Must read

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Interesting.

The translation is slightly dodgy but couldn't believe this bit: “I saw the players in the morning pack their plates with bacon, sausage, beans and egg. And then they made such a soup. I could not stand it, didn’t want to smell it; terrible!"

Comfortable as can be.

But saying that. Unai Emery has banned juice and too much fruit at Arsenal, as it contains too much sugar.

40 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Thanks for posting that. There are quite a lot of interesting tidbits in there.

I thought the final quote was particularly telling, though: "I want to give these guys something, for when I’m gone. Whether that’s tomorrow, in a year or in three years."

Luhukay is working under some difficult circumstances, but he seems to be trying to build something more sustainable than the sh*t or bust strategy his predecessor was allowed to employ. I hope for his sake he's here long enough to see the rewards of this work, but if not, I admire him for at least trying to build some more solid foundations than we've had in recent years.

I agree that Luhukay seems to be trying to educate our players for our (and their) long term benefit, but unfortunately our previous S.O.B. strategy was put in place by our owner, not his employee and our owner is still here. Jos’s comments are a sad reflection of the way the English game has gone and particularly our team’s game. Players should be able to think on their feet and see what needs to be done. You cannot operate every player on the pitch by remote control, like a life-size game of FIFA on a PS4. In all areas of the pitch you need players who are in charge of what happens in the area they are playing, because the teams who have those kinds of players win more games. Discussions on here as to who we should have as captain are a little sad because there are no big characters leaping out that tick all the boxes.

It is interesting to see that DC chose a head coach (CC) to fit in with his own very short term plans (three years for promotion I think he told us at the time?) and he told us that the head coach had no influence on the players we looked at bringing in, although he would be given the final say in whether he wanted the targeted players or not. From interviews around the time we signed a couple of players, ie Rhodes and Butterfield (on loan), it seems that the final say was very last minute and under the circumstances CC either had to say yes and get the players, or no and go without, because there was no time to sign an alternative.

DC and his (player pimp) advisors, preferred a wholesale older/unfit player buying strategy, rather than targeting fitter younger players actually wanted by the head coach and more importantly to improve the team, or to improve the squad. Teams like Wolves, Huddersfield etc have bought very good quality young fit players with just one or two players for each position. In contrast DC and his player selling chums have instead gone for three or four lower quality, older, unfit players on high wages and interestingly have then decided to get rid of the head coach when the sick bay was overflowing with these wholesale older buys. I think the player pimps got the better deal(s) there.

Amazingly in a very callous and calculating con job, our glorious owner brought in a new man in place of his old head coach and decided to call him a manager! Our new manager was told nothing about having absolutely no money to spend whatsoever last summer, or this January, or next summer, or next January, unless we can sell one of a couple of valuable young fit players to fund another two or three lesser quality players to fill out our depreciated squad. We will need these players when a load of the old guard go on frees at the end of the season. 

In the meantime our new "manager" has to play the previously underappreciated, undeveloped, inexperienced younger players, along with the few players who luckily are usually fit and a few of the occasionally fit older players, in order to get us promoted, so that we can buy some more players. I think we are all old enough and wise enough to know that DC’s enforced long term plan is also fatally flawed. Our Jos is a realist and knows that if he is to stand any chance next season of getting us anywhere near the playoffs, he needs to get the promising young players integrated into our team without damaging their confidence too much along the way.

If all of our fans would really buy into that instead of chanting for players who sadly are not part of our club’s long term future, they would be doing everybody a big favour. Whether we like it or not, we are now on a slow and steady path to getting our club back to a state where our spending is sustainable. If only the amount that DC was allowed to spend could be increased a little to compensate for the poor state our club has been in for so many years while paying huge amounts of interest since 2000, we might be able to speed the process up a little. On the other hand that would depend entirely on whether or not DC has actually learned anything about the mistakes he has already made and I get more than a sneaking suspicion that he has got absolutely no idea.

Good luck then Jos, with educating our owner on the finer points of building a team and with educating the players we have on how to take responsibility on the pitch. Two big asks there for the little fellow.

UTO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Trying to build something in a world where we dispose if instant success is achieved. 

He's dropping in bits and bobs about how it used to be - fry ups for breakfast? Christ - no wonder them photos of some players overweight and the team looked like they were towing a caravan at 60 minutes under Carvalahal. 

There must be so many broken pieces to our puzzle - all under the last holiday camp. I guess it's nice to see him trying to instill something not just now - but into the minds of the players and club going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slinger208b said:

Not quite correct.

He said he didn't see it coming.

You suggested he was led to believe there were...

We were all led to believe there were. The only press I read in the summer told me that our number one target was Freddy V, our target was promotion and that I could buy as many advance season tickets as I wanted!

Did our glorious owner forget that the accounts he submitted 5/6 months before were a pile of poo and that the EFL had told him he had to sell and would still nothing to spend on players?

2 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

'Sheffield is not a rich city, the people are not well of'

:Chansiri:

We were quite a wealthy City until they started charging £49 for Hull City at home. Crippled me. Kids eating old bread and berries from the woods. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6