Must read

1 hour ago, trev said:

That's how I read it.

No way has a professional football manager never watched a premier league match.

...unless of course you are one of those peculiar folk who have to manipulate everything the bloke says and does into the most ridiculous and baneful thing you can because even the merest hint of neutrality (never mind positivity) is to be avoided like the Black Death. It"s a psychological state that by it"s own nature precludes itself from being accurate or fair in the first instance. Every colour, no matter how subtle or vibrant is only seen as the deepest imaginable black.

Most interesting point is the one about not seeeing the lack of transfer activity coming. I think many of us believed he was aware of what he’d walked in to.

Mostly likely cause for this? We either deliberately held info back from him or given what we’ve seen the club did not see it coming either......There’s no positive spin to this particular revelation IMO.

Edited by Morepork

27 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

...unless of course you are one of those peculiar folk who have to manipulate everything the bloke says and does into the most ridiculous and baneful thing you can because even the merest hint of neutrality (never mind positivity) is to be avoided like the Black Death. It"s a psychological state that by it"s own nature precludes itself from being accurate or fair in the first instance. Every colour, no matter how subtle or vibrant is only seen as the deepest imaginable black.

Amazing what the results on a football pitch do to people's opinions really. It would be interesting to see this thread if we had just beaten United 3-0.

There are things Luhuky can be criticised for legitimately but when results are poor it becomes like my workplace full of office gossips on here with all the bitching about anything people can try and twist into a negative lol

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Interesting about wanting players to take responsibility. That style of coaching comes across quite clearly. Not sure I agree with it. 

Of course they need to take responsibilty, it has to be a collective thing. Absolving then of that would be a mistake. He’s saying I need them to think on their feet.

To me this highlights something we already know, we have too many mentally weak individuals.

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Interesting about wanting players to take responsibility. That style of coaching comes across quite clearly. Not sure I agree with it. 

The players are not pieces on a chess board totally under the control of the manager. How do you avoid them needing to take responsibility? Was it Luhukay's fault that Tom Lees decided to have a nap in the centre circle against Middlesbrough?

Supporters keep implying (or even saying explicitly, "it's not rocket science") that football is reasonably straightforward and can largely be summed up into some simple principles that go a long way towards being successful. If it was possible to take 24 robots and programme them all in exactly the same way with this knowledge, would every game finish 1-1? One team would still be top and another would still be bottom. The elements of chance and circumstance are often overlooked to a remarkable degree in the involvement with tactics, selections, substitutions, formations etc.

• Like 1

The fact he was thinking about retiring is not a shock. It si clear he had lost touch with German contacts in we have not been linked with any German players and his support staff were all based in Holland in area where he comes from. One of the key factors of bringing a manager from abroad is they can exploit market they have arrived from. Both CC and JL had lost touch with current football when appointed. if Jos is replaced we can not afford to appoint someone who has been out of mainstream football for a prolonged period. 

Hiring an English manager on the verge of retirement is usually not best practice 

Hiring an unknown (and probably fairly unknown in his own country) Dutch bloke on the verge of retirement is utterly baffling and beyond stupidity 

Who on earth sounded out this bloke? 

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Supporters keep implying (or even saying explicitly, "it's not rocket science") that football is reasonably straightforward and can largely be summed up into some simple principles that go a long way towards being successful. If it was possible to take 24 robots and programme them all in exactly the same way with this knowledge, would every game finish 1-1? One team would still be top and another would still be bottom. The elements of chance and circumstance are often overlooked to a remarkable degree in the involvement with tactics, selections, substitutions, formations etc.

Bang on..the last sentence. UTO.

15 minutes ago, Quist said:

The fact he was thinking about retiring is not a shock. It si clear he had lost touch with German contacts in we have not been linked with any German players and his support staff were all based in Holland in area where he comes from. One of the key factors of bringing a manager from abroad is they can exploit market they have arrived from. Both CC and JL had lost touch with current football when appointed. if Jos is replaced we can not afford to appoint someone who has been out of mainstream football for a prolonged period. 

Tbh he's not had any money to spend as such so not really been linked with anyone.

I think he will still have his contacts in Germany after his time there when/if he does and if he's still here to spend it.

26 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The players are not pieces on a chess board totally under the control of the manager. How do you avoid them needing to take responsibility? Was it Luhukay's fault that Tom Lees decided to have a nap in the centre circle against Middlesbrough?

I just think he sometimes doesn’t make changes and doesn’t do anything to change a game when needed. 

My only gripe with him really. I agree players need to take responsibility but the likes of Guardiola would scoff at Jos’ methods. Extreme example maybe but it’s true. 

20 minutes ago, cbirks said:

Full original Voetbal International article (run a Google translate on it):

https://www.vi.nl/pro/overig/de-steel-city-derby-het-gevecht-om-de-bakermat-van-het-voetbal#_=_

Probably my age, but seems I have to register with Facebook or something to see the full article. Does it add anything significant to the op?

In the meanwhile, back to the sausages!

200.gif