Jump to content


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wow. I’ve got a lot of stick for this. I just can’t believe so many have such low expectations for their football club. Particularly when they support a side who are meant to be MASSIVE. 

 

If if you have a small club mentality you’ll become a small club. 

 

Context is everything.

 

We have won 1 trophy in 83 years and been out of the top division for 33 of the last 48 years (you can soon add another one to that). For long stretches of that period we have been heavily in debt and even appeared at the High Court as a consequence. Almost all of the managers in that time have eventually been sacked as they were unable to sustain a long run of success, even if they made a good start. Our players have barely featured as members of major international teams.

 

It seems to me that you have unrealistic expectations of what our 'level' actually is and berating supporters for not sharing these fantasies does not change the situation. Does that mean I'm happy at where we are? Of course not. I remember us still being mathematically involved in the biggest domestic prize of all with only 2 games of the season left. But stamping your feet and shouting at everybody is a waste of energy.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Our level up until a few years ago was a Championship/League One yoyo club...it was only in the last few seasons that we came remotely close to promotion to the Prem.

 

Unfortunately, due to poor management and the wasting of sizeable resources, we may well be returning to that...unless something changes quite drastically in the next few months.

 

Needless to say, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed by that performance last night. In an ideal world, we are giving them a good pasting with an even better side than that of the play off teams.

 

As it is, we have a cobbled together team of senior pros and kids with nearly all star names injured and/or deemed surplus to requirements. Considering that, I'm quite content to see us grind out a decent point against those scrotebags.

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

 United have, however, progressed from last January. Last night they were much better than us, last January not so when  indeed they failed to beat a team down to ten men for thirty minutes or so. Could be a long hard winter.

 

Your right there,  they have progressed since then.

 

Wilder has been able to bring in 15 permanent players since that match +3 loan players whilst shipping out some dead wood.

 

Our manager has been able to sign one player since that and had brought in 2 loan signings.

 

Funny how they've progressed and we seem to have a similar standard. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have no divine right to be in top league win games at request we are sheffield wednesday who are struggling at present so stop whinging and concentrate on supporting the club 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Your right there,  they have progressed since then.

 

Wilder has been able to bring in 15 permanent players since that match +3 loan players whilst shipping out some dead wood.

 

Our manager has been able to sign one player since that and had brought in 2 loan signings.

 

Funny how they've progressed and we seem to have a similar standard. 

I don't rate Jos, but yes, the fact he hasn't been given even the slightest opportunity to build his own team is often forgotten.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SiJ said:

 He hasnt been given even the slightest opportunity to build his own team is often forgotten.

 

 

Which in itself is remarkable in itself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

 

At kick off I’d have taken a 0-0 for sure as I thought we’d get smashed. 

 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

 

Should we accept this? Should we celebrate this?

As embarrassing as when that clown Carlos showed us a masterclass in the art of putting 11 men behind the ball against the other world class team Huddersfield. Nothing really to celebrate about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

 

At kick off I’d have taken a 0-0 for sure as I thought we’d get smashed. 

 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

 

Should we accept this? Shoukd we celebrate this?

We do not have any good defenders who can play in 4 at back and midfield lacks energy and pace. In last few weeks we have tried various combinations and tried to play expansive football and got stuffed. If you do not understand why we played the way we did I am not sure there is much point in trying to discuss tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Your right there,  they have progressed since then.

 

Wilder has been able to bring in 15 permanent players since that match +3 loan players whilst shipping out some dead wood.

 

Our manager has been able to sign one player since that and had brought in 2 loan signings.

 

Funny how they've progressed and we seem to have a similar standard. 

It's not just a question of personnel. We're still approaching games with no coherent team as the line ups are constantly changing as are the formations. Last night we battled hard but with no identifiable team plan other than to defend. The offensive threat was based around getting a few corners. We also have players that could be used but for whatever reason are not selected. Wilder has made the best use of his resources, we haven't.  Even if we have the same players, by now I would expect better performances than we have been getting under a good coach.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It's not just a question of personnel. We're still approaching games with no coherent team as the line ups are constantly changing as are the formations. Last night we battled hard but with no identifiable team plan other than to defend. The offensive threat was based around getting a few corners. We also have players that could be used but for whatever reason are not selected. Wilder has made the best use of his resources, we haven't.  Even if we have the same players, by now I would expect better performances than we have been getting under a good coach.

 

He baffles me at times I have to say.

Interesting his comments after the game last night about us not using the ball as well as he wanted going forward. Something mentioned pre match as something we also had to get nailed down. 

 

For all Uniteds domination we did have some decent  breaks where we made a bad pass selection or it was easily cut out. Bar radio controlling the players managers can't make every on field decision for them.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Snooty said:

 

He baffles me at times I have to say.

Interesting his comments after the game last night about us not using the ball as well as he wanted going forward. Something mentioned pre match as something we also had to get nailed down. 

 

For all Uniteds domination we did have some decent  breaks where we made a bad pass selection or it was easily cut out. Bar radio controlling the players managers can't make every on field decision for them.

When you do not send players forward in numbers, as United do, it is relatively easy to read the passes and cut them out. We had a defensive mindset last night as we had in January and there were very few out balls to relieve the constant pressure. Fortunately for us, United were poor in front of goal. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Which in itself is remarkable in itself!

It’s not as though he’s lumbered with a load of rubbish though is it. Imo he’s continued the decline that CC started

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

It’s not as though he’s lumbered with a load of rubbish though is it. Imo he’s continued the decline that CC started

 

Maybe , but losing 7 players and only being able to sign 1 for what is these days 4th divison money I think has put him in a timescale disadvantage to his predecessor. 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Maybe , but losing 7 players and only being able to sign 1 for what is these days 4th divison money I think has put him in a timescale disadvantage to his predecessor. 

 

 

I fully understand that, but imo he’s completely mismanaged the whole situation and squad since his arrival

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Maybe , but losing 7 players and only being able to sign 1 for what is these days 4th divison money I think has put him in a timescale disadvantage to his predecessor. 

 

 

I’m not sure that too many of those 7 were a great loss, and it has freed up space for the best of the youngsters to come through

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

 

At kick off I’d have taken a 0-0 for sure as I thought we’d get smashed. 

 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

 

Should we accept this? Shoukd we celebrate this?

Dear Aunt, What you have to understand is that form is temporary. If you are not a super team and we are not, then you must roll with the punches that fate delivers you. We didn't roll over and that should stand us in good stead as a few players recover fitness. Also, last night was an important marker to other teams on how to block the blunts, my hope is they learn from it !

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

time to judge him is when he  leaves ……..that first season of carlos we all thought we'd found a gem but 20 months later he was one of the most reviled managers we ever had …..jos could be one who goes the other way, struggles with the crap he's inherited and if he gets the chance to bring in players he can work with then maybe he'll get lauded as carlos did …... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might have been embarrassed but I felt some pride for the first time in weeks 

  • Disagree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoop said:

I fully understand that, but imo he’s completely mismanaged the whole situation and squad since his arrival

 

The selections have been random at times . Too random for my liking. Especially at the back.  

 

As for the non selectees - that's clearly a longer term view he has. They won't be around so he doesn't use them. Whether that's financial or short determined long term pragmatism I don't know but it's happening.

 

Whether the inclusion of those players might have helped us through some games we can only guess at. 

 

Overall I'm not sure how much higher in the table we'd possibly be with their inclusion. 

 

Hooper and Lee remain the biggest misses , IMO. 

 

Of those available I still think Forestieri remains our most decisive weapon. The suspension and Injuries lost some ground. But he looked as focused as I've seen him when he has played.  Hopefully an option the manager will have again soon.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

The selections have been random at times . Too random for my liking. Especially at the back.  

 

As for the non selectees - that's clearly a longer term view he has. They won't be around so he doesn't use them. Whether that's financial or short determined long term pragmatism I don't know but it's happening.

 

Whether the inclusion of those players might have helped us through some games we can only guess at. 

 

Overall I'm not sure how much higher in the table we'd possibly be with their inclusion. 

 

Hooper and Lee remain the biggest misses , IMO. 

 

Of those available I still think Forestieri remains our most decisive weapon. The suspension and Injuries lost some ground. But he looked as focused as I've seen him when he has played.  Hopefully an option the manager will have again soon.

Does that indicate then that he’s been told their contracts won’t be renewed? Can we then deduce that, Palmer and Matias will be kept on, and the likes of Forestieri, Bannan and Reach, won’t be sold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×