League 1 tactics with a top end Chapionship squad.

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Forestieri and Hutchinson are two big players for us; they were when we finished in the top six and they still are now. 

Jos needs to get them into the team whenever possible.

Who would have thought 12 months ago Hutch would have been fit all season and not playing and Keiren knackered to never play again.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a bit ambiguous as to what loyalty is Some people suggest that this squad is not good enough to challenge for promotion, and in the circumstances, Jos is doing a pretty good job. Some on the other hand, me included, think that we have the players, but not the coach. Which group would be deemed the loyalists?

Both of them is the easy answer.

I don't know if Jos is the manager to take us forward or if someone else would be better. I do think he's come into a bad situation and he's done OKish in the circumstances although he has made some strange decisions on squad selection. As I don't know all the ins and outs of why he's made those decisions I'm prepared to cut him some slack. Others aren't and that's fine by me. Sometimes when a poster goes over the top about Jos I'll step in and support him not because I'm an ardent fan of Jos but because sometimes I think the argument is overdone.

While Jos is the manager I'll support the club, when Jos is replaced I'll still support the club. Sometimes I've been so sick of the state the club has been in I've wanted to wash my hands of it but I can't, I'll still always give a smile when I hear we've won and a grimace when we lose. I'll probably still do the same when I'm on my death bed, I know my dad did.

• Like 1

I don't know about skill or talent of our players but for me the big thing that's lacking is movement, United had that in spades.

Players at our level don't need to be able to hit 60 yard passes like bannan keeps trying, they don't need skills to beat a player one on one. 

It's just about movement and giving the man on the ball options, not just one option but 2 or 3. AND KEEP MOVING.

At the moment we've too many players pushing up the pitch and being marked out of the game because they don't move 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

I don't know about skill or talent of our players but for me the big thing that's lacking is movement, United had that in spades.

Players at our level don't need to be able to hit 60 yard passes like bannan keeps trying, they don't need skills to beat a player one on one. 

It's just about movement and giving the man on the ball options, not just one option but 2 or 3. AND KEEP MOVING.

At the moment we've too many players pushing up the pitch and being marked out of the game because they don't move 

Nail, head.

14 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I was responding to Outlaw Pete's first post in the thread that suggested that all the critic are pigs 

Standard kind of accusation from the 'club men' 

You're right that it's childish to do that kind of thing.

But at the same time, it's just the equivalent of people being accused of being happy to see us get relegated.

14 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I was responding to Outlaw Pete's first post in the thread that suggested that all the critic are pigs 

Standard kind of accusation from the 'club men' 

Not exactly stifling debate though. We've got over 3 pages so far.lol 

5 hours ago, Beholder said:

all this when we have high quality players who could come together and play proper attacking football and win games.

WE HAVE THE PLAYERS.

Not sure about the "high Quality" bit tho.

We've currently got inexperienced kids, & some that are well past their sell by, or crocks.

Anyone half decent will be flogged off in Jan thanks to lovely FFP.

The rest aren't available, allegedly due to poorly negotiated contractual issues or personality issues or whatever {who knows??}. 

There is no pace whatsoever (yes that old chestnut again) and fitness doesn't seem that much better than last year either.  

We don't press and cannot deal with teams that do (which seems to be most of the top half).

Abdi and Boyd both look shot and Hutch only lasts 20 minutes before he's injured or sent off for not staying on his feet (which he's unable to do).

Maybe THIS is why we don't play proper attacking football

Just a thought!

#drag the swamp at S6

1 hour ago, flo said:

I don’t think at this moment Stuart Grays team was weaker. It had Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Lee and Hutchinson also A good Mcgugen as the spine of the team. 

Plus they all pulled together . They knew what position they were playing and trusted the coach and the team sheet /tactics didnt change every game.

20 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Why do people confuse a different opinion with stifling opinion. 

If if you wanna think the sun shines out of George Boyds backside then crack on. I’ll do likewise when I state he’s a bit rubbish.

I equated calling people pigs to stifling opinion. 

Not offering a difference of opinion. 

And this is the last time I am answering the same point. 

3 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Squad is average at best. Take Bannan out and it's actually pretty terrible.  

Not sure about that, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri are anything but average. Westwood, Lees, Hector, Hutchinson, Matias, Joao and Fletcher are also all good at this level Add in a raft of promising youngsters, and we really shouldn’t be struggling

I wouldn’t call it a raft of promising youngsters, and promising does not equate to top end. Dawson has done well, Thorniley has done well, Penney pretty good but more patchy performances than good now. That’s it. 

Edited by Sonny

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about that, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri are anything but average. Westwood, Lees, Hector, Hutchinson, Matias, Joao and Fletcher are also all good at this level Add in a raft of promising youngsters, and we really shouldn’t be struggling

That's rather accentuating all the positives and pretending the negatives aren't there. For example, Lees has clearly not been at his best, Fletcher is still a good player but is in the twilight of his ability to be consistently effective at this level, Joao remains wildly inconsistent, Matias as usual has been unavailable for lengthy stretches and we don't even know what Westwood is capable of anymore. It's been a year since he last played and he was not in the same form back then that we'd come to expect of him.

This current squad has never been a top end championship squad! Lower Mid table at best. 

I don't understand how anyone could look at our available squad and think F me they look like promotion candidates.

Even the most optimistic fan in the world couldn't think that. Could they?