Cameron Dawson - Owls legend in making

lads a good keeper and if he keeps progressing he'll fetch in far more of a  transfer fee than westwood would so it makes sense for the club to back him for the number 1 spot . thorniley and possibly penney are in the same boat which again says we should keep pushing them forward in place of the worthless older players that some are clamouring  for....good young championship players can fetch in a lot of money ,the sort of money that gets rid of problems like FFP   …. 

2 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

The new Bob Bolder?

Remember when we got beaten 3-0 at home and Bolder got booed because the fans wanted Chris Turner back in goal. Jack Charlton had decided we needed a big goalkeeper (and a big centre-half and a big centre-forward) in the 3rd division and thought Bolder was more suitable than Turner. He said if the fans would lay off him Bolder would become a great keeper and he was right - one of the best we've ever had.

Could be happening again. For me last night the way he plucked that high ball out from the sky when under pressure was just as impressive as the penalty.

Bolder was dropped for a few games after that and came back with a vengeance. His performance in the first half of the BDM (which up to half time was very evenly contested) certainly won any of the remaining doubters over and he was outstanding afterwards.

Let's hope that last night's game has the same effect for Cameron, both in terms of his own confidence and the fans attitude to him. Would love him to become the number one for the next 15 years and go on to break our all time appearance record.

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

lads a good keeper and if he keeps progressing he'll fetch in far more of a  transfer fee than westwood would so it makes sense for the club to back him for the number 1 spot . thorniley and possibly penney are in the same boat which again says we should keep pushing them forward in place of the worthless older players that some are clamouring  for....good young championship players can fetch in a lot of money ,the sort of money that gets rid of problems like FFP   …. 

Equally cutting as much of the overpaid deadwood who are on huge wages would have a similar effect.

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Equally cutting as much of the overpaid deadwood who are on huge wages would have a similar effect.

who'd want em on the money they earn here …….I doubt any of those out of contract that get released will sign for more money at there next clubs …….selling the young players if they look like making the grade is inevitable if a prem club comes calling . 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

who'd want em on the money they earn here …….I doubt any of those out of contract that get released will sign for more money at there next clubs …….selling the young players if they look like making the grade is inevitable if a prem club comes calling . 

We can have a big clearout at the end of the season (maybe even start the ball rolling in January) and see where we stand then. Right now I'd be loathe to sell any of the youngsters unless it was for stupid money.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

We can have a big clearout at the end of the season (maybe even start the ball rolling in January) and see where we stand then. Right now I'd be loathe to sell any of the youngsters unless it was for stupid money.

thankfully there's a lot of stupid money floating round the prem clubs …I cant think of many championship  clubs or players who say no thanks if the prem show an interest ….. 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

thankfully there's a lot of stupid money floating round the prem clubs …I cant think of many championship  clubs or players who say no thanks if the prem show an interest ….. 

Oh I agree, and 10 million + speaks volumes, but getting rid of a load of 15/20K+ per week earners over the next 6 or 7 months would work wonders for us and FFP (hopefully), so it may be a matter of choice selling any youngsters rather than necessity.

Right now I'd settle for both Reach and FF moving in January to cover FFP.

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Before we signed Bolder he had been back up keeper to Ray Clemence at Liverpool for a few years but I think he never made an appearence for them, so though he wasn't a youngster he hadn't any first team experience.

Not quite. We signed him as a 19 year old from Dover FC. He played 200 games for us before becoming understudy of Bruce Grob at Annfield, but never played a game for Liverpool. Grob in turn had a loan period with SWFC but never featured in a game for us.