Winnall

Lee 

Abdi

Jones

Boyd

Van Aken

Hutchinson

Westwood

In addition, over the summer we lost Jack Hunt, Venancio, Loovens, Clare and Wallace.

That's 15 players who could easily have been in an 18 man match day squad last year. I'd estimate that represents 75% of last year's total wage bill not being put on the field. 

Jordan Rhodes has been sent out on loan to reduce the wage bill. We have been in a transfer embargo. 

We have brought in only Onomah and Hector (looking an inspired deal) on loan. 

We're starting 4 youth teamers who didn't have a sniff before Jos came in 11 months ago. We've fielded a bench with 6 academy graduates recently. 

Now we can argue forever about who is injured, who is not, what is going on behind the scenes. The truth is no one knows.

All I know is last night I saw a Wednesday team absolutely run themselves into the ground for the shirt, the boss and the fans. I think that's a good point at the Starter Home, especially given the decimation of the squad. 

Last year they couldn't beat our reserves. This year they couldn't beat the youth team. Billy Blunt bottled taking a penalty in front of the Wednesdayites. A boyhood Owl saved a penalty.

In context of the season, IF we get to Christmas 6 points off the play offs, and get Forestieri, Hooper and Winnall back fit for the new year I think we'll give it a hell of a go. Pace and creativity up front is a game changer for this team. We've even missed Matias!

Whatever happens, there will be an absolute fortune released from wages in the summer. And I can guarantee Chasiri will have learnt his lesson and it'll go on young, hungry, talented boys with a point to prove. 

Back this manager. Back this chairman. 

Keep the faith. 

• Like 2

6 points off the play offs at Christmas :-) we are only heading one way under the negative football under Jos and that is not towards the play offs. We have 1 point from the last 15 and we are playing some terrible dull football. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

3 minutes ago, IanHendon said:

Missing from the squad last night:

Forestieri

Hooper

Winnall

Lee 

Abdi

Jones

Boyd

Van Aken

Hutchinson

Westwood

In addition, over the summer we lost Jack Hunt, Venancio, Loovens, Clare and Wallace.

That's 15 players who could easily have been in an 18 man match day squad last year. I'd estimate that represents 75% of last year's total wage bill not being put on the field. 

Jordan Rhodes has been sent out on loan to reduce the wage bill. We have been in a transfer embargo. 

We have brought in only Onomah and Hector (looking an inspired deal) on loan. 

We're starting 4 youth teamers who didn't have a sniff before Jos came in 11 months ago. We've fielded a bench with 6 academy graduates recently. 

Now we can argue forever about who is injured, who is not, what is going on behind the scenes. The truth is no one knows.

All I know is last night I saw a Wednesday team absolutely run themselves into the ground for the shirt, the boss and the fans. I think that's a good point at the Starter Home, especially given the decimation of the squad. 

Last year they couldn't beat our reserves. This year they couldn't beat the youth team. Billy Blunt bottled taking a penalty in front of the Wednesdayites. A boyhood Owl saved a penalty.

In context of the season, IF we get to Christmas 6 points off the play offs, and get Forestieri, Hooper and Winnall back fit for the new year I think we'll give it a hell of a go. Pace and creativity up front is a game changer for this team. We've even missed Matias!

Whatever happens, there will be an absolute fortune released from wages in the summer. And I can guarantee Chasiri will have learnt his lesson and it'll go on young, hungry, talented boys with a point to prove. 

Back this manager. Back this chairman. 

Keep the faith. 

Your perspective is a little detached from reality fella.

• Haha 2

I think your comments are accurate but we lack quality to stay within touch of playoffs. if we brought another youngster in who transformed U/18 form into Championship form that is only way could see us rising to that level and its a long shot.

Baker did particularly well last night battled really hard and was pleased for the lad. Penney was played in midfield and is clearly better at full back. think we play in that position as he is one of few we have who has a modicum of pace and running power.

Thank God for some positivity for once. I've seen many a owlstalker screaming out for effort, determination and passion during our losing run. I saw that in spades last night. Especially from hector, thornily, Joey, Fletcher. Yes we didn't play well, but realistically apart from their undeserved pen what clear cut chances did they have? I seem to remember long range shots only? We missed from 5 yards, surely this goes down as the best chance of the match? I watched the match with a spurs fan and an arsenal fan and both side at the end "only 6 points off play offs"...if we were 7th and 6 points off playoffs we'd be happy wouldn't we? 

3 minutes ago, Quist said:

I think your comments are accurate but we lack quality to stay within touch of playoffs. if we brought another youngster in who transformed U/18 form into Championship form that is only way could see us rising to that level and its a long shot.

Baker did particularly well last night battled really hard and was pleased for the lad. Penney was played in midfield and is clearly better at full back. think we play in that position as he is one of few we have who has a modicum of pace and running power.

Getting one of Matias or Forestieri back fit for Derby will be helpful. Put some pace up top with Fletcher. Put Reach in the hard running midfield role. Put Penney in at LWB and drop Fox. That looks a much stronger team. No coincidence our bad run coincided with a lack of pace up front. 

10 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

6 points off the play offs at Christmas :-) we are only heading one way under the negative football under Jos and that is not towards the play offs. We have 1 point from the last 15 and we are playing some terrible dull football. 

I think you'll find that giving teams absolute gifts over the last five games has got us in to this mess - not Jos.

The mood this morning is still depressingly negative so I don’t suppose you’ll get much favourable reaction to that.

A well balanced and optimistic post though and I agree with much of what you say.

Last night showed that when the team is under pressure against a team in form they can be focussed and defend in numbers.

This however showed up a glaring problem. The team just cannot defend solidly and at the same time pose any threat going forward. Yes, returning players will help but Jos really must work on our forward movement and ball retention.

I suspect Jos will survive and give us a mid table finish even with the decimated squad we now have.

If he does stay though he must find a way of freshening up the team in spite of the likely future transfer embargo.

I’m all for being optimistic and supportive BUT we must also be realistic.