Bannan last niight

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

I accept he his whole hearted and definitely shows passion and encouragement but success is counted in assists made telling forwarded passes successful tackles and goals. When you look at his record it unfortunately means he is very easy to play against. I would be surprised if anybody bought him. The recent Aston Villa speculation was ballswash they are trying to reduce wage bill not increase it and will be trying to offload players.

How can any player, in this squad, under this manager be considered successful ? He is better going forward and currently playing in s system that doesn't suit him.

I'm judging him on what he's done since he joined, not since Lukuhay joined.

If Villa are trying to unload, somebody ought to tell Jack Grealish. I don't imagine Abraham will be playing for £50 a week either.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

How can any player, in this squad, under this manager be considered successful ? He is better going forward and currently playing in s system that doesn't suit him.

I'm judging him on what he's done since he joined, not since Lukuhay joined.

If Villa are trying to unload, somebody ought to tell Jack Grealish. I don't imagine Abraham will be playing for £50 a week either.

Yes he does have attacking skills but no pace so has to drop deep as he is easy to mark and dispossess in final third of field. Under CC he played very deep where he was not marked and tried to hit wonder balls, which occasionally come off. The opposition teams learned to have a forward approach him and he turns and passes back. He has skills but fitting him into a team when faced with high tempo opposition is extremely difficult.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Christ

I dread to think just how few times we managed to get into the opponents half without Bannan playing

We did not do too bad against West Brom in fact probably best performance in some ways of season. If opposition play high tempo football and or have high energy midfield look at stats from games you will see how effective or ineffective players are. Ask why do teams allow certain players to have ball and mark others. Reach is now a marked man he has a player on him in all games because he can create and score goals.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's ok to say a player had an off day

Yep. That’s fine Neil. He had a poor match by his own high standards. 

However I can’t believe some of the other criticism of him and his whole game.

I think we’d have been screwed well and truly without him this season

36 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

You need to watch the game again! loads of misplaced passes and let players run past him all game. Always looking for the Hollywood pass and it didn't come off once. 

If you think running in a big arch at the keeper actually does anything other than use energy then more fool you and him. Fans clap this pointless run ffs. 

Ps I love Bannan but he's a million miles off his best. 

We hoofed it long at every opportunity so one assumes this was on the instruction of Jos. 

I think he’s been off his game for a few games now. Not terrible, but not the form he had at the beggining if the season. 

Not going to slate him though, he’s basically got an impossible job at the moment. He can thrive in this squad if we get the balance right. He needs help. 

Just said in another thread that, if you look back at Carlos' first season and the excellent pass and move game we played

there's only Bannan that's really left regularly playing. Forestieri, Hooper, Lee, Wallace, Hunt and Pudil were all integral to

the quality football we were playing back then. Until we get the likes of the first three back (plus Matias, maybe) the style of

football may not be the best to watch but if it get's us points and some momentum, then so be it.

33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not sure forums are right for you if we can't discuss players performances after games

I agree but it does seem rather harsh to start a critical thread that singles out our star player because he's had one below par performance. It's hard to escape the impression that some posters on here just love any opportunity to stick the boot in.

Bannan goes a bit Gerrard at times when we are struggling. 

Tries to take on too much responsibility, do too much and sometimes overcomplicate. 

That is just a symptom of the lack of quality he is playing with at the moment, not really a slight on him.

42 minutes ago, andytrig said:

@Lee Strafford misspelled night, there is only one i in the word that I'm aware of.

Proving it is possible to make mistakes and presumably you made yours under far less pressure than Bannan did last night.

Let's not hound everyone for the sake of it please. He wasn't at his best last night but as others have said, he played slightly out of position and is trying to carry a struggling side at times almost on his own.

Major surgery, nightmare caskateers, widespread corruption on and off the pitch, autistic son getting bullied in primary school cause of my role at the club, and police protection due to death threats, yeah not much pressure there.....sorry for the typo though I'm a bit dyslexic....

It's a team game, and whilst I'm sure Bannan will be disappointed with his individual performance, I think he was an important part of the collective team effort.

On his day he's a very good player at this level and important to any attacking ambitions we might have, but always likely to find last night a stretch.

If you lot think Bannon was off form last night then as a neutral ( actually I wanted you to win) I think you must have all been spoilt!

i watched the game on Sky and he looked pretty good to me. 

Putting things into context - the Blades were at home and were on the front foot from the start as you’d expect but your guys defended fantastically and the Dawson penalty save was superb. 

You didn’t threaten much but after conceding 4 against Norwich I certainly would have gone gung ho but do exactly what you did - tighten up defensively and I thought the draw draw was well deserved. 

Edited by Alan Robinson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Bach said:

Bannan was rubbish last.

Bordering on liability.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Quality player in a very poor side.

2nd half his passing was abysmal, there was a spell where he gave away 4 or 5 sloppy passes in their half and put us back under pressure. To his credit he kept going and maintained his work rate.

He was obviously frustrated - as the player who dictates our ball retention and starts our attacking moves last night was a nightmare for him as his only outlet in terms of us keeping the ball was Fletcher, Utd knew this and found it easy to stop that from happening. Although his passing was poor all too often he had no movement ahead of him and nobody to give the ball to in order to develop play.