15 Championship Clubs want more from Sky Deal.

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Why should we care about Accrington, Doncaster etc  you could argue there are too many professional clubs 6 within 15 miles of us. Maybe Prem and championship is enough with the rest going part time/ amateur etc. Players would still be developed but maybe having resources concentrated on top 2 leagùes would strengthen the English game overall, instead of scattering minimal funds to lower league clubs. Might seem heartless, but still support the team whichever league we are in so sure other fans will keep supporting their clubs.

In which case why should the Premier League care about the rest of us?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

In which case why should the Premier League care about the rest of us?

The club's probably don't, but the PL would see a PL2 as a buffer in protecting their brand ie I would assume that they would get more viewers for Leeds villa than Cardiff v Burnley especially for the foreign views. So could see PL wanting the "big" clubs from the EFL. 

Not fair but all about the money to all the clubs now.

If Sunderland don't go up I wonder whether they will offer them a place in pl2

Also what about Portsmouth and Coventry both large provincial clubs. Finally Ofcourse if this is  purely Money orientated what about  the Glasgow clubs

Edited by Geedee

As much as I disagree with the general money situation and the weighting of its distribution, there surely can't be anyone on here who genuinely believes a "stand-alone" league consisting of the aggrieved clubs would ever happen.

It's a mess just thinking about it.

The best that can be hoped for is for Sky to re-think the £££. My guess is that this is the main objective of the 15 clubs kicking off rather than seriously considering a split of the classic league set up. 

Think part of the problem is the TV deals are for the entire EFL - Championship, League One and League Two. 

Must be a handful of League One games on a season (excluding the playoffs) and even fewer games in League Two. 

Clearly, these 15 think they deserve a greater share or more money from Sky, considering the amount of Championship games which are broadcasted every week. 

The idea of the 15 breaking away or forming a Premier League 2...

Can't see it myself and I'd hate such a thing to happen. 

Tbh I just want the FFP/P&S rules to be redrawn. The £39m losses over three seasons was drawn up almost 5 years ago and since then at least 3-4 players a year now go for upwards of £15-20m in the championship alone and a neymar/mbappe combo deal for upwards of £300m has massively inflated the market worldwide.

We've mismanaged ourselves, that can't be denied, but I feel the rules are badly out of date and either need changing so the league can fully sustain itself in the current selfish financial machine football finds itself in or they need scrapping completely.

On top of this, most clubs have multi millionaire/billionaire owners now who are willing to pump in huge outlays so that begs the question, who exactly are these rules meant to be protecting?

P.s don't put the premier league, it's just common knowledge now that they're a protection racket. I would prefer the question to be more meaningful than that. lol

Edited by SupremeOwl

The championship is already becoming PL2. The name change to the Championship was the first step. Unless the league realise this and allow clubs either the funding or the spending freedom they seek, then it’s only a matter of time. The league relies on Pl solidarity money so won’t stand up against parachute cash so they’re in a tight spot.

Why don't we just scrap the Premier League and go back to the old Division 1 system ?

the whole EFL is governed as 1 from top to bottom, money is distributed more evenly and football is the focus. Sky and other broadcasters should be dictated to by the EFL not the other way around.

Wont happen like as football is no longer about football but would make the game better and fairer.

When we have a system where a club can be promoted from the championship,  fail miserably,  and get relegated after one season and come back down armed with £150m , PLUS failure payments for three years , then you know the entire set up is foooked. 

• Like 2

When the top 20 team negotiate a deal where they each get over £100m a season and the other 72 teams governing body negotiates a deal where they higher teams in the championship only get about £4m a year 25 times less than those in the premier league and also the EFL allows midweek games to be screen live where the clubs lose revenue on, this part of the deal alone could lose clubs a million a season 

2,000 fans not turning up at £35 a head over 23 games = £1.6m in lost revenue 

I have long said we need a shake up at the EFL they sign some rubbish deals for the 72 league teams and get the scraps of the tv deals, then they allow teams to come down with £100m+ parachute payments, then argue that it makes it a fair playing field for all 24 teams in the championship. Income from Parachute payments should be excluded from the relegated company accounts and then these clubs treated the same way as those already in the league. 

This may prevent the money being used on transfer fees and high salaries and instead being used for what they were to pay the costs of getting relegated. Not as a war chest to get re promoted.

If parachute payments were spent where they're supposed to be spent then I wouldn't have a problem with them, as the way they are being used now is a joke. 

A team coming down gets £30m, which is supposed to help them cover PL wages still being paid until they can get rid of those players /negotiate a new contract but they don't, they go out and spend it on more players, which in turn makes the other teams do the same (namely us) that can't afford to spend like that and then get in to poo, then get fined /embargoed for the pleasure (they're already in the poo but yeah, let's take some more money off them :blink:

There needs to be tougher regulations on what teams can spend the PP on but obviously it'll never happen cause the PL teams will never go for it. 

Edited by Spuddy01
Typo

10 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

If parachute payments were spent where they're supposed to be spent then I wouldn't have a problem with them, as the way they are being used now is a joke. 

A team coming down gets £30m, which is supposed to help them cover PL wages still being paid until they can get rid of those players /negotiate a new contract but they don't, they go out and spend it on more players, which in turn makes the other teams do the same (namely us) that can't afford to spend like that and then get in to poo, then get fined /embargoed for the pleasure (they're already in the poo but yeah, let's take some more money off them :blink:

There needs to be tougher regulations on what teams can spend the PP on but obviously it'll never happen cause the PL teams will never go for it. 

Bang on the money mate.

16 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

Its actually £40 million fella, which makes your point even more valid. 

4 hours ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Its actually £40 million fella, which makes your point even more valid. 

And if that doesn't work, at the end of the season they get another nice big bag of money to go and try again! 

Needs abolishing or be made to use it properly. 

8 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

If the '15' do break away and we're not one of them, winning the Championship would get a whole lot easier,.

Although we'd probably end up getting beat by Donny in the playoff semis.

It wont happen will it, blackmail rarely works when nobody wants what you've got.

Could very well happen, after all it's how the Prem came to be in the first place

On 12/11/2018 at 14:51, room0035 said:

What should have been adopted years ago is the Nascar rule - every club gets the same money to spend, how they spend it is their choice, go over and they are automatically relegated.

The better run clubs will always succeed or those who invest wisely.

The current system is the rich get richer and the rest can sod off. 

We’d have suffered back to back relegations then!

• Haha 1