League 1 tactics with a top end Chapionship squad.

The current players being selected are nowhere near a promotion chasing side.

Some of those who are not being selected may have once been, but who knows if they are now. 

Needless to say, I think some fans need to dial back expectations...though I also think Jos ain't good enough.

I'm so conflicted :duntmatter:

....we do have the players to play a more forward thinking expansive game.... Lee, Hooper, FF and Winnall.... but we know what the problem is there... and that's not Jos's doing.

But I also believe we have players that along with a more coherent strategy would make us stronger at the back... Westwood, Hutchinson, possibly Boyd and Jones... and God only knows what's going on there.

Shame really... we could do better

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The current players being selected are nowhere near a promotion chasing side.

Some of those who are not being selected may have once been, but who knows if they are now. 

Needless to say, I think some fans need to dial back expectations...though I also think Jos ain't good enough.

I'm so conflicted :duntmatter:

If he went though Sij, do you think those 'missing' players would come back into the squad? and if not, would a new manager really make a difference with the current group?

16 minutes ago, Beholder said:

The players have been devalued by being played out of position or not played at all.

Just because they aren't played, it doesn't mean their ability to play lessens.

The problem is though; 

ACCEPT we are in a period of transition. 

While we are in this period, If a senior pro makes mistakes like giving away needless penalities ala Hutchinson at Brentford etc, Jones giving away possesion every game etc...

Then why can't that opportunity to make a mistake be given to a youngster?

Season ticket holders don't want to be a part of this transition. I get it.

22 minutes ago, Beholder said:

What is there to be positive about?

The football it utter shlte. Anyone who goes to games can see it.

Its the club loyalists who get up my nose the most on here. Stifling opinion.

I don't get your last bit.

This is a forum and a forum is all about people discussing opinions.

Different people have different opinions and in their minds their opinion is correct.

Just because your opinion differs from others doesn't mean your right and they're wrong or that they are stifling your opinion, it just means opinions differ.

• Thanks 2

We don't have a top end championship squad.

We did have a top end championship squad by (on the whole) bringing in players who had played at a higher level, but were past their peak.  The problem is we then continued to bring in similar players.  That approach will usually lead to a gradual decline in performance on the pitch, which is what we've seen since the first season under Carlos.

This season we've had an influx of academy players, many of whom look to have potential but don't have a lot of experience and are therefore going to be inconsistent.  And some may turn out to be tripe.  :laugh:

Injuries have taken out some of our key performers for long periods of time, which only adds to the degradation in performance.

So yeah, stop with the thinking that we're a top end championship squad and you'll feel a bit better.  ;-)

Edited by oz_owl

11 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

If he went though Sij, do you think those 'missing' players would come back into the squad? and if not, would a new manager really make a difference with the current group?

Well, they were hardly pulling up trees last season before he came in...

There's more going on than just Jos.

I don't know whether it's orders from above, powerful cliques in the dressing room etc., but something isn't right. 

Rotten to the core springs to mind. 

OP isn't wrong..I've only seen us about 5 times this season but this looks like how we set up.

Like we're trying to take each match to a replay...until about the 70th minute..Carlos was losing the plot but this is worse

Joao in his own half..Nuhiu on the right.

Like a 10 year old playing Champ Manager 

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

We've bottomed out after buying for NOW, rather than buying for the FUTURE.

We don't have the players. We need to develop them or wait for them to return from injury.

Paitence is a rare trait in football. Norwich showed patience with Daniel Farke, their youth are now thriving.

I have been patiently waiting since May 2000 for a good team is it going to be much longer now..........:picnic:

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Ask yourself, if you were the manager of Leeds, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Derby, West Brom etc. how many of our players would you be remotely interested in signing? We have a handful of top performers at this level (two of whom the current manager hasn't even had the chance to pick once in his 10 months at the club), a few who once were or have the potential to be in the future, but the bulk of them are decidedly average. And a number of them are not reliable from the standpoint of avoiding injury. The delusion that we should be competing at the top is a problem that some supporters need to come to terms with in order to gauge more appropriately how we are competing at the moment.

Westwood, Fessi, Reach, Bannan, Lees, Joao

If Fit Hooper, Lee, Winnall

Looking to the future Dawson, Penney, Wildsmith

8 minutes ago, Nick the Owl said:

This thread shows part of the problem... significantly overestimating the quality of our squad. 

That's not to say that Jos can't get more out of what he's got but let's not kid ourselves that most of the players currently at our disposable aren't rank average. 

Take our squad and put Jos, Pearson, Allardyce, Holloway

I would wager that Pearson would have us solid at the back and with a forward like of Fessi, Fletcher and Matias winning games.

I would wager that Allardyce would use experience over youth and by the end of the season we would be top half with a very solid look if not playing entertaining football

I would wager that Holloway would have us playing attacking football playing to our strengths.

I would wager he wont be here because 11 months in he does not have a clue what he is doing.

Put a decent experience manager in change of our current squad and we would at least be top 10.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Take our squad and put Jos, Pearson, Allardyce, Holloway

I would wager that Pearson would have us solid at the back and with a forward like of Fessi, Fletcher and Matias winning games.

I would wager that Allardyce would use experience over youth and by the end of the season we would be top half with a very solid look if not playing entertaining football

I would wager that Holloway would have us playing attacking football playing to our strengths.

I would wager he wont be here because 11 months in he does not have a clue what he is doing.

Put a decent experience manager in change of our current squad and we would at least be top 10.

Look where Norwich are.  Is our squad worse than there's.  Of course it's not.

51 minutes ago, Beholder said:

What is there to be positive about?

The football it utter shlte. Anyone who goes to games can see it.

Its the club loyalists who get up my nose the most on here. Stifling opinion.

I've been loyal to the club for the last 50 years. I'm not ashamed of that.

Being loyal doesn't mean I agree with everything that has gone on at the club over that time. In fact only for short periods have I considered things to be good. Being loyal means standing by the club even when you don't agree with something. I will never support another club.

Don't criticise loyal fans, I thought that's what we all were. I'm surprised you don't consider yourself a loyal fan.

I don't understand how anyone on here is stifling opinion. What has anyone stopped you posting? I'm free to post what I like within the forums guidelines, I thought we all were. Maybe you just object to people disagreeing with you, now that would be stifling opinion. If that's the case get used to it, It's called debate.

• Like 2

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Look where Norwich are.  Is our squad worse than there's.  Of course it's not.

I agree but Norwich have a very good catchment area add to that they bought a player from Coventry for £2m and sold him for £24m a season later.

Unlike our management they signed Jordan Rhodes and played to his strengths hence the reason he is starting to score goals again. They bought winger (Ben Marshall) to cross the ball in the box for strikers to try and score from. A concept that seem very alien to the managers.we have had for the last 3 years.

They also have a chairman who employees staff who can actually do their job and has been able to develop the club without ripping their fans off. 

So yes we may have a better team but our club infrastructure is light years behind Norwich. They have their half season tickets out already whats a betting we will be nearly at Xmas before our club can be bothered to try then they will be charge £30-40 a game.

31 minutes ago, Nick the Owl said:

This thread shows part of the problem... significantly overestimating the quality of our squad. 

That's not to say that Jos can't get more out of what he's got but let's not kid ourselves that most of the players currently at our disposable aren't rank average. 

Completely agree. Although rank average for lots of the squad is being polite.

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I agree but Norwich have a very good catchment area add to that they bought a player from Coventry for £2m and sold him for £24m a season later.

Unlike our management they signed Jordan Rhodes and played to his strengths hence the reason he is starting to score goals again. They bought winger (Ben Marshall) to cross the ball in the box for strikers to try and score from. A concept that seem very alien to the managers.we have had for the last 3 years.

They also have a chairman who employees staff who can actually do their job and has been able to develop the club without ripping their fans off. 

So yes we may have a better team but our club infrastructure is light years behind Norwich. They have their half season tickets out already whats a betting we will be nearly at Xmas before our club can be bothered to try then they will be charge £30-40 a game.

When do ours usually come out?

You'd expect them to be available well in advance of Xmas. The naughty kids can receive them instead of a lump of coal

• Haha 1

Opinions are all going to be different.

Leaving out Hooper Lee Winnall and Westwood as there injured (or so we believe).

Do we have a good enough squad to push the playoffs ? I personally think so but I can see others points who argue that its a bang average mid table squad.

Either way we can agree that it is a lot better than what we are under this manager. We don't have a tactic we don't show progression and to be honest the players look lost. On that I think we can all agree.