Embarrassed

Beating them always feels good, and not losing is the next best thing, so I’ll take that However, despite a gutsy rearguard performance, we look a million miles away from where we should be Given the players at his disposal, even allowing for the injuries, we should be doing so much better The fact that he chooses not to play some proven players, who many believe, would be useful in our situation, is neither here, nor there. According to Jos, the players he selects, are selected on merit, so our predicament is purely down to him

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Spot on. I honestly thought this would be the general consensus on here tonight, amazed at all the negativity.

A significant number have turned against the manager. Like toddlers having a tantrum, some of them will minimise (or even dismiss altogether) anything positive, exaggerate (or even invent) anything negative and will do so until they get what they want.

In the context of recent weeks, I think we ought to be reasonably satisfied with tonight's performance and result. But it is only one step down a long road.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nilsson said:

You are a deluded owl if you’re happy watching what we’ve seen this season with the wage bill going out 

I don't tend to bother myself with who gets paid what in a world where the lowest paid of any of them gets more per week than I get in three months. That level of salt will properly kill you.

Have a rum and ginger. Turn the fire up. Buy a squirrel. Life's...whatever.

You can ADORE Wednesday without literally going mental*.

*unproven by science tbf

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Haha 4

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

I don't tend to bother myself with who gets paid what in a world where the lowest paid of any of them gets more per week than I get in three months. That level of salt will literally kill you.

Fair point but the top teams in most leagues are the ones paying the £s out.

We’re getting outplayed by teams with much lower wage bills than us.

A better manager would get more out of our players

1 minute ago, nilsson said:

Fair point but the top teams in most leagues are the ones paying the £s out.

We’re getting outplayed by teams with much lower wage bills than us.

A better manager would get more out of our players

I know, but...still. I feel like I just wanna get you a pint and talk about something nice. Something you like. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

Hector's good though, isn't he?

Bah I'm just being daft, I do know what you mean.

Tonight's or8 though. It's or8.

Rest of the season...well, we'll see.... :ph34r:

Hector and Dawson class tonight.

I’m happy with the point but they’re not a great side and they bossed us.

A new manager could turn us around... I just don’t see Jos doing it

6 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Hector and Dawson class tonight.

I’m happy with the point but they’re not a great side and they bossed us.

A new manager could turn us around... I just don’t see Jos doing it

yeah I'm still very much on the fence with Jos, don't think that's a 'weak' position per se...I hate the typical manager merry-go-round and really glad we've not been a part of it for years now, but i do think we're sometimes guilty of giving people too long. (And that's not just a DC-era thing, although some act like it is. :ph34r: )

I dunno, i mean of course i hope it works out with Jos, he's a very honourable bloke and I like his style way more than Poundland Pashun managers.

But, cliche klaxon, it's a results business innit?

I've got what a lot of Wednesdayites clearly think are very low standards, but the yardstick for me is, it's gotta be top 10 by Christmas/New Year - gonna be hard to argue against a regime change if not. Injuries always a wildcard, but we've got a strong squad in theory, and should have enough back by then to be making much more effective use of it.

Edited by Mr. Tom

4 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

...but the yardstick for me is, it's gotta be top 10 by Christmas/New Year - gonna be hard to argue against a regime change if not. Injuries always a wildcard, but we've got a strong squad in theory, and should have enough back by then to be making much more effective use of it.

I simply don't agree. If you were managing one of the top teams in the division, who in our squad do you think might improve yours? It's not a very long list. And two of our very best players (Hooper and Lee) have not been available for a single game in the 11 months Luhukay has been at the club.

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I simply don't agree. If you were managing one of the top teams in the division, who in our squad do you think might improve yours? It's not a very long list. And two of our very best players (Hooper and Lee) have not been available for a single game in the 11 months Luhukay has been at the club.

Yep, that's fair. I'm not sure we're in a strong selling position at all. But isn't that mainly because the players we have got are a bit older, a bit slower etc, such that you wouldn't be looking to buy them - but you might still wish they were already your players? I mean, easy example to hand...McGoldrick. Sharp. Where are they going next, really? But both a right handful tonight. Fletcher, in a similar bracket. Hooper, when (if) fit? Lee(s)? And so on, and so on.

I know that sounds completely like clutching at straws, and in a way it is...but I do still think we've got a top 10 squad on paper, easily. Very few going to command any real fees, and that's the most criminal thing about our weird recruitment/no sales policy over the past 3ish years. But those that are here and are solid performers for the most part do still make us a team to be reckoned with IMO....WHEN we show up. God knows what's been going on of late.

Edited by Mr. Tom

5 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

yeah I'm still very much on the fence with Jos, don't think that's a 'weak' position per se...I hate the typical manager merry-go-round and really glad we've not been a part of it for years now, but i do think we're sometimes guilty of giving people too long. (And that's not just a DC-era thing, although some act like it is. :ph34r: )

I dunno, i mean of course i hope it works out with Jos, he's a very honourable bloke and I like his style way more than Poundland Pashun managers.

But, cliche klaxon, it's a results business innit?

I've got what a lot of Wednesdayites clearly think are very low standards, but the yardstick for me is, it's gotta be top 10 by Christmas/New Year - gonna be hard to argue against a regime change if not. Injuries always a wildcard, but we've got a strong squad in theory, and should have enough back by then to be making much more effective use of it.

Never want to see a merry go round but he’s had long enough. What is Jos’s style of football?

I’d back any manager if it looked like he had a plan to take us forward. 

So long as we’re not in the bottom 3 I don’t see league position that important this year. I’d just like to see the performances improve and us to get a settled team 

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

No one was born more of an owl than me. My Dad, his dad, all my brothers, sisters and cousins. My auntie and uncle. All Owls and I never had a choice. But I was told it was important because we’re the biggest club in Sheffield and I won’t just give that up and accept an underdog status. 

Sheff U define themselves by derbies. We define ourselves by trophies. 

Aww bless. That last line ? And you were doing so well!

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

...but I do still think we've got a top 10 squad on paper, easily. 

You're right that our recruitment has clearly been irresponsible, not only in terms of future planning, but even the basics of accumulating a balanced squad that compliments each other.

But I cannot agree with the statement I've quoted above. I think we are one of a large group of mediocre teams in the division that will be regularly swapping places. I'd consider 10th place slightly better than I was expecting.

1 minute ago, nilsson said:

Never want to see a merry go round but he’s had long enough. What is Jos’s style of football?

I’d back any manager if it looked like he had a plan to take us forward. 

So long as we’re not in the bottom 3 I don’t see league position that important this year. I’d just like to see the performances improve and us to get a settled team 

Definitely my two biggest concerns of the Jos era, totally agree there

Just now, DJMortimer said:

You're right that our recruitment has clearly been irresponsible, not only in terms of future planning, but even the basics of accumulating a balanced squad that compliments each other.

But I cannot agree with the statement I've quoted above. I think we are one of a large group of mediocre teams in the division that will be regularly swapping places. I'd consider 10th place slightly better than I was expecting.

Aye fair enough, perhaps I'm guilty of expecting more from the names on the teamsheet than they can realistically provide these days. Might well be DC's problem too.

Last season people were angry that Carvalhal was stubbornly consistent in his choices of formations, tactics and players. We now have a manager who is trying to make us more tactically adaptable and for the most part trying to keep everybody involved.

I'm not suggesting that Luhukay is getting everything right (he may be trying to change too much, too often, too quickly) but it does show that if supporters don't want them to, managers simply cannot win. 

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Last season people were angry that Carvalhal was stubbornly consistent in his choices of formations, tactics and players. We now have a manager who is trying to make us more tactically adaptable and for the most part trying to keep everybody involved.

I'm not suggesting that Luhukay is getting everything right (he may be trying to change too much, too often, too quickly) but it does show that if supporters don't want them to, managers simply cannot win. 

Managers can win. They need to win games.