league one compared to bottom of the championship. The competition and TV money probably isn't much different. It's not like the drop a team would feel financially if they dropped from the prem to championship. The major downside would be some of our better players wanting to leave. 

6 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Don't think we will go go down.

But going down to league one probably won't be that terrible in terms of finance anyways. The fan numbers won't drop by that much, may even go up if we are top of league one compared to bottom of the championship. The competition and TV money probably isn't much different. It's not like the drop a team would feel financially if they dropped from the prem to championship. The major downside would be some of our better players wanting to leave. 

Not sure fan numbers will stay the same. Be a big drop off in season tickets and the potg prices will almost certainley mean we wont get a lot back even if doing well.

Edited by matthefish2002

1 minute ago, Simaniac Owl said:

Who?  Please provide some examples. 

Thanks. 

Well perhaps us not selling anybody at all of note is a clue, perhaps another clue is 'We are foooooked if we don't go up says the chairman' Perhaps some of our advisors have very dubious reputations is another clue. Perhaps player / manager recruitment is another clue.

BTW, your welcome.

Third Party Ownership

In simplest terms, TPO is where the football club does not own 100% of a player. They are therefore not entitled to 100% of any future transfer value of this player.
Although technically anyone can own a player, in these arrangements it tends to be companies, businesses and/or actual individuals who provide clubs with capital to buy a player in return for a percentage of that player or they may also own the player outright.
When the player in question is sold, the investors receive the percentage value of the transfer.

TPO's were made illegal in the UK in 2009 and came into force in 2015

However, some player agents are believed to have found ways around the regulations. (Remember big Sam)
These include buying shares in a club, and then taking a cut of any transfer fee that is subsequently received by the club for their player.
Another loophole is to ostensibly give a loan to a club and then not only be repaid that sum, but also to receive a type of interest payment, but again the sum is culled from any transfer fee achieved by the club selling on the player.

1-doy.jpg

9 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Well perhaps us not selling anybody at all of note is a clue, perhaps another clue is 'We are foooooked if we don't go up says the chairman' Perhaps some of our advisors have very dubious reputations is another clue. Perhaps player / manager recruitment is another clue.

BTW, your welcome.

Third Party Ownership

In simplest terms, TPO is where the football club does not own 100% of a player. They are therefore not entitled to 100% of any future transfer value of this player.
Although technically anyone can own a player, in these arrangements it tends to be companies, businesses and/or actual individuals who provide clubs with capital to buy a player in return for a percentage of that player or they may also own the player outright.
When the player in question is sold, the investors receive the percentage value of the transfer.

TPO's were made illegal in the UK in 2009 and came into force in 2015

However, some player agents are believed to have found ways around the regulations. (Remember big Sam)
These include buying shares in a club, and then taking a cut of any transfer fee that is subsequently received by the club for their player.
Another loophole is to ostensibly give a loan to a club and then not only be repaid that sum, but also to receive a type of interest payment, but again the sum is culled from any transfer fee achieved by the club selling on the player.

1-doy.jpg

This is the dark shadow that refuses to go away and makes it much more difficult to work out just what the situation exactly is. It also makes you wonder if it was related to how we were able to have the transfer embargo lifted when on the face of it, nothing of note had changed.

1 hour ago, Buddy Repperton said:

There's every chance we could go down, it's stupid to think otherwise when we're bring forced to sell our best players.

Has anyone seen the last five matches???

#dragtheswampats6

"There's every chance we could go down...has anyone seen the last five matches???"....what the hell are you doing coming on here speaking sense...how very dare you. 

• Haha 1

Looking at the real strugglers this season - by which I mean those who’ve never really been out of the bottom six - I’d be surprised if we went down.

I’d also be surprised if our team doesn’t resemble the one in the OP within the next season or two regardless.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not sure fan numbers will stay the same. Be a big drop off in season tickets and the potg prices will almost certainley mean we wont get a lot back even if doing well.

Its a tough one, would be interesting to see attendances if we were clear at the top of league one, compared to attendances if we are 18th in championship. I reckon we would be surprised, of course overall you would expect revenue to be down, but I don’t think by too much.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We WILL go down if we leave Jos the muppet charge for much longer. Never even seen a Championship game before he arrived eh....just adds to all the reasons why he should go!!

17 hours ago, Mardy Bum said:

We're not skint we'd only need to sell for ffp. Tbh we could do with starting again if anything get rid of the crap and get a new manager who will be able to rebuild. I'm. Sorry but jos has zero future with us. 

i actually think you might be in for a shock.

from the financial situation at the club, jos is doing well, he's bringing in and on young players, this in comparison to carlos is the complete opposite, and in the coming years will save the club a fortune. this alone cannot be displeasing dc.

it's likely we'll see 'star' players leave in the next 2 windows, but this will allow jos to start to 'rebuild', but not along the previous lines of failure.

gone must be the times of buying ageing ex premier rejects for good money and dream wages, we must bring in younger 'hungry' players with a future and their best days in front of them.

of buying just about everybody with a pair o' football boots n' not playing half of them.

We’d have a rubbish team, that’s the answer. It would take a fair bit of input financially to get us back up and I’m unsure what we would be able to spend under FFP down there.

Selling all the decent players would help with that, but we’d be like Sunderland are now with younger players getting the experience and a few lower league older heads in there.

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

We WILL go down if we leave Jos the muppet charge for much longer. Never even seen a Championship game before he arrived eh....just adds to all the reasons why he should go!!

If you'd never even seen a Championship match before he arrived, you're not best placed to cast judgement...

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, chrisd0407 said:

I can't think we will go down unless they put Jones in the centre of defence for the rest of the season.

Any one who thinks we cant go down has not been looking at the way we play

in the last 8 games only bolton out the teams below us in the league have a worse record than us, if that carries on for the next 8 matches we could be in the bottom three by the new year

As much as I hate to say it, I think we will go down looking at the recent performances as I just can't see where we're going to turn it around. We were actually a good team in 1990 who won 1 out of the last 6 games and sank!  And no, I'm not from the dark side - a long suffering owl for over 40 years

• Like 1

Interesting statement in the OP. To much quality in the team to go down?

That won't be the first or last time that a team goes down when they think they have enough quality in November to stay up.

It's high time we should start picking up some points again with the players we have available.