15 Championship Clubs want more from Sky Deal.

There’s some massive clubs in this league with long, rich histories and impressive fan bases stretching around the world. The leagues competitive nature & sheer unexpectedness make it popular at home and abroad. Teams are also now attracting “celebrity” managers (Bielsa, Lampard) & generally the standard of football is pretty good. Yet we all get paid a pittance in tv revenue. If the efl had an operator like Scudamore in charge this would be the second richest league in the world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

There’s some massive clubs in this league with long, rich histories and impressive fan bases stretching around the world. The leagues competitive nature & sheer unexpectedness make it popular at home and abroad. Teams are also now attracting “celebrity” managers (Bielsa, Lampard) & generally the standard of football is pretty good. Yet we all get paid a pittance in tv revenue. If the efl had an operator like Scudamore in charge this would be the second richest league in the world.

I assume the Premier league is the first. Do you really think our second division is worth more than the Spanish top flight. 

Edited by Geedee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2018 at 08:03, theowlsman said:

I’ve done my bit. Sacked them off three years ago and never went back despite their pestering, and all kinds of offers, to get me back as a customer.

Try it people, it’s very liberating. Then switch to IPTV.

Done exactly the same. 

I had great enjoyment in smashing up their satellite dish and giving it to the scrap man.

Still no one has said why it's Sky at fault?

To endorse the fact that the clubs are to blame is this £5m pay off to Scudamore!!

The clubs idea 100%

250k each could be spent so much better, cheaper tickets, free shirts, new football facilities for the community  - NOPE! give it some bloke who is retiring.

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

Wouldn't it be good if football clubs that got millions upon millions of pounds decided to not make people who only get hundreds of pounds, have to pay hundreds of pounds to take their working class family to watch millionaires play football. 

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

I assume the Premier league is the first. Do you really think our second division is worth more than the Spanish top flight. 

Bar 3 teams the championship have more bigger clubs. Forest, Leeds, Derby, Villa, Ipswich, ourselves and a few others are at least equal to most teams in la liga in terms of fan base & historical success. Throw in the fact the championship is more competitive than most top flights in Europe I would probably say in the right hands it would generate more revenue than it does at the present. This is the reason these big European clubs want to break away, their leagues generate little interest internationally therefore little cash

• Like 1

Mm, throw more money at the championship.

So the larger clubs in the championship would pay more for players and pay bigger wages.

Smaller clubs wouldn't be able to compete, just make the numbers up, as in the prem.

So complaining about sky, greedy clubs in the prem spoiling football etc is a bit hypocritical.

To get round it though why not have a championship 2 :biggrin:

• Like 1

The question should be are the premier League onboard? Do they see it as viable, would they operate a closed shop of two divisions? Is a broadcaster interested, would it have to be sky. Would the EFL be cut adrift or would there be strict entry qualifications to make relegation/ promotion unlikely or is it just a ruse to pry more money from sky and for some clubs a way of getting rid of FFP. Until we have more information it’s impossible to make a judgment on whether it’s a good or bad idea 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 11:19, outlaw pete said:

I must confess I enjoy sky sports.

they are good at presenting live sport ,

But IMO it’s the greed of the clubs that is ruining football, 

but while the EPL can sell their broadcasting rights all over the world the wages of players will only increase.

UTO

I wonder if we ready for the EFL 48?

We'll finally be able to win the Championship again when they rename League One the Championship.

Football never learns.

13 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Or perhaps not...

The plot thickens....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46267320

Think we might be looking at all out war, with a breakaway reading that. 

By making the money at the top so high, its creating a massive money grab below. 

Edited by Maddogbob

4 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Think we might be looking at all out war, with a breakaway reading that. 

By making the money at the top so high, its creating a massive money grab below. 

Personally, id like to see the EFL split away from the Premier league and have a 72 team competition where clubs can compete without having to cripple themselves with debt chasing the premier league golden ticket . It would also take away teams with the failure payments that give them an unfair advantage over everyone else in the EFL. 

Let the premier league sod off and eat itself .

• Like 2