Embarrassed

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Your right there,  they have progressed since then.

Wilder has been able to bring in 15 permanent players since that match +3 loan players whilst shipping out some dead wood.

Our manager has been able to sign one player since that and had brought in 2 loan signings.

Funny how they've progressed and we seem to have a similar standard. 

I don't rate Jos, but yes, the fact he hasn't been given even the slightest opportunity to build his own team is often forgotten.

16 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

At kick off I’d have taken a 0-0 for sure as I thought we’d get smashed. 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

Should we accept this? Should we celebrate this?

As embarrassing as when that clown Carlos showed us a masterclass in the art of putting 11 men behind the ball against the other world class team Huddersfield. Nothing really to celebrate about. 

16 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

Should we accept this? Shoukd we celebrate this?

We do not have any good defenders who can play in 4 at back and midfield lacks energy and pace. In last few weeks we have tried various combinations and tried to play expansive football and got stuffed. If you do not understand why we played the way we did I am not sure there is much point in trying to discuss tactics.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Your right there,  they have progressed since then.

Wilder has been able to bring in 15 permanent players since that match +3 loan players whilst shipping out some dead wood.

Our manager has been able to sign one player since that and had brought in 2 loan signings.

Funny how they've progressed and we seem to have a similar standard. 

It's not just a question of personnel. We're still approaching games with no coherent team as the line ups are constantly changing as are the formations. Last night we battled hard but with no identifiable team plan other than to defend. The offensive threat was based around getting a few corners. We also have players that could be used but for whatever reason are not selected. Wilder has made the best use of his resources, we haven't.  Even if we have the same players, by now I would expect better performances than we have been getting under a good coach.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It's not just a question of personnel. We're still approaching games with no coherent team as the line ups are constantly changing as are the formations. Last night we battled hard but with no identifiable team plan other than to defend. The offensive threat was based around getting a few corners. We also have players that could be used but for whatever reason are not selected. Wilder has made the best use of his resources, we haven't.  Even if we have the same players, by now I would expect better performances than we have been getting under a good coach.

He baffles me at times I have to say.

Interesting his comments after the game last night about us not using the ball as well as he wanted going forward. Something mentioned pre match as something we also had to get nailed down. 

For all Uniteds domination we did have some decent  breaks where we made a bad pass selection or it was easily cut out. Bar radio controlling the players managers can't make every on field decision for them.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

He baffles me at times I have to say.

Interesting his comments after the game last night about us not using the ball as well as he wanted going forward. Something mentioned pre match as something we also had to get nailed down. 

For all Uniteds domination we did have some decent  breaks where we made a bad pass selection or it was easily cut out. Bar radio controlling the players managers can't make every on field decision for them.

When you do not send players forward in numbers, as United do, it is relatively easy to read the passes and cut them out. We had a defensive mindset last night as we had in January and there were very few out balls to relieve the constant pressure. Fortunately for us, United were poor in front of goal. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

It’s not as though he’s lumbered with a load of rubbish though is it. Imo he’s continued the decline that CC started

Maybe , but losing 7 players and only being able to sign 1 for what is these days 4th divison money I think has put him in a timescale disadvantage to his predecessor. 

Maybe , but losing 7 players and only being able to sign 1 for what is these days 4th divison money I think has put him in a timescale disadvantage to his predecessor. 

I fully understand that, but imo he’s completely mismanaged the whole situation and squad since his arrival

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I’m not sure that too many of those 7 were a great loss, and it has freed up space for the best of the youngsters to come through

17 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Should we accept this? Shoukd we celebrate this?

Dear Aunt, What you have to understand is that form is temporary. If you are not a super team and we are not, then you must roll with the punches that fate delivers you. We didn't roll over and that should stand us in good stead as a few players recover fitness. Also, last night was an important marker to other teams on how to block the blunts, my hope is they learn from it !

• Like 1

time to judge him is when he  leaves ……..that first season of carlos we all thought we'd found a gem but 20 months later he was one of the most reviled managers we ever had …..jos could be one who goes the other way, struggles with the crap he's inherited and if he gets the chance to bring in players he can work with then maybe he'll get lauded as carlos did …... 

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

I fully understand that, but imo he’s completely mismanaged the whole situation and squad since his arrival

The selections have been random at times . Too random for my liking. Especially at the back.  

As for the non selectees - that's clearly a longer term view he has. They won't be around so he doesn't use them. Whether that's financial or short determined long term pragmatism I don't know but it's happening.

Whether the inclusion of those players might have helped us through some games we can only guess at. 

Overall I'm not sure how much higher in the table we'd possibly be with their inclusion. 

Hooper and Lee remain the biggest misses , IMO. 

Of those available I still think Forestieri remains our most decisive weapon. The suspension and Injuries lost some ground. But he looked as focused as I've seen him when he has played.  Hopefully an option the manager will have again soon.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The selections have been random at times . Too random for my liking. Especially at the back.  

As for the non selectees - that's clearly a longer term view he has. They won't be around so he doesn't use them. Whether that's financial or short determined long term pragmatism I don't know but it's happening.

Whether the inclusion of those players might have helped us through some games we can only guess at. 

Overall I'm not sure how much higher in the table we'd possibly be with their inclusion. 

Hooper and Lee remain the biggest misses , IMO. 

Of those available I still think Forestieri remains our most decisive weapon. The suspension and Injuries lost some ground. But he looked as focused as I've seen him when he has played.  Hopefully an option the manager will have again soon.

Does that indicate then that he’s been told their contracts won’t be renewed? Can we then deduce that, Palmer and Matias will be kept on, and the likes of Forestieri, Bannan and Reach, won’t be sold?

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Does that indicate then that he’s been told their contracts won’t be renewed? Can we then deduce that, Palmer and Matias will be kept on, and the likes of Forestieri, Bannan and Reach, won’t be sold?

No idea.  The fact they aren't getting in the squad and the contracts run out in June/July is the only indicator I'm working off. 

It would be strange indeed go not play them...and then renew all their deals in the summer. I'd like to think even we aren't that crackers!

Forestieri,  Bannan,  Reach I think we'd all like to see a side built around. But we know the reality of the situation is that to undue the 3 years of insanity spending we might have to let those three go to try and create an all round more balanced squad. 

No idea.  The fact they aren't getting in the squad and the contracts run out in June/July is the only indicator I'm working off. 

It would be strange indeed go not play them...and then renew all their deals in the summer. I'd like to think even we aren't that crackers!

Forestieri,  Bannan,  Reach I think we'd all like to see a side built around. But we know the reality of the situation is that to undue the 3 years of insanity spending we might have to let those three go to try and create an all round more balanced squad. 

Only Palmer and Matias, of those out of contract, are regularly used That Jos doesn’t play the others, indicates that he’s decided those two will stay Or else, we’re both barking up the wrong tree

Edited by gurujuan