League 1 tactics with a top end Chapionship squad.

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about that, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri are anything but average. Westwood, Lees, Hector, Hutchinson, Matias, Joao and Fletcher are also all good at this level Add in a raft of promising youngsters, and we really shouldn’t be struggling

Got to agree Guru with those players we should not be struggling but constant chopping and changing players match to match is not helping. Jo's should have a near settled 11 by now

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I wouldn’t call it a raft of promising youngsters, and promising does not equate to top end. Dawson has done well, Thorniley has done well, Penney pretty good but more patchy performances than good now. That’s it. 

Fair enough, but I also had in mind those coming through the academy now. Even if we just stick to those three, as they are regularly involved now, added to the ten players I mention, that’s the nucleus of a good squad. Others like Palmer, Pudil, Onomah, Pelupessy, Nuhiu and Winnall, give us a decent group, which a decent coach could utilise

Not even gonna bother reading the thread so apologies if it has been said already. 

Our squad is NOWHERE near top end championship. Out of the players that arent constantly injured only Reach, Bannan, FF, westwood and Thorniley are our only decent players

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

I don't know about skill or talent of our players but for me the big thing that's lacking is movement, United had that in spades.

Players at our level don't need to be able to hit 60 yard passes like bannan keeps trying, they don't need skills to beat a player one on one. 

It's just about movement and giving the man on the ball options, not just one option but 2 or 3. AND KEEP MOVING.

At the moment we've too many players pushing up the pitch and being marked out of the game because they don't move 

Once again we go back to not having an able deputy for K. Lee, we miss the midfield metronome probably more than any of the others. 

55 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fair enough, but I also had in mind those coming through the academy now. Even if we just stick to those three, as they are regularly involved now, added to the ten players I mention, that’s the nucleus of a good squad. Others like Palmer, Pudil, Onomah, Pelupessy, Nuhiu and Winnall, give us a decent group, which a decent coach could utilise

Academy players are no good to us now. You said we were mid table without some pace. You said the pace we needed was Matias. You were right, whilst him and Forestieri have been unavailable we’ve been crap. There’s nothing top end about our squad, and definitely when half the best players are either unavailable half the time or just permanently injured. There’s a reason we’re chucking kids in and it’s not because we’ve got a modern day Class of 92. Ageing injured squad + embargo = desperation.

36 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Academy players are no good to us now. You said we were mid table without some pace. You said the pace we needed was Matias. You were right, whilst him and Forestieri have been unavailable we’ve been crap. There’s nothing top end about our squad, and definitely when half the best players are either unavailable half the time or just permanently injured. There’s a reason we’re chucking kids in and it’s not because we’ve got a modern day Class of 92. Ageing injured squad + embargo = desperation.

Forrestieri is a match winner, and with him on the pitch it is not easy for opposition to send defender on his side join attack (like Basham did when we played United), and that is difference he brings just by been on the pitch even if nothing else goes his way.

Matias for me was revalation this season. Attacks, creates and helps full back playing on his side. When he is not on the pitch our left back constantly gets left to defend against two opposition players due to forward/winger replacing Matias not tracking back. Can't wait to see him starting again.

9 hours ago, Beholder said:

Is basically what is happening under this manager.

Last time I saw us play like we are playing now was under Sturrock in the Championship before he was sacked.

Inferior players, graft over quality, can't string a pass together,  defence over attack....all this when we have high quality players who could come together and play proper attacking football and win games.

WE HAVE THE PLAYERS.

If only we had a chairman who could see it.

spot on

Before the season started most people thought we'd finish mid table. 

2018-11-16 21.48.08.png

Given that we finished last season quite brightly you have to wonder why so many people didn't fancy us for the top spots?

IMO most people, at that early stage already knew that realistically our squad,  with the additional losses Hunt, Loovens, Wallace wouldn't be genuinly challenging. 

Which is exactly how it's panning out.

So I'm not sure why there is now so much shock at our position...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LittleG said:

Am in full agreement with you regarding the negative style of play, however, apart from 2 or 3 players, our squad is very,very average.

This. The OP has a point re tactics, which is exacerbated by too many changes in personnel from match to match, but we are not a top championship side. At best we are a team who could beat anyone on our day (with our more enigmatic players performing) but no way could we be top 6.

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

I wouldn’t call it a raft of promising youngsters, and promising does not equate to top end. Dawson has done well, Thorniley has done well, Penney pretty good but more patchy performances than good now. That’s it. 

And we risk setting them back by overuse, especially if we are struggling.

Even the very best young players, at the biggest clubs, get phased in and taken out occasionally when the manager senses it’s right. If we rely on the youngsters it could be detrimental long term.

13 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

We've bottomed out after buying for NOW, rather than buying for the FUTURE.

We don't have the players. We need to develop them or wait for them to return from injury.

Paitence is a rare trait in football. Norwich showed patience with Daniel Farke, their youth are now thriving.

This 100%.

We have some good players capeble if we're being realistic of maybe sneaking into the top six if everyone is fit.... 

Here in lies the problem. 

Lee, hooper, permanent injuries. 

Abdi, matias, Nando, VanAkren, hutch, Westwood hardly ever complete half a seasons worth of games. 

Jones and Boyd, legs, engines and enthusiasm has waned. 

Were pretty good technically, but do not have a collectively strong mentally or aggressive enough to match up physical teams to be consistent over a season and lack real leadership to drag us through tough games 

The kids have shown promise, but need experience. 

Does that make us real challengers?? 

I don't think so, as we can very rarely pick what would be our best side due to everyone being injured. 

Few people won't like the truth, but being rational and realistic that is how it is. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

14 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

This current squad has never been a top end championship squad! Lower Mid table at best. 

I don't understand how anyone could look at our available squad and think F me they look like promotion candidates.

Even the most optimistic fan in the world couldn't think that. Could they? 

It’s bonkers.

Since we reached the play-offs. Loovens, Wallace, Hunt all gone. Rhodes out on loan. Westwood and Hutch past it. Venancio gone. Hooper, Winnall and Lee injured long term. 

Its considerably weaker now than it was.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Before the season started most people thought we'd finish mid table. 

2018-11-16 21.48.08.png

Given that we finished last season quite brightly you have to wonder why so many people didn't fancy us for the top spots?

IMO most people, at that early stage already knew that realistically our squad,  with the additional losses Hunt, Loovens, Wallace wouldn't be genuinly challenging. 

Which is exactly how it's panning out.

So I'm not sure why there is now so much shock at our position...

I can see the headlines now:

Football team performing as predicted shocker!

• Haha 3