Must read

26 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I wasn’t suggesting Lampard is a proven motivator but he has clearly pulled a few favours.

The bit I highlighted in bold would suggest otherwise! You are quite correct though he has certainly called in a few favours. Has anyone considered that Jos might have had his hands tied in this though due to financial restrictions? He'll still have the contacts but maybe the players he wanted weren't available unless it were for a fee or was at the time of the Embargo?

JL “The match setting of the players is also unprecedented. I do not have to say anything before the kickoff. The boys do well together. At the same time, on the field, they take too little responsibility in my eyesEnglish players take everything the gaffer says. I think they can think more about football themselves and have to solve things on the field. We are working on that. I want to give these guys something, for when I’m gone. Whether that’s tomorrow, in a year or in three years.”

I think its a good interview from Jos. He spells out the problem in the final paragraph of the article in a nut shell. Its all about a lack of responsibility on the ball, making poor decisions, not taking risks that will win us games in forward positions. Not running at defenders.

This is why you won't see JL shouting on the touchline, he's not a control freak, he's given the players who cross the white line responsibility to play.

Now getting eleven players together we can rely on week after week is the real problem

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

So your logic is a manager has money to spend so promotion is guaranteed?  If only it was that simple.  

You certainly do recruit those who you think that will further your business the choice is very subjective.  If only it was that simple.

Did you see who he recruited? If he recruited those to further "his" business there's no reason he's now out of work.

How on earth can anyone champion him? 

34 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The bit I highlighted in bold would suggest otherwise! You are quite correct though he has certainly called in a few favours. Has anyone considered that Jos might have had his hands tied in this though due to financial restrictions? He'll still have the contacts but maybe the players he wanted weren't available unless it were for a fee or was at the time of the Embargo?

You just misinterpreted what I was saying. The first point was a response to DJ as an example of a manager who can pull in a favour rather than it being fanciful. The second point about needing a motivator was a separate point and nothing to do with Lampard.

Im quite sure Jos has had his hands tied in many ways and I think he’s done ok. But as in many cases they usually lay foundations for someone else and in this instance I think a motivator type that says the right things in the media is what we need at the moment.

Edited by Bluesteel

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

You just misinterpreted what I was saying. The first point was a response to DJ as an example of a manager who can pull in a favour rather than it being fanciful. The second point about needing a motivator was a separate point and nothing to do with Lampard.

Im quite sure Jos has had his hands tied in many ways and I think he’s done ok. But as in many cases they usually lay foundations for someone else and in this instance I think a motivator type that says the right things in the media is what we need at the moment.

I'd much rather have someone who says sod all to the media but says the right things to the team!

If this club had not come, I might have already stopped. I had never thought about the Championship, never even seen a match in England. But I still wanted to take the opportunity to experience another football culture. I am glad that I have been able to experience this. The atmosphere in England is beautiful. The passion of the supporters… Sheffield is not a rich city, the people are not well off, but we are supported by thousands of fans at every game. 

The bit in bold is why I think the fans are struggling to take to him, and why there’s seemingly been fall outs with senior pros.

He’s got a completely fresh set of eyes which, unfortunately for him in the short term, could be to his detriment. Long term though it could very well be a masterstroke on DCs part. It could also quite easily turn into a disaster. 

For me, if he is trying to build something here, I just can’t see him being the person that’s here when it eventually does start to bear fruit.

19 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Where have I said they can’t be as you put it, Johhny Foreigners? Your words not mine.

I say experienced managers familiar with the Championship.

So,they can be from the continent, as long as they’ve already got the experience of managing in the Championship, and been successful at it. Not learning their Championship trade with Sheffield Wednesday. We should not be an apprenticeship scheme for unknown and obscure managers unfamiliar with English football. This does not align with a serious attempt to reach the Premiership. It’s just playing about, taking unnecessary gambles at best.

generally in recent times the 'jonny foreigners' have been newbies to the championship.

On 16/11/2018 at 19:19, Morepork said:

Most interesting point is the one about not seeeing the lack of transfer activity coming. I think many of us believed he was aware of what he’d walked in to.

Mostly likely cause for this? We either deliberately held info back from him or given what we’ve seen the club did not see it coming either......There’s no positive spin to this particular revelation IMO.

But at the fans meeting in the summer DC said that he'd made Jos aware of our financial situation before he took the job.

On 16/11/2018 at 19:38, SallyCinnamon said:

Interesting about wanting players to take responsibility. That style of coaching comes across quite clearly. Not sure I agree with it. 

I think that was the issue under Carlos. Let some of those players get away with murder. poor performances, he took the blame and absolved the players of any blame which in my opinion is poor management .. how can players learn and improve when they don't take responsibility for their actions .. play crap, give ball away, miss open nets, thats fine, blame the manager!

On 17/11/2018 at 13:49, Bluesteel said:

They did. But they spent around half that on josefzoon and the rest on Waghorn. Then there is the difference in wages to consider (the key annual cost) in getting rid of one player and adding many more including expensive loanees. Doesn’t add up at face value.

Didn't they make a fair bit the season before though as well selling Tom Ince and couple of others for big money .. its a bit like Forest really .. save up and sell for a few years before spending big ...

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Luhukay PR machine working at full tilt and - looking at the comments in this thread - having the desired affect too.

Smart call to prepare this for the international break / news void after the derby.

Kudos to his management team

Luhukay doesn’t seem the type to hire a whole team of people to manage the public’s perception of him but thank you for bringing this fact to our attention.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, theowlsman said:

He had millions to spend and still fecked it up. He is one of the main reasons we’re now in the shyte. Yeah, he was a great success. FFS.

Then we repeat the exercise with another nobody. Beggars belief.

When you want to make a business a success, you recruit those with the best experience / CVs. It’s not bloody rocket science.

Mind you, some could argue Pinocchio was real on here.

WHAT!!!!!!!??????????  The Spurs manager isn't real ?????  FFS lol 

FFP
FFS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I think that was the issue under Carlos. Let some of those players get away with murder. poor performances, he took the blame and absolved the players of any blame which in my opinion is poor management .. how can players learn and improve when they don't take responsibility for their actions .. play crap, give ball away, miss open nets, thats fine, blame the manager!

Didn't they make a fair bit the season before though as well selling Tom Ince and couple of others for big money .. its a bit like Forest really .. save up and sell for a few years before spending big ...

Maybe, I’m just going off what Rowett and Morris said post playoff defeat ie that they would struggle to change much after the spending of previous managers and FFP restrictions. 

28 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Is that because he drives a Golf that you think he ‘doesn’t seem the type’?

Well to be honest I didn’t realise managers really had PR machines. It’s not because he drives a Golf. I definitely thought it before skimming through that interview. So did you think he had a PR Machine all along? What else have they done? Who are they?

12 hours ago, Sonny said:

Well to be honest I didn’t realise managers really had PR machines. It’s not because he drives a Golf. I definitely thought it before skimming through that interview. So did you think he had a PR Machine all along? What else have they done? Who are they?

Yes.

I’m sure he will have representation that not only manages his contracts, but protects his image and worth.

29 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Yes.

I’m sure he will have representation that not only manages his contracts, but protects his image and worth.

An agent then. So his agent, or, PR Machine, has secured an interview for a Dutch website so that it will filter back to England via Google translate just in time for the international break to fill that void with positive stories to make us think that we want him to stay more than we do.

That’s beautifully subtle and they are sure earning their corn. Thankfully though, there are no flys on you.

• Haha 4