Not much to be positive about tonight I'm afraid

35 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I'm astounded by some of the negativity tonight.  

That what we played wasn't negative, many posters on here said we would get a hammering.  

The porkers weren't anything special.  

Whats that say about us then ? 

14 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Bannans well over rated. Didn't think he offered anything at all

Fletcher tries hard

Hector and Dawson better game

Penney and Joey ran loads, reyt distance covered by penney but to no avail

Thorniley solid

Yeah, those guysbplayed well, baker played well as well

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

What is going on on here?

We’ve just lost 4 in a row, playing against our rivals who are riding high and score for fun, we’ve kept a clean sheet for the first time which is huge for our young keeper and other youngsters.

We aren’t a force in this division any more, and will not be until a clear out is done. People have to get it out of their heads that we are this amazing team in this division.

Arnt you ashamed that a Wednesday manager didnt try to win a game against the Pigs ? 

15 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Bannans well over rated. Didn't think he offered anything at all

Fletcher tries hard

Hector and Dawson better game

Penney and Joey ran loads, reyt distance covered by penney but to no avail

Thorniley solid

Bannan is totally ineffective when sides close him down,, I agree well overrated.

Showed some real desire 2nd half though, that closing down the keeper then back tackling on halfway spoke volumes about his desire and for m3 rubbed off on those around him.

"Nothing much to be positive about tonight, I'm afraid " was the thread title, right?

1) Dawson, Thorniley, Penney & Baker - all in the academy last season yet stood tall in an intimidating atmosphere and came through it with credit.

2) Dawson kept his first clean sheet of the season and saved a penalty - very possibly leading to increased confidence for him going forward which ought to be a good thing going forward for him (and hopefully his form for us).

3) Many fans were concerned we could be in the end of a proper thrashing .  We didn't, we drew.

4) We showed a spirit and determination (which has been lacking recently) and didn't just buckle.

5) We stopped the side with one of the best home records in the division from scoring.

6) We kept a clean sheet -after leaking 12 goals in our last 4 games (if my memory is correct).

7) We stopped the pigs from going top.

8) We came away from there undefeated with a point for the second time in a row despite being underdogs both times. Well, not according to Wilder obviously but....   I have seen vastly better sides than our current one come unstuck there whilst playing better football. The gloating from pig fans was still unpleasant even when we knew our team was far superior to theirs.  I am happy that we don't have to suffer that this weekend or on Monday.

So is everything rosy,peachy, a bowl of cherries and perfect for us at the moment?  Nope.

Do we have the right manager? Dunno to be honest. Possibly....but...,then again, possibly not .....

Do we want to see this "park the bus" footy all season? Nope, but we won't play that way every game. (I hope! :-)   )

But in terms of "nothing much to be positive about tonight"...........Oh come on.....!  if the points above aren't positives, then when does "nothing much" become "a little" or "something" or" quite a bit " to be positive about....?

Just because there are negatives doesn't mean that positives should be ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

weird init.

we wait and want sooo long, for a clean sheet, finally get one - at the stain of all places (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

yet loads of posters are gutted, ashamed even, surely thats wrong?!

im always positive.. and argue with the doom and gloomers on ere as much as anyone.. but for once, do they have a point?

i mean, wilder was a t0$$er in both tv and radio I/V's ... but we give him the chance to come out with that classless crap with our woeful 

err woeful tactics, not display, as we did what we set out to do. 

seem to remember CC saying after Burnley away defeat that we lost the game, but found a team.

its weird tonight cos im thinking the opposite as in 'we found the clean sheet' but sank to a new low in terms of 'surrendering' from the start.

they have won 1 in 5. they really aren't that good, but tonight, they was brilliant. mainly due to our tactics. 

more disappointed with tonight than any of the 4 defeats in a weird way, not in one way cos we battled and stopped the rot. but we sank to a new low in terms of tactics...against them and all!

Finally decided to launch the ball clear of danger.... hurrah.. but wait, lets start to do it on a night when we have nothing to make it stick up top! if we are gonna start doing that then we can start playing 5-2-3 or 4-3-3, could have had Fletcher Joao MM up top tonight chasing the hoofs.. woulda stopped them takin the pi$$ playing the game so high up the pitch.

as long as this is the low point (in terms of tactics) and its up from here, then good. but do folk wanna see that sort of thing week in week out while Joao MM and FF play bit parts?

Fletcher was the best forward player on the pitch tonight..a cut above, but tactically he didnt have a chance.

we was away on a bad run so context has to be taken, but even that said, the way we approached the game was a low point for me.

were better than that.

7 minutes ago, Mr Biscuits said:

"Nothing much to be positive about tonight, I'm afraid " was the thread title, right?

1) Dawson, Thorniley, Penney & Baker - all in the academy last season yet stood tall in an intimidating atmosphere and came through it with credit.

2) Dawson kept his first clean sheet of the season and saved a penalty - very possibly leading to increased confidence for him going forward which ought to be a good thing going forward for him (and hopefully his form for us).

3) Many fans were concerned we could be in the end of a proper thrashing .  We didn't, we drew.

4) We showed a spirit and determination (which has been lacking recently) and didn't just buckle.

5) We stopped the side with one of the best home records in the division from scoring.

6) We kept a clean sheet -after leaking 12 goals in our last 4 games (if my memory is correct).

7) We stopped the pigs from going top.

8) We came away from there undefeated with a point for the second time in a row despite being underdogs both times. Well, not according to Wilder obviously but....   I have seen vastly better sides than our current one come unstuck there whilst playing better football. The gloating from pig fans was still unpleasant even when we knew our team was far superior to theirs.  I am happy that we don't have to suffer that this weekend or on Monday.

So is everything rosy,peachy, a bowl of cherries and perfect for us at the moment?  Nope.

Do we have the right manager? Dunno to be honest. Possibly....but...,then again, possibly not .....

Do we want to see this "park the bus" footy all season? Nope, but we won't play that way every game. (I hope! :-)   )

But in terms of "nothing much to be positive about tonight"...........Oh come on.....!  if the points above aren't positives, then when does "nothing much" become "a little" or "something" or" quite a bit " to be positive about....?

Just because there are negatives doesn't mean that positives should be ignored.

about 5 of those points are just different ways of saying 'clean sheet' lol

I’m sorry but if as Sheffield Wednesday we feel it is acceptable to turn up to anyone, never mind our biggest rivals, as though we are a non league club trying to land a punch on the big premier league team  , it is not acceptable .

It is not acceptable and I don’t accept it.

We never tried to win tonight. We got lucky. We got a point but can we hold our heads up- don’t think we can , really 

the only silver lining is that we are at the bottom and they are at their best, but they are not good enough to go up on this showing 

2 minutes ago, enjoyyourfootball said:

I’m sorry but if as Sheffield Wednesday we feel it is acceptable to turn up to anyone, never mind our biggest rivals, as though we are a non league club trying to land a punch on the big premier league team  , it is not acceptable .

It is not acceptable and I don’t accept it.

We never tried to win tonight. We got lucky. We got a point but can we hold our heads up- don’t think we can , really 

the only silver lining is that we are at the bottom and they are at their best, but they are not good enough to go up on this showing 

Interesting observation this "we got lucky" care to expand ?

Hi Rumbelows, Maybe you are right there, as I typed as I went along and thought (ie: slowly!)

However, I do think that there are still quite a few positives (and after watching the Norwich debacle , any clean sheet should maybe deserve 5 different ways of saying it anyway...!) lol

However, I just feel that when you are playing badly, then you have to roll your sleeves up and battle and show that "pashun" and I think we saw that tonight from the team.

Like I said, whilst not ignoring or disregarding negatives, I believe there are still quite a few positives.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

So you're happy we went out and didn't try to win a game of football?

If he can't fathom a way of causing teams at least some sort of problem in their half of the pitch then he shouldn't be in any sort of job, certainly not one in the 4th/5th biggest league in the world.

I think you're blinded because it was against Sheffield United. If this was against Wolves last season, you'd have said it was a great result to stop the rot. You're down about it because it was against our biggest rivals. But at the end of the day, they are a top team in the division at the moment, and our best starting eleven at the moment would not look out of place in League One.

And come on, 4th/5th biggest league in the world? So you'd say The Championship is above one of the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1? 

22 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Interesting observation this "we got lucky" care to expand ?

Care to expand?

Are you fricking kidding me?

care to expand? 

Apart from the game I watched , which we’ll come back to shortly, let’s look at something objective like the stats on the BBC. They say:

possession : 75% to 25% to the blades

shots: 19:7 to the blades

shots on target : 5:1 to the blades 

corners: 12:4 to the blades

fouls: 5:11 to the owls 

I don’t think any of these are stats any team should aspire to, no matter who they are playing. 

And make no mistake about it, we played scared. We played like we were up against Man City away, not a bunch of fat chancers who couldn’t even find it in themselves to beat our sorry heap of crap. I can’t remember a shot in anger , apart from that fox miss, and even then it wasn’t him. 

Yeah so we got a point. I’m very happy we didn’t lose to them. 

But it if anyone thinks that’s how we should play, or what Sheffield Wednesday is, or should be , you are as bad as our disgrace of a manager and I’d suggest you should do one 

17 minutes ago, Carbone said:

I think you're blinded because it was against Sheffield United. If this was against Wolves last season, you'd have said it was a great result to stop the rot. You're down about it because it was against our biggest rivals. But at the end of the day, they are a top team in the division at the moment, and our best starting eleven at the moment would not look out of place in League One.

And come on, 4th/5th biggest league in the world? So you'd say The Championship is above one of the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1? 

“Top team in the division “

it is this kind of defensive thinking and undue respect that has seen us play like tonight  , like we are the non league team playing away at the big premier league team

it’s a total disgrace