Are you always on the same side?

When the going gets tough with results on the pitch there are normally the same 2 camps that form and a couple of stragglers between either side.

The Bedwetters and The Happy Clappers, the opposition's kind names for one other. I reckon most people think the folk they are arguing with are always the same, firmly in that camp. 

Question is, are you always in the same camp during troubling times or have you ever found yourself changing your usual stance, like me. 

About 20 or so months ago, I inexplicably took a disliking to Carlos despite us then going on to finish 4th in the table that season. And boy did I think I could explain it, arguing vehemently with many a poster about it. 

This time, we sit seemingly far worse off with a manager whose only claim to fame with us is steadying the ship last season. No 4th and 6th place finish to back him up and some selections that sometimes beg belief. But I'm not shouting for his head. 

The only way I can explain this is that something in me knew that it was now or `not for a very long time' when Carlos began to wobble in his 2nd season. My main belief was that he was the only owls manager with good money to spend comparative to the league we were in for nearly 20 years. I couldn't stand people saying he was our best manager since Ron because I felt he was the only manager with a chance to be. I felt that right then was the time to get the Bruces or Jokanovics in charge. As Hull and later Fulham went on to show. 

So, I'm backing the current manager because I think I've accepted the 1st and 2nd season under Chansiri and Carlos was ourchance and that we missed it. For how long I don't know. The champions of the best 2 league finishes we've had for ages are out to stud in the paddocks and others have run their course at Wednesday, others are only good for glue. 

Wednesday no longer have a stable that can win the Championship race without some even bigger investment free of FFP rules, some younger, fitter and talented colts coming in.

This takes time and can't even truly start yet so whether we have Jos, McCarthy, Bruce, Jokanovic or champion jockey himself Pep Guardiola, none of them will be able to flog this dead horse over the line this season. 

I believe Jos is a comparatively cheap choice for the self made Donkey Derby we find ourselves in. I believe he's one of the only man who is prepared to take this challenge on under a clear remit from his bosses at SWFC who clearly knew way before we did we were in financial difficulty. 

I believe all Jos has been asked to achieve is to stay up. Seeing what we have left and appear to have available I'd say he's just about doing that job however ugly it can be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I believe all Jos has been asked to achieve is to stay up. Seeing what we have left and appear to have available I'd say he's just about doing that job however ugly it can be.

Naaah, can't see that (above, highlighted) - to oversee a turnaround in fitter, younger playing staff compared to the injury prone/big earners, then yes.

When we've got the main strikers back (FF, MM, Hooper and Winnall) I honestly think we can mount a very good challenge for the playoffs.

This league keeps turning itself inside-out, results wise and no-one's good enough to make a decisive move as yet.

11 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Naaah, can't see that (above, highlighted) - to oversee a turnaround in fitter, younger playing staff compared to the injury prone/big earners, then yes.

When we've got the main strikers back (FF, MM, Hooper and Winnall) I honestly think we can mount a very good challenge for the playoffs.

This league keeps turning itself inside-out, results wise and no-one's good enough to make a decisive move as yet.

I too am hopefully we can get FF, MM, Hooper back and firing but their availability over the last 12 months has been almost non existent and I can't see it changing, particularly as far as Hooper is concerned. 

The angry mob are always the loudest and quickest and categorising anybody taking any position other than theirs and lumping them together with a derogatory group title is a common and childish tactic and it seems so too on here these days.

Life is far more complicated than black and white, labels and namecalling, us and them and the truth is nearly always to be found in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I too am hopefully we can get FF, MM, Hooper back and firing but their availability over the last 12 months has been almost non existent and I can't see it changing, particularly as far as Hooper is concerned. 

IMO Hooper's a massive miss when he's not playing - he's always looking for space and available for a pass.

i normally have more patience than most on here, always takes me a few months longer to want a manager gone.

same this time, based on the squad we have i am happy for him to keep going. unless we could get McCarthy.

Dunno why but sometimes you get a club, or squad, that fits a manager. I know there are managers out there who have had promotions more recently (Jocanovic, Bruce etc) but i just think us, our squad and MM would be the best chance of success with the squad we have atm, plus a couple of cheap newbies.

29 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

tbh cant help but think god help those that are happy under the current regime 

I don't think anyone is genuinly happy. Are they?

I think it's more of a sliding scale which starts somewhere near grudging acceptance that we're "meh" at best a bit of "it's the Wednesday way" in the middle  right down to the other end finishing with "super angry" and "Why do I even bother"

• Thanks 1

Good OP

I'm a "miserable clapper" insomuch as I can see why people aren't happy with things, but more often than not, I don't think changing the manager is the answer; the problems tend to run far deeper.

I think that's particularly true now. We have a huge wage bill which is taken up by a mixture of players who aren't fit enough, aren't good enough or don't care enough. Jos is trying to blood the youngsters who will be the only options next year as those who's contracts are running out leave and P&S bites.

I wish he'd stop fu*king about with the backline and I think the football is pretty dire, but I genuinely believe that any manager would struggle right now. Those who believe we could get Jokanovic in and he'd pick Westwood and Hutchinson and we'd start shooting up the league are living in cloud cuckoo land IMO.

• Like 3

I reckon most understand with injuries and lack of investment it’s a tough job. That said, it’s his responsibility to sort it out, if he can’t then he should have no complaints if he’s replaced. Probably most reasonable fans would feel similar. Support the manager but have realistic expectations in regards to results & performance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yellowbelly said:

I reckon most understand with injuries and lack of investment it’s a tough job. That said, it’s his responsibility to sort it out, if he can’t then he should have no complaints if he’s replaced. Probably most reasonable fans would feel similar. Support the manager but have realistic expectations in regards to results & performance.

That's a good post.. I'm pretty much alligned with it... if it's his responsibility to sort it out then surely he needs a season or two to do just that.

We really need to take a wider view than some fervent fans ( I can see their point) and see that he's trying to square a circle.

It's incredibly frustrating but we'll have to enjoy the youngsters coming through until the end of the season horiblus.

This is the new reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think anyone is genuinly happy. Are they?

I think it's more of a sliding scale which starts somewhere near grudging acceptance that we're "meh" at best a bit of "it's the Wednesday way" in the middle  right down to the other end finishing with "super angry" and "Why do I even bother"

Well put, just because I'm not after Jos doesn't mean I'm happy with things at the club.

A bit like my good lady, never happy with me but broadly accepting of how difficult I make life look cos I've always been that way. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

It depends what your benchmark of sorting it out is and how fairly aligned that is with the clubs circumstances.

Carlos sorting it out meant to me winning promotion, Jos sorting it out means blood youngsters and stay up. 

It is what it is, a forum some on here can get all hysterical, some angry, silly, argumentative or childish there's a full spectrum of different people from differing backgrounds ages and schooling, so just like watching Wednesday there's always a mixed bag of results. 

I'm an ex engineer, spent too many hours been tought to solve problems and be rational in my thinking and with a sound grounding of tactics and strategies, but even I end up being drawn into the odd sillyness or hystrionics now and then it's quite engaging and a little light relief from the day to day brain hurt of life. 

What I'm saying is take it as it is, either engage or scroll by and take a bit of enjoyment when it appears. 

• Like 3